DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe you all can assist me in completing it. A friend of mine came to me the other days, says... "Kenny, I want to make my truck sound "good"." I ask him what that entails. He wants to have good midbass, nice highs, and a minor substage to add in the bass notes...

So I tell him I can get it done, what is the budget? Here is where she gets about impossible. $500 is the budget.

What he needs:

Amp
Component set
Sub

For the amp I was thinking about doing the kicker ZX700.5 because I could bridge the front channels to a pair of components, then get a sub stage on the fifth channel, it's not my FIRST choice but it's cheap.

Component set, I need your help here. Something affordable yet able to provide nice midbass response and somewhat detailed highs. I know it's a tall order but somebody must have some input!

Sub, this part I am considering picking up an OZ ME, probably a 10. I have a 12, haven't used it yet (probably finishing the install this week) but I have been told nothing but good things about them. Especially for what they cost.

The amp can be had for around $250, the sub, about $120. That puts us at $370 already! IF there is a decent set of components out there for around... $200 I could probably badger him into spending more. i need to convince him to get some deadener too but... some people just don't know. To his other friends a $50 set of infinity coax do the trick.

Help a brotha out?:cool:

·
Registered
553 Posts
What HU does he plan on using? If you can do a 2-way active up front, you can get some great drivers for a good price.

What size mid does he need?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
6.5" mid, and not very deep at all. I know from experience that if I want to keep the door panel on the S-10 intact that they cannot be very deep. He has a nice headunit, but I don't know much as far as processing goes. It's an alpine IVA-D300. He bought it FOREVER ago...

I had never thought about going active, good thinking, but I wonder if the headunit would provide the flexibility. Probably not.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Someone had Type X components for sale on here.

PG Rsd components are a popular cheap set.

I put a set of CDT components in a buddies car for $99... This might get you a small amount for deadening and wires

If you go active there are plenty of affordable drivers that are very capable.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The RSD is what I was searching around the forum looking for... I have noticed them being mentioned and that they perform well. I need to do some research as to whether that headunit could provide an active setup. That will be a determining factor now.

Thanks so far for the help!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am a newb for the most part, I just know how to install things and make it work. I have not had enough experience when it comes to product in order to budget something like that. I mean for Gods sake my Dyns were more than his entire budget! haha

·
Registered
624 Posts
Start with speakers as they are the most important, then fill in the rest. Any shops you can go by to listen, to get an idea of what kind of sound he likes?

I'm sure you can find a cheaper amp setup.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I don't think his headunit has a crossover that can do that, you could always do it with the amp. Like the MB Quart PAB5400 - I used that to put a fully active setup in a buddys car. No T/A or anything but some decent tuning ability w/ crossovers and level setting.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Start with speakers as they are the most important, then fill in the rest. Any shops you can go by to listen, to get an idea of what kind of sound he likes?

I'm sure you can find a cheaper amp setup.
We don't have **** around here. One car audio shop and it's pretty much a dump. It's kind of weird too, we are in a well populated area. I only liked that amp because of the five channels.

I don't think his headunit has a crossover that can do that, you could always do it with the amp. Like the MB Quart PAB5400 - I used that to put a fully active setup in a buddys car. No T/A or anything but some decent tuning ability w/ crossovers and level setting.
I will look into that one as well, thanks!

·
Registered
516 Posts
My idea...

Tweets: Parts Express:Vifa XT25TG30-04 1" Dual Concentric Dome Tweeter

Midbasses: Parts Express:peerless 851123 CSX 6-1/2" Woofer 4 Ohm

Subwoofer: Parts Express:Dayton RSS210HF-4 8" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm

4-Ch: Parts Express:pyramid PB448X Super Blue 4x65W Amplifier

Sub Amp: Parts Express:pyramid PB449X Super Blue 2x125W Amplifier

Processor: Parts Express:pyramid CR-79G Electronic 3-Way Crossover

Combine that with a few budget radio shack cables and some peel n' seal and you're pretty rockin. I actually love those little Pyramid Amps and Processors. I've done a couple budget builds using them and they work wonderfully. No noise either, as long as they're installed properly.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
The Peerless above is a great start.

I have a 5 channel amp I'd be willing to let go for $150.00

Crossfire VR705D

Crossfire VR705D

Please note that ratings are at 12.5 volts, not 13.8 or 14.4.

The XT25 would have to be on-axis to get the best out of it. If that's not possible, the Morel MDT-12 might be an option or some of the Tang Band offerings.

Then a cheap active crossover like the Pyramid above, or I could sell you one that I have lying around for cheap as well. I have a few.

I also have a set of Seas Neo fabric domes that I'd let go for about $30.00 because on of the flanges has a chip in it. I have a set of XT25s but I'm saving those for a rainy day. I have a set of ooooooollld Audiobahn tweeters that you could have.

You know what, for $250.00 I could send you that amp, a pair of Vifa BG18 woofers, and the Seas Neo tweeters, and a crossover. Throw in another $40.00 and I can send a Mach Audio 10" subwoofer with it.

Good God, I need to get this stuff out of my garage.

Let me know if any, or all of the stuff above works for you.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
^ that's the list I wanted to see!

If you get time, could you pm me the rest?
Yeah, you I was just going to ship my garage to and let you take your pick. I know you now well enough to know you'll always second guess yourself if you don't have X, Y, and Z to compare to.

What do you want to know? My garage is buried right now from the winter, and I'm constantly surprised what I find floating around in there.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
MiniVanMan's crossfire is a SURE solution for an amp, no doubt. That's a killer basic amp and an entire solution probably.

Now, here's my solution:

Scosche EFX, $119.95; this is 4ch amp that will run your front components, and bridge for a basic sub. Later on, you can buy a mono EFX and REALLY get moving. But this will make your buddy happy on the CHEAP.

Phoenix Gold RSd's, available for around $50. Alternately, Blaupunkt Velocity components are available for about the same, and may work nicely as well.

A sub like the Zuki 10" for $125 should be awesome. Small box requirement, excellent sound quality, very "blendy", and powerful.

I'm only at ~$295 + shipping. You could snap up some deadening from a member for ~$40-50 (don't go without, consider it fundamental), and you can get a head unit if you need to, and all install equipment like a Knukonceptz install kit (~$58, 4ch 4gauge), and you're still way ahead.

If you want to upgrade to better components, consider the Pioneer 1720's (not 1702), or possibly even a pair of Image dynamics CTX comps. All under budget by quite a bit, still.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you guys are AWESOME! Thanks, Minivanman you will be getting a PM later this evening. i am sure we could work something out. keep the input coming though.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
those are being considered as well. But if I can do it cheaper, that's better.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
The lower end of the PRS line is still great, and will probably do the job. The TSD line I think it is. Or the 1720's.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts