DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it has me intrigued. no other dual voice coil sub works quite like this one does with its differential drive and I am curious of what people have found in using it.

is it true that it is nearly impossible to overdrive this sub mechanically? from what JBL says, the method in which the coils and dual magnetic gaps are configured, you cant exceed xmax no matter how much power you give it and at lower levels it actually helps to dampen the sub some.

how does it sound from a SQ standpoint? it does seem to have no problem handling power, but if it is a one note wonder, I am not interested.

any thoughts and comments are welcome.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Cliff Notes: It didn't klippel as well as most expected. Most everyone that has heard or owns one loves it.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
it has me intrigued. no other dual voice coil sub works quite like this one does with its differential drive and I am curious of what people have found in using it.

is it true that it is nearly impossible to overdrive this sub mechanically? from what JBL says, the method in which the coils and dual magnetic gaps are configured, you cant exceed xmax no matter how much power you give it and at lower levels it actually helps to dampen the sub some.

how does it sound from a SQ standpoint? it does seem to have no problem handling power, but if it is a one note wonder, I am not interested.

any thoughts and comments are welcome.
yup, you pretty much got it. I have a W10GTi in 1.75 cubes tuned to about 33 Hz, and its just awesome. It really is impossible to mechanically damage it due to magnetic braking. You'll burn out the coils trying. Word of warning though: it's so clean that if you're not used to good SQ, you may dislike it greatly at first. Completely transparent sound reproduction. I have listened to it crossed over as high as 150Hz and it was completely tolerable IMO. No extraneous noise or anything. I liked it so much I bought a second one that I have yet to build an enclosure for.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup, you pretty much got it. I have a W10GTi in 1.75 cubes tuned to about 33 Hz, and its just awesome. It really is impossible to mechanically damage it due to magnetic braking. You'll burn out the coils trying. Word of warning though: it's so clean that if you're not used to good SQ, you may dislike it greatly at first. Completely transparent sound reproduction. I have listened to it crossed over as high as 150Hz and it was completely tolerable IMO. No extraneous noise or anything. I liked it so much I bought a second one that I have yet to build an enclosure for.

thanks, for the feedback. I have always tried to go for SQ in my subs, no matter what brand or type. some are harder to accomplish than others, lol. I dont like a boomy box or 1 note wonder subs. I never really looked at JBL. I guess because in the 90's (last time I was really big into car audio) thier subs were simply ho-hum.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Did you ever end up going with this woofer, if so what are your thoughts? I've been hearing alot about this woofer and I think it'll be my next subwoofer. I have about 850 @ 3 ohm for it. Would be nice if people who have owned it can chime in an with their thoughts along with enclosure specs. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts