DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just purchased this u it a couple weeks ago. I installed the ms8 into a 2011 f150 raptor with sync and nav. I have had nothing but problems here. Turn on pops. Turn off pops. Popping driving down the road. Just strange things happening every other time i start the truck.

I wanted to use the stock speaks running the internal amp, they sounded terrible. I replace all the speakers. Sounds good, just not loud. If i set the jbl gains any higher than -22, it sounds great and rocks, but it pops like crazy. At -22, my stock stereo was louder.

Im running my subs from a small pioneer amp, and found that only the speakers running off the int amp pop, the sub does not. To me this seems like a clear cut defective ms8??

Im considering buying a 5 channel amp to bypass the internal amp. Im just concerned that other things might be wrong with the unit. Has anyone else had these problems.

This unit is very frustrating!!

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Have the exact same problem - in a 2013 Ford Fusion, using SYNC + MyFordTouch stock head unit, and stock speakers - speaker line in from HU to MS-8, and speaker output out from MS-8 to stock speakers ... at -30 or so I have no noise ... tolerable hiss at around -22 - but the volume level is half that of the stock setup.

Stock was 13watts RMS into passive x-over (shared) between tweeter and woofer ... MS-8 I ran independent channels to each rated at 20watts RMS ... one would assume 40watts RMS vs 13 should have increased the volume output ... but alas I cannot get rid of this horrible hiss!

Did you come accross a way to fix it? What did you ultimately end up doing? - Still using the MS-8 or have you moved on (to what) ?

My post: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/technical-advanced-car-audio-discussion/157190-jbl-ms-*-noise-issues-2013-ford-fusion-oem-integration.html

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Dump the MS-8. Get a different processor. I hate the MS-8 (despite me right now installing it in my truck because I want to give it a try and I had one sitting around).

I have had nothing but fights with MS-8s.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Without looking up the schematics for Sync/ford systems, do they have external amps? If so u may need to run signal from it to ms8. When you run setup, after the cd portion what is ms8 volume set at? Do u leave it and use hu volume? You can try 2 things, either recalibrate and leave hu at volume ms8 determined appropriate for setup. Then use ms8 master volume. Or try (after recalibrating) setting ms8 master volume at -06 and leave it. Also, do your issues very with L7 on/off. I have never experienced any turn on/off pops, and i also realized i need to calibrate at much lower volume then recommended for OEM in my GTI.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
The hiss may be caused by MS-8's UN-EQ boosting high frequencies to flatten the original signal. You can check this by plugging something into the Aux input. If there's no hiss there, then this is probably what's happening. IF it is, recalibrate the input (with the setup CD) with the treble control on the radio turned up a little bit.

Regarding clicks and pops. IS there a factory amp in the car? If yes, are you turning it on and off with MS-8's remote output?

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
@tbomb - the Sync setup has an HU which communicates over CAN bus to an ACM (audio control module). The ACM is like a pre-amp + cd player + AMP - in the higher end setup on these cars that ACM feeds into a DSP with active noise cancellation and external amplification, but in my case the DSP option is not installed. As mentioned in my thread I removed the factory speaker wires, running new ones directly from the MS-8 into the doors... the wires I'm feeding the MS-8 from are the high level (amplifier) outputs from the other end of those speaker wires.

The issue persists regardless of the L7 setting, though out of preference I have left it off nonetheless.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Andy - I was really hoping you'd chime in ... your reputation on this forum definitely precedes you :)

I’ll try to re-calibrate tonight as you mentioned with the treble turned up a bit. The factory unit has a bias towards the lower 2/3 of the volume dial towards a heavier bass end, and sort of drops the bass notes on the floor for the last third incrementally as you gain.

The biggest problem I have there is the gain issue with the MS-8 – I’ve been able to tweak crossover points, re-calibrate, tweak, etc and get it to a reasonable amount now, but I have to keep the MS-8 at -22, so the stock volume needs to be in the upper third most region to be at a desirable level, what you’re suggesting seems very plausible as part of the problem then the more I think about it. The procedure goes: configure inputs, crank the volume – get ok / ok / ok, turn down the volume, calibrate/measure positions… I think the turn down there is messing with the EQ going into the MS-8 and as you mentioned might be part if not most of the problem. I’m eager to try your suggestion ever more so but I’m stuck at work for a few hours yet at least.

Regarding clicks and pops – it’s noteworthy that I don’t have any pop / turn on amplifier noise; I’m using the MS-8’s speaker-level (amplified) outputs for now, the only amp I have is on my sub and it it turned on by the MS-8. Sadly, the MS-8’s turn on (remote in) is presently connected to a dongle with a cigarette adapter tied to it because I’ve been as yet unable to source an ACC input on this car (soooo frustrating, but nearly every component in this car is power - on batt always and communicates via CAN bus, even things like window switches, for turn on/off settings). I think I’ve finally come up with a solution to my MS-8 amp remote turn on issue nonetheless – noting that the MS-8 says it can accept 4+ volts for the turn-on, I’m thinking of attempting to use the auxiliary USB connector on the rear of the SYNC HU to pass the 5Volt output out – I don’t suppose you know how much current the MS-8 is going to sink at 5vdc do you? If not, I can always test using a dmm as I doubt it would be more than a few hundred milliamps at best – I just need to assert that it will stay under the 500ma ceiling that the SYNC USB port can provide.

Full disclosure here in that the amp which is presently connected to my sub was just a junk/scrap one I had lying around while I’m still waiting for my intended amplifier (Zapco DC500.1) to show up in the mail. I do get a (faint) pop when that amp shuts off – but otherwise no complaints and I really couldn’t care less about that part. I get the new amp tomorrow actually – so following that the plan will be to first replace the front mids and tweets (not sure what with yet), and then add amplification for the front stage all around (which will presumably make a substantial improvement on my volume/output levels).

Overall I was very disappointed by my first impressions with the MS-8 but the more I tweak/mess the better it’s getting. I’m still totally on the fence over adding a center channel and enabling L7 on it though – thus far not impressed at all with the 4 channels using L7, but my car was designed for a premium (Sony branded) sound setup which does use a center channel, so there’s an ideal location and even a factory grill option if I want to add one… any thoughts on the center option?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts