DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's the actual model of amp? Is that a peak or RMS rating? At what voltage?

If it's peak at 14.4v your RMS will be closer to 50w, which to your ears isn't much louder than 22w.
I’m not trying to be rude. I understand all this stuff. My system is setup all proper. I am just wanting to hear from people that have experience with it. I’m not going to go back and forth over car audio 101 stuff

· Registered
8,624 Posts
I’m not trying to be rude. I understand all this stuff. My system is setup all proper. I am just wanting to hear from people that have experience with it. I’m not going to go back and forth over car audio 101 stuff
That's pretty rude considering I don't see an exact model number listed... quite sure no one else can see that either, yet you quickly went that route. I'll be surprised if you get help with that approach.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

· Registered
2013 Dodge Dart 1.4T
1,552 Posts
Does anybody have any experience with these amps and seem to get no more volume out of these amps than a regular 22wx4 headunit?

JBL/Infinity 100x2 or 100x4 (@ 4 ohms)
Model numbers would be helpful

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Call JBL support.
This isn’t helpful. I only want to hear from people that have experience with these amp designs. And, I’ve already contacted JBL before I bought the amp inquiring what type of rca input circuitry(differential or single ended) it uses, they were 0 help. I ended up just getting it and testing it myself. I have been using it for >2 years though. I’m just trying to get people to confirm my suspicions with this amp

· Registered
1,157 Posts
This isn’t helpful. I only want to hear from people that have experience with these amp designs. And, I’ve already contacted JBL before I bought the amp inquiring what type of rca input circuitry(differential or single ended) it uses, they were 0 help. I ended up just getting it and testing it myself. I have been using it for >2 years though. I’m just trying to get people to confirm my suspicions with this amp
It says it’s volume is controlled by your phone. Have you tried a different phone? Other than that, many of the reviews at vrutchfield complained that it always went into protect, so it’s probably a piece of junk.

· Registered
8,624 Posts
Determining that it's a piece of junk by reading a "few" reviews ("many" is an exaggeration) that don't include full context of hookup or system design is a bit... well you get the point

The question was do the amps put out more power than a normal headunit? Yes... the 4 channel has been tested. As usual, JBL's power is there and distortion factors are quite low. The problem (they're not perfect) is in the input chain and the way the amp is designed. Perhaps not very well thought out or too narrow in application, but most issues stem from BT and the way it inputs the amp. This causes a problem since many consumers buy the amp for the BT add-on. Works for some, but not for all.

That being said, I can see where not enough output or going into protection mode could be a problem for some, but elaboration on this is futile... swap amps, be happy.

As far as figuring out any amp's rca input:

Granted, I doubt this will help with the OP's issue.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It says it’s volume is controlled by your phone. Have you tried a different phone? Other than that, many of the reviews at vrutchfield complained that it always went into protect, so it’s probably a piece of junk.
can you read? Im not wanting to hear from people that just google stuff and then spit out bs, and also false information "It says it’s volume is controlled by your phone." no... Im using this as a normal amplifier with a headunit and DSP upchain.

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The question was do the amps put out more power than a normal headunit? Yes... the 4 channel has been tested. As usual, JBL's power is there and distortion factors are quite low. The problem (they're not perfect) is in the input chain and the way the amp is designed. Perhaps not very well thought out or too narrow in application, but most issues stem from BT and the way it inputs the amp. This causes a problem since many consumers buy the amp for the BT add-on. Works for some, but not for all.
Exactly. Im not using the BT functionality of the amp. Im trying to figure out if the power pretty much disappears if your voltage isnt a solid 14.4(which is what amps are rated at).Or some other weird stuff.

As far as figuring out any amp's rca input:
Yes, I am aware how to find the type. I was wondering what it was before I bought it tho.

Whats so hard about people reading a post, and my many comments saying I only want to hear if you have actual experience? I'm not talking about you, because you were replying to a dumb comment.

· Registered
2,274 Posts
Instead of insulting everyone that responds (with intentions of helping), why don't you just test the damn thing yourself. Get an O-Scope, AMM-1, or measure the AC output after ensuring you've reached the maximum clean output level and you'll be able to tell pretty quick if it's output is noticably more or not.

If all you care about is the perceived output, well that's completely subjective. If you want a definitive answer, spend what it takes on proper testing equipment to measure the SPL output.

Or, just be happy with what you have and leave it at that.

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Instead of insulting everyone that responds (with intentions of helping), why don't you just test the damn thing yourself. Get an O-Scope, AMM-1, or measure the AC output after ensuring you've reached the maximum clean output level and you'll be able to tell pretty quick if it's output is noticably more or not.

If all you care about is the perceived output, well that's completely subjective. If you want a definitive answer, spend what it takes on proper testing equipment to measure the SPL output.

Or, just be happy with what you have and leave it at that.
I have tested it with an oscope/dmm. I can get the correct voltage(which equates to the true power), at least using a 1kHz track

· Registered
2,274 Posts
Not entirely sure how you set the gain, but if you used a -0dB track, then once you play music, output will be much, much less, since music is dynamic and not recorded at -0dB.

You could reset the gain using a -3dB or even -5dB and that should yeild a noticable increase in output.

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not entirely sure how you set the gain, but if you used a -0dB track, then once you play music, output will be much, much less, since music is dynamic and not recorded at -0dB.

You could reset the gain using a -3dB or even -5dB and that should yeild a noticable increase in output.
I’m fully aware of all this. Another comment from somebody that doesn’t have experience with this amp design .. smh

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.