DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
4,235 Posts

It's a 2-channel autotune designed to be inserted in the signal chain between a portable player (iPod) and an auxiliary input jack. There's a microphone in the top, so you plug it in, hold it in front of your face, press and hold "Setup" wait about 5 seconds for the sweeps and it tunes the car.

The target curve is very similar to MS-8's. One setup is complete, you can adjust the level of the bass shelf in three steps (Bass control), the width of the transition band between the bass boost and the midrange (Impact control), the high frequency tilt (Treble) and you can turn time alignment on and off (Image). The defeat button turns off all of the processing.

It's powered by a cigarette lighter adapter (6V) and audio from the portable player turns it on and off.

It doesn't use the same algorithm as MS-8. This one uses an FIR filter that's partitioned. there are 256 points below 1K and 256 points above 1k. That provides a little better than 4Hz resolution in the bass and about 75Hz resolution above 1kHz. It runs at 48k, so time alignment is adjusted in 1/4" (one sample) steps.

In addition, there's an elliptical filter at 40Hz that can be engaged and disengaged. When it's engaged, it eliminates everything below about 40Hz, which is great for cars with small speakers and no subs. Out of the box, the filter is engaged. You press and hold the Bass button to disengage it. It can be engaged or disengaged either before or after setup.

Once setup is complete, the coefficients are written to flash, so it will remember the settings when the power is off. It doesn't remember more than one car, but setup takes about 5 seconds, so moving it from one car to another is simple. The power connector is a standard barrel connector, so finding an AC/DC power supply is easy--Radio Shack. You can use it at home, on your PC speakers or just about anywhere. It's about the same size as a big bar of soap.

$199

·
Registered
347 Posts
Seems a lot of newer cars have usb to dock for the iPod.
Is there a way to make that work?

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seems a lot of newer cars have usb to dock for the iPod.
Is there a way to make that work?
It won't work with USB, but in some of those new cars, like BMW, the USB is for control and the audio signal is analog. BMW sells a Y-adapter looking thingy that has a 32 pin connector on one end and a USB and 3.5mm on the other.

Like MS-8, this thing isn't designed to work in every car and for every application, but in the applications in which it works, it works great.

·
Registered
731 Posts
A little disappointed that this thing doesn't come with binaural mics. Any reason why they weren't included? Still a very cool device and I like the fact that it takes so little time to tune. How sensitive is it to small movements of the microphone, assuming the speakers have a wide power response with minimal beaming? The reason I ask is because I could potentially use this for my car and home, simply retuning each time.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We've done a bunch of work on the algorithm to make binaural mics unnecessary for this. It's about 90% as accurate with a single mic as MS-8 is with the binaural mics and spatial average. Below 5k, the performance is nearly identical.

It makes everything I've ever plugged it into sound broken when I press the defeat button. It's $199.

In fact, I've installed three of these things in my car (How? It's a secret.) and I'll never use an RTA again.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Pretty cool, & tiny. When will this be available? Do you have a link to the manual?

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
They're on the boat now. Ought to be here in a few weeks.

Nice. When can we expect to view the manual?

If a center channel or rear speakers are not being used (3-way front), would you consider much if any advantage to using the MS-8 over the MS-2?

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice. When can we expect to view the manual?

If a center channel or rear speakers are not being used (3-way front), would you consider much if any advantage to using the MS-8 over the MS-2?
I wouldn't call this a substitute for an MS-8 in any system. I would call it a substitute for a speaker upgrade in any car that has speakers for a customer who doesn't have any appetite for an installation and who listens primarily to a portable player.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I wouldn't call this a substitute for an MS-8 in any system. I would call it a substitute for a speaker upgrade in any car that has speakers for a customer who doesn't have any appetite for an installation and who listens primarily to a portable player.

Ok, you threw me off when you mentioned never using an RTA again.

1 - 20 of 187 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.