DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to add some processing to my system and cant decide between the JBL MS8 or the Mini DSP...

I like the JBL's ease of use and that Logic 7 feature seems pretty cool as well to play around with but it doesnt really allow you to adjust the T/A and features and stuff as much as the Mini DSP. Another thing I like about the MS-8 is that I can set it up to sound good from 4 different positions in the car that way everyone can experience the good sound. But the MS8 is also bigger (already cramped for mounting space) and also more pricy.....the Mini DSP just seems like alot of fun to play around with but IDK if I'm up to all the tuning that comes with it, but I also think I may be able to get more out of the Mini DSP...idk!!! Anyone with experience with either???

Cliffs:
JBL easy to use
Mini DSP gives me more control
JBL can be optimized for all passengers
Mini DSP takes up alot less space.
JBL more expensive.
This sandwich is good.
which one should I choose???

·
Registered
243 Posts
by the time you buy enough mini dsps to cover all your speakers.. get a box. rig a power supply etc etc. you may end up paying as much as a used MS-8. Plus one thing I realized. With the Mini DSPs, your time alignment is per channel: no independant time delay for mids, or highs. With the MS8 it does an overall time allignement to optimize ALL frequencies. just a thought

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am in the same Boat. I am leaning towards the MS-8 because I am not "that" experienced. However, I would rather go w/ the Mini DSP in terms of flexability, size, cheaper, and its UNIQUE! COOL!

Although, are we talking about the 2 x4 or 2 x 8 board? There was a review on diyma about a guy hooking up a Mini DSP 2 x 8 in his garage and I recall him saying out "monsterous" it was, and that it was just about the size of his lap top. Now I have never had my hands on an MS-8 but I assume, it can't be much bigger.
i was actually leaning towards the 8x8 one. guess i never looked at the actual dimensions on em, just heard mini and ran with lol

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,381 Posts
This is like comparing apples and oranges. The MiniDSP requires you to actually tune the car and setup everything on your own, the MS8 does it all for you. If you have patience and the ability/need/desire to learn how to tune I would recommend you go w/the Mini, if you don't want too, buy the MS8.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts