DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. Now, before everyone rolls their eyes for another MS-8 thread, I'd like to mention that I have done tons and TONS of reading on this thing over the past 6+ months including almost everything Andy from JBL (at the time), and others said about it in the FAQ thread. Creating another thread was the last thing I wanted to do and have ran countless calibrations since March.

So here is my setup. 2015 Honda Accord EX with standard audio system, MS-8, Precision Power P900.5, Image Dynamics XS-28 tweeters in the sails, Image Dynamics CX62 v2 6.5" in the prepped doors, and a SSA GCON ported in the trunk.

My issue: I cannot tame the highs to save my life. The mids are a little high in the 500-1.5k hz range and I get some breakup at higher volumes sometimes in that range. The mids can sometimes be solved by calibrating at higher volumes so it cuts that range a bit. The highs don't seem to work that way though. I have tried various gain settings on the amp. I am pretty close to 2V on the mids (2 oclock) and currenty about 4V on the highs (10 oclock). I am pretty much set on the gains for the mids as I can get around those issues but I can't seem to make the MS-8 happy for the highs. I have tried almost completely lowering the gain on the tweeters during calibration and have gone all the way up to about noon (3V). I have tried various crossovers between 2250 and 3250hz. The lower I cross them, the more ear piercing the highs are. I have tried calibrating from -42 to -32. Seems, a little loud to me in the mids during the lower 30's levels.

I am looking for any last ideas as I am extremely frustrated with this unit after all the great things I have read about it. There have been times where it has sounded fairly good, but the highs always ruin it at high volume.

Thanks for reading.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
When you calibrate do you mostly leave the mids gain where it is and adjust the tweet gain?

You adjust gain and do acoustical measurement again?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you calibrate do you mostly leave the mids gain where it is and adjust the tweet gain?

You adjust gain and do acoustical measurement again?
I haven't touched the mid gain in awhile. I'll usually set the tweeter gains to whatever and try different calibration volumes and angles of my head while turning to driver and pass mirrors before I try a different gain setting.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
What is your crossover currently set at? Is the crossover on amp
set lower than this?

I would try calibrating with the tweet and mid set at same amp gain.
I would then calibrate with tweet gain set slightly higher
and determine if it is better or worse.
Assuming it is better, I would then calibrate with tweet gain increased
a bit more. I would do this until I liked the way it sounded or it began to sound
worse.
If it began to sound worse, I would return to the gain setting
where I thought it had sounded best and recalibrate.
At that point, I would try simply lowering the gain on the tweets.

I have to adjust the gain on my subs sometimes after
calibration. No matter what I do I cannot get the
midbass and sub to play nice together.

Alternatively, once you find the gain setting it sounds best you could use the
31 band EQ to cut everything above the crossover point.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My xover is currently at 3250hz just to try. I usually set it at 2750 though which is where I've had the "best" luck. Amp is set to let everything pass though since ms8 is dealing with that. Hpf is all the way down. I had the gains set the same before and I don't think it was good. Maybe I'll try again. I was running the gains much lower back when I was matching the gains. I have tried matching the db levels with the pink noise in the hidden menu. That didn't seem to help though. I'll report back tomorrow with my findings. Hoping I have some time to play with it.

I agree, the midbass and sub is a pain. Someday I'll get it close enough and not touch it again as I'll be too afraid to mess it up.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
No problem. I should've mentioned this previously (in case you don't know), the ms8 works somewhat paradoxically when calibrating. If you want it to cut the highs then they have to be louder than the mids. However, this seems to be kinda hit or miss too. If you get too much difference between the speakers then the ms8 has to use too much eq and it doesn't sound good either.

I tried level matching with the pink noise menu as well and it didn't work for me either. I have the ms8 in two vehicles and the method I described is how I have been making it work.

I actually can't turn up my gains much at all. In both vehicles, if my gain is above the half-way point then I start to get feedback (a static noise) through my speakers that can be heard when the music is all the way down.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yeah, I kinda figured that's how it works. This thing is awesome in so many ways. I love how it puts the vocals right where the center channel would be if there was one. The stage width is awesome too when I get a decent tune. I'll try raising the tweet gain. Hoping it can cut it out then and everything will fall into place.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Gains way to high. 2v should be around 12 o'clock.

Calibrate it with the gains at minimum. Once it's done move them all up to 12 o'clock.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gains way to high. 2v should be around 12 o'clock.

Calibrate it with the gains at minimum. Once it's done move them all up to 12 o'clock.
Minimum as in all the way down? On my amp, 7 o'clock is 6v , 5 o'clock is 600mv. That wouldn't put 2v around 2 o'clock? I'll give it a go though, I'll try anything. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Level match it with the gains set the same. It will be right.
If its to high heavy just back it off a tick while playing music. You should not have to.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Do yourself a favor and sell that damn thing! It is nothing but a headache with all of the little tips and tricks that may or may not work. I had one to try and make things easier, set it and forget it, ya right! Played with it for 2 weeks and enough was enough. Get a real dsp and learn how to tune from all of the info here.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do yourself a favor and sell that damn thing! It is nothing but a headache with all of the little tips and tricks that may or may not work. I had one to try and make things easier, set it and forget it, ya right! Played with it for 2 weeks and enough was enough. Get a real dsp and learn how to tune from all of the info here.
Trust me, if I could, I would. Unfortunately, I am not in the financial state I was earlier this year when I bought everything so that is not an option. It is a huge pain in the ass, but someday it will sound right...... Hopefully before my lease is up and I have to take it all out to turn the car in lol.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
It will sound right when its ready. I had to recalibrate so many times but I was being very picky. When its right you will know it. You will have a stage most will never have with other DSPs. A true 3D experience.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
DDfusion is right, the MS8 requires some patience while learning the calibration method but will get you into the listening mode quick. Only thing that ruined it for me was the Bug that said "what if you had this speaker or that sub?" Lol

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DDfusion is right, the MS8 requires some patience while learning the calibration method but will get you into the listening mode quick. Only thing that ruined it for me was the Bug that said "what if you had this speaker or that sub?" Lol
Lol. I know. I'm confident I'll get it right eventually. The staging is amazing too. Can't wait to try the new things from this thread to hopefully get it going

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I turned all of the gains to minimum. Calibrated at -20 which I think may have been a little too quiet. It's normal for the tweeters to be noticeably louder since they're more sensitive right? I'll have time to run another calibration this evening. I'll try it at -15

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I tried calibrating at -15. Sounded terrible with all gains at minimum. It's too quiet while sweeping the mids so it boosts the eq in the 500-1.5K HZ ish range and it breaks up pretty bad. So, I increased the gain only on the mids to about 10o'clock (4-5V maybe?) Calibrated at -18 and it's cuts the mids down a bit and it doesn't breakup until a higher volume on songs with strong 500-1K hz notes. I listened to it without raising the gains at all after calibration and it sounds fairly decent. Still need to cut the mids a bit more so the speaker will be safe if it gets 500hz peak at loud volume. Should I keep upping the mid gain a bit at a time and calibrate until the mids are OK while leaving the other gains minimum?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 80 Posts