DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 498 Posts

·
Wave Shepherd
2,408 Posts
Note: See the link in my signature to download the latest version of this tool.

This spreadsheet has been a lot of fun to make! My goal is to take as much guesswork out of the tuning and installation process as possible. With this tool, you can calculate a safe high-pass crossover point for your midbass and midrange speakers, then plug those numbers into the next sheet where you choose what frequency response curve you want your overall system to have, and the tool will generate a set of custom house curve files tailored for each of your speakers. Import those directly into Room EQ Wizard and use the EQ module to find the filters for your DSP.

If you use the next sheet to calculate time delay settings for all of your speakers, and you get them to match the house curves exported from earlier, then your tuning is mostly done! I recommend spending some more time with 31-band pink noise tracks to get the center image perfectly centered, and you can download some ones I made from my dropbox at this link:

-----> 31-band pink noise tracks <-----

A bonus feature I included is an interactive chart to help you choose which size power wire and fuse for your amplifiers. The sheet will take into account the efficiency of your amplifier (effecting how much power it will need to be supplied with) as well as the condition of your car (engine on or off) and you can choose how much of a voltage drop is acceptable to you. Lastly, measure about how long the power wire needs to be and then you will see which size wire and fuse you will need. A ton of research went into this particular sheet, and I'm looking forward to everyone's feedback.

There is an included read-me with instructions for each section with some hints and cautions.

Like I mention in the included read-me, please let me know if this is useful for you and if you would like me to build more features into this spreadsheet.

Here are some screenshots:

·
18,512 Posts
With the crossover curve builder, is that easily adjustable in dB/frequency? I can't open it from work.

If so, this is exactly the thing I've been looking for. I've resorted to building my own in excel but nothing on this level that allows on the fly adjustments. Much appreciated.

Edit: read your description again. Looks like it's not exactly what I thought but it still will do the job. Kudos!

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
I want to test this out ASAP.

I have been thus far using a house curve in REW and using the native Target Settings for a 24 dB slope crossover. But that crossover in REW is butterworth not LR.

I also tried using RePhase to generate target curves for LR24 slopes but that didn't work either.

Lastly, I tried using the ACD spreadsheets but they are incredibly complicated to use so I didn't get very far.

I'll check your spreadsheets out soon and report back.
Thanks for your efforts thus far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Wave Shepherd
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't export the JBL curve, all the others seem to work. Tried on two different computers.
Found the problem, will update with a fix a little bit later tonight.
Thank you for pointing this out!

·
Wave Shepherd
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Beta version 2 has been uploaded.

-Fixed the text file export of the JBL/Andy curve
-Added more flexibility:
-Now you can select different crossover frequencies for your highpass and lowpass
-Now you can select between either a 12dB/octave Butterworth or a 24dB/octave Linkwitz-Riley crossover
-Cleaned up the interface a bunch, hid a lot of the background work

Future plans:
-If you can help me find the equations/formulas, I will add more options for crossover types such as Bessel, Chebychev, etc
-I would like to add a sheet to help you with time delay settings
-I would like to add more pictures and better instructions on how to use these text files within REW

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Yes!!! I've been creating my own curves by manually creating a text file to align with my specific needs. I can't wait to give it a shot!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Great Idea,
However one small problem. What is the worksheet unprotect code so we can enter our own individual crossover frequencies.
Gerry

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts

Just loaded up your spreadsheets. This looks really great! You've done a very good job.

Very simple and intuitive layout. You made this so easy to follow. I have tried using the ACD spreadsheets in the past, and those are so complicated that I could never figure them out. And I always thought I was good with spreadsheets. :confused:

As I mentioned above, you are meeting a need which I have hoped to see met for a long time. REW has crossover settings available but they are only Butterworth 12 or 24 dB slopes. I prefer Linkwitz so I have been trying to find a way to get a downward sloping house curve with LR24 slopes for the crossovers. Your spreadsheet does exactly that. Very cool.

I have not been able to change the Frequency settings because those cells are protected by a password. Can you unprotect those cells for user input? I would like to try this out with my car, but I need to change the Frequency settings first.

·
18,512 Posts
-I would like to add a sheet to help you with time delay settings
-I would like to add more pictures and better instructions on how to use these text files within REW

If you're interested, I can send over the excel file I made that was used to build this site:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html

You can just incorporate that in to your sheet. It would save you a lot of time. I even made one with temperature/humidity considerations.

LMK if you're interested and I'll send it on over.

- Erin

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
If you're interested, I can send over the excel file I made that was used to build this site:

You can just incorporate that in to your sheet. It would save you a lot of time. I even made one with temperature/humidity considerations.

- Erin

Need air pressure, too. Erin you slacker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Wave Shepherd
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oops! I forgot about the locked cells, that is fixed now. Sorry!

---

- Erin
Erin, that would be great, and save a lot of time indeed. Thank you for your offer.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Crossover point changes are working with the new link. Thanks Jazzi!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
:bowdown: Dude your a bloody god send....

1 - 20 of 498 Posts