DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went ahead and bought a JL Audio XD500/3 amp which puts out 300w @ 2Ω on the sub's channel.

I'm thinking of mating it with a 10w6v2 in a ported box.

I'm new to this so the porting has got me thoroughly confused. I can only go by JL's recommendations (22"x12"x10.75" box w/ 1.25"x10.5"x30" slot port) on the enclosure.

What happens if I wanted to change the dimensions of the enclosure while keeping close (maybe a little bigger) to the manufacturer's recommended volume? Would that change the recommended port size? I'd assume it would.

I think this is all a little over my head. I'd like to try and DIY but I can't wrap my head around this sh!t.

Are there any reputable box builder on DIYMA that won't charge and arm and a leg to build a basic ported box?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Changing the dimensions shouldn't make any difference as long as the internal volume stays the same. If you change the volume, the optimum tuning and therefore the port will change. Maybe not enough to matter, though.

Ideally, each woofer should be measured because the actual Thiele-Small parameters rarely match the published ones exactly. And calculated port designs sometimes act differently in the real world, so ideally you would measure the finished box tuning and modify the port if necessary. A good box builder should have a gizmo like the "Woofer Tester" or use software like "Speaker Workshop" to take those measurements for you.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I went ahead and bought a JL Audio XD500/3 amp which puts out 300w @ 2Ω on the sub's channel.

I'm thinking of mating it with a 10w6v2 in a ported box.

I'm new to this so the porting has got me thoroughly confused. I can only go by JL's recommendations (22"x12"x10.75" box w/ 1.25"x10.5"x30" slot port) on the enclosure.

What happens if I wanted to change the dimensions of the enclosure while keeping close (maybe a little bigger) to the manufacturer's recommended volume? Would that change the recommended port size? I'd assume it would.

I think this is all a little over my head. I'd like to try and DIY but I can't wrap my head around this sh!t.

Are there any reputable box builder on DIYMA that won't charge and arm and a leg to build a basic ported box?

I'm not all theat reputable on here but you pay the shipping and you can the box that my old w6 was in.
Its w24xh12xd11 ported at 31.sumthing the port is 10.5x2.5 cant remember the length but it sounds damn good. so good that i kept just in case i wanted to go back to it at sometime in the future but i think i'm gonna be sticking with the 12s from here on so time to pass it along.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get a shipping quote to 33406 and you just might have a deal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts