DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

i have both these subs as options. Please help me choose in terms of SQ.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I'd lean towards the jbl power or the pioneer. the gti is more of a high sensitive PA style wooofer so you're not going to see if play real low. Whichever option is in better shape is probably the way to go, looks like some old woofers..

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Depends of a music he is listening to and goals for the system. JBL 1200 GTI is a great subwoofer, in tests it was placed in reference group. Its Fs is not among the lowest at its 37 Hz, but for majority of music it is great...except for some low freq. stuff like rap. Also its x-max is only about 8mm. It was derived from PA driver from 2xxx series. I run JBL 1500 for years and it was awesome, I also competed in SQ in that era VERY sucessfully with a few best of sound scores. Clean/fast/hard hitting sub, but it requires pretty big enclosure....easy to power it - needs 400-600W

JBL P1220 is totally different animal from 1200GTI. It uses a few parts from latest GTI version. Much lower Fs and power handlinh of up to 2kW. nice sub tough.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depends of a music he is listening to and goals for the system. JBL 1200 GTI is a great subwoofer, in tests it was placed in reference group. Its Fs is not among the lowest at its 37 Hz, but for majority of music it is great...except for some low freq. stuff like rap. Also its x-max is only about 8mm. It was derived from PA driver from 2xxx series. I run JBL 1500 for years and it was awesome, I also competed in SQ in that era VERY sucessfully with a few best of sound scores. Clean/fast/hard hitting sub, but it requires pretty big enclosure....easy to power it - needs 400-600W

JBL P1220 is totally different animal from 1200GTI. It uses a few parts from latest GTI version. Much lower Fs and power handlinh of up to 2kW. nice sub tough.
And no comments on our beloved pioneer ? 😬

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
pioneer is not my choice of equipment except for Head units/processors - ODR or P9

·
Registered
354 Posts
There are a few reviews on this site (DIYMA) regarding the Pioneer TS-W12PRS... not sure if you have searched for, and seen them, yet.
Those that have used them tend to speak favourably of them.

Here is a link to a review that appeared in CarSound magazine many years ago, that you may not have seen:
Pioneer TS-W12PRS Subwoofer

Hope this helps.

Reactions: The Dude

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Any specific reason ? Any bad experience with their speakers/woofers?
so far I have worked only with ODR mid + Tweeter combo. Really well built drivers, extremely detailed but a bit too "sterile sounding - lifeless" for my taste. Maybe with some other amplification it would be different. Amps were Brax MX4

·
Registered
911 Posts
I have ran the pioneer sub for years and for some dumb reason I sold them and now I'm looking for some more so if you have one I'd run that of you listen to jazz a lot. If rap or rock or electronic music id your thing go with the JBL subs. More power handling and can take the abuse as well as sound really good.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I ran one for a while back In the day. The pioneer sub is fantastic in about a cube sealed with 500 watts. Very musical sub

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
the fact is that JBL 1200 GTI was by all possible tests in magazines of that era positioned in Reference class when they were in production....no Pioneer came close. P12222 is much newer model with nothing in common with his predecessor. very nice sub that sports some parts from GTI series. Newer will dig much deeper, but at expense of transparency

1 - 11 of 11 Posts