180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
and the build that these are in?
1987 BMW E30 cabrio 5 speed
DEX-P99RS (new to me last week, coming from 80prs)
A/D/S/ PX concept- TW
(next week) Thiel Scanspeak 10F/8424G00- MR
JBL 660 GTI (bought early COVID installed preliminarily today-need to fab better spacers)
2x Infinity 860W Reference -8” subs in a:

—4th order BP configuration which uses part of my cabin for the ported section. Aka the infamous Luke vert box-2x 8” subs in sealed box butted up w/ thick CCF against breathable wall into a deadened chamber formed by the OE Sheetmetal structure b’tween trunk/boot and rear seats. That chamber has dual 4” ports ~12” long, firing into the rear seat back. Really, the only way to get solid bass while doing 80 in a convertible. He really builds a solid box!

For power, I have:
JL 500/1
Hafler MSE200tN (Midbass) 100 underrated wpc
Hafler MSE88Tn (MR / TW) 22 underrated wpc- x4
14.9v VR
AC Delco AGM
OFC 4ga
OFC spkr wire
and
Stinger 4000 RCA

My small footprint amp stack:

Lock and loaded!

Cutting trunk, this is where the subs breathe into the ported section.

Trunk cut, you can see one of the holes for the port in the background-that’s the seat back! (Ignore the green markup, that was to illustrate what I still needed to seal up because the woofers could breath up there)

Deadened and “sealed” OE chamber (sealed seams, that is-it’s the ported side of the 4th ord’ BP after all!) Being part of the cabin really helps to not lose the bass as opposed to simply a box in the trunk. One 12” with plenty of power could not be heard while cursing. This definitely fixed that!

Nothing is more important than a solid ground

Back (seat) to the fun stuff:

(You can’t see from this pic or really tell in person, but the rear seat back bottom is space out a bit so the air can have it’s impending velocity)

Back when I was sending 75wpc to the TW ,but a good shot of the stealthily (oh wait the amp stack) sealed box. Room for golf clubs! I don’t golf. How about some beer?

Gotta respect the A/D/S/! (at bottom, those MB are what I had in yesterday. CDT HD6K sounded great but not GTI great!

It’s really coming together nicely. Went for basic equip to higher end recently. Every step of the way is a great learning experience. Kudos to Audiosport UK for being the only dude in the world to make simple E30 pods. These doors are deadened well and the pods are bolted (not screwed) to the inner door metal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: The Dude

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Next week(wife leaves town and I’ll work toward my first 3way (front stage - get your mind out of the gutter)

They’ll go in the OE kicks, which should bring my sound out!

Using adapters like these:

...and the money shot. Honestly looks better in person, and probably if I cleaned my dash a bit!
(Guess what brand trim ring that i?.....hint: not Pioneer)
Anyone have a P99RS remote FS?! LOL

Thanks for watching!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Sorry but you will have far better, like infinitely better... midbass with the jbls in the kick panel! You will now have overlapping phase issues from the mids in the kicks and the jbls in the doors... I wouldn’t think twice about putting the jbls in the kick panels IB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts