DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JBL 500 GTi 5-1/4" (130mm) Automotive Woofer/Midrange - eBay (item 330315184057 end time Mar-22-09 06:37:59 PDT)

Anyone looking for some VERY nice mids at a great price should check these out. I've used these mids in the past (they were stolen and too expensive to replace at the time) and they sound fantastic and don't need much power at all - high sensitivity.

The 500 GTi mids are the old school mids from the '90's. Very high quality build, 2" VC, and NIB.

I've bought a couple of pair from this seller already. They are NIB with documentation, owner's manual, etc.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I wish I didn't bid on 5" mids i don't need since I just bought some GTI 4"....ooooy man.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JBL's GTi line had some really incredible drivers. Those 400/500 GTi mids get VERY loud and sound great. I am surprised they are going so cheap considering they are NIB with all the documentation.

Don't see too many 4" - 5" mids with a 2" edgewound VC!!

·
Registered
717 Posts
I wish I didn't bid on 5" mids i don't need since I just bought some GTI 4"....ooooy man.
If those were the ones on the 'bay, I was watching that auction since they were local to me. Was going to bid but didn't think I needed to spend $70 on speakers to sit in the closet :p

·
Registered
784 Posts
I used to have a set of the 4'' GTI components. They where some of the best sounding speakers I have ever heard.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used to have the 5" GTi component set years ago till they were stolen one night. Used to run them off a old school SS Class A 100. They were my favorite mids ever. I can't wait to compare them head-to-head with the 5.75" Peerless Exclusive's I've grown to love so much.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Do you know if there are any more 4's where those came from?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I remember these....GREAT speakers.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you know if there are any more 4's where those came from?
Every now and then a pair of the GTi 4" or 5" mids will show up on eBay. Most of the time, they aren't in great shape or have a lot of hours on them. It's been 10 years or so since these were made by JBL.

You just don't see many NIB GTi speakers anymore. And they were expensive to make (all custom tooling) and purchase back in the day.

·
Registered
675 Posts
so which one of you punks is going to go to the end against me on this one?
:mean::mean:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so which one of you punks is going to go to the end against me on this one?
:mean::mean:
I've got all I need. I know he has multiple pairs so maybe he'll be selling them for a while. Contact him and see. He seemed to be a good guy to deal with.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been using a pair of the JBL 500GTi mids for a few days now and wanted to give a quick review. I listened to the 500GTi's years ago so I have a good idea of what I was getting. I put them in small sealed enclosures (~2L), located around my feet, aiming up towards my ears. (I don't have any room in my dash so most of the mids I use go in enclosures around my feet.) The 500GTi's are crossed over at 3.15K @ 18dB/oct and 200 @ 18dB/oct. Powered off a stock Linear Power 452IQ.

My initial impression was WOW. I had forgotten how loud these things get off very little power. My 452IQ rated at 22.5 x 2 @ 4 ohms was more than enough for these drivers. The 500GTi/452IQ combination gave me much more output than I would use in most situations. In fact, I opened up the windows going 70mph on the highway and had no trouble hearing everything loud and clear outta the 500GTi's.

Very detailed and smooth with very little to no EQ added. Every note had a crisp sound with the kind of detail that lacks just a bit with the 5.75" Exclusives that I'm used to using. Very clean and open.

I also crossed them drivers higher to 5KHz and they still sound good, albeit a slight peak at 4.3KHz. Low end output was good to 150HZ, maybe 100Hz depending on how loud you like 'em.

CONCLUSION - these JBL 500GTi mids might be replacing my venerable Peerless 5.75" Exclusives for the time being. The sound fantastic with very little power and get very loud.

The only down side with these are the terminals. You pretty much have to use a spade terminal with isolation or risk shorting out on the custom basket (which has a very distinctive look).

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You'll love 'em. Put 'em 0.5L - 1.0L sealed. Very nice.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep. I've grown to like them more than my beloved 5.75" Peerless Exclusives.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts