DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I plan to get a W12GTI for my Sedan with a boot of 430 litres and I plan to power it with my Genesis P1 Mono that does 550W @ 2 ohms.

How much power would the Genesis be giving the W12 @ 3ohms??

Also, what would be the recommendation for the enclosure?

Sealed or Ported?
If sealed, should I increase the dimensions of the enclosure from the recommended size, since I am giving lesser power?

Or should I go ported? What dimensions then? With the power I am talking about?

I dont want HIGH SPL levels. I just want the entire system to sound good as a unit. With the ability to go loud sometimes!

·
Registered
726 Posts
It'll do somewhere in between of what it does @2oh and 4ohm.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
about 350W + {(550-350)*66%}= 482W RMS right?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Don't get caught up in the figures. You very likely won't hear the difference between 50 watts. It's fine. I would get a W12GTI too.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is giving the sub (rated @ 800W) about 480W recommended?
I mean, for daily listening, and that short bout of earth shattering SPL for a few minutes?

Can someone tell me what my enclosure size should be, for this scenario?
Ported/Sealed?

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
If you have an EQ for the sub amp, I would go ported.
By EQ, I mean one the cuts frequencies, not the basic bass boost seen on many sub amps.

Hope that helps,
Kelvin

PS: JBL recommendations seems good to me for a ported box

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eq for the sub amp? I'm using an eclipse 7200. Does that have a provision to quell down frequencies? Or do I need a separate eq to do that? And yea, so do you'll mean, a GTi in a 1 cu ft sealed enclosure will sound good with about 480 watts of power? I don't want it too loud! But yes, all the frequencies below 80 hz must play with authority!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I suppose you were looking for ID subs. A W12Gti would be well worth having Frank. Best person to answer your queries is Andy Wehmeyer, a member here PM him for the details. A W10Gti needs about .75 cu.ft of space in sealed, for W12 a 1.25 cu.ft enclosure would give great low end extension. Since they have higher sensitivity expect them to be loud enough even with 450 RMS.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
If you go sealed then I would go 1.5cuft with the power you have.
Ported? I'd just follow JBL's recommendations...

Kelvin

PS: I have a CD7200 too, even if it does the job, I feel I need more bands

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
All things being equal, you'll get more output out of a ported enclosure. I ran a pair in ~2.1ft^3 net per driver and they sounded fantastic. IIRC it was tuned in the low 30hz range. I ran them from 25-100hz with no issues.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i bought my JBL W12GTi yesterday.

here's a **** load of photos I took last night. The amp is an absolute mammoth, and I love the build quality ;-)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i50/frankmehta
/P1020148DesktopResolution.jpg

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it will be installed in a sealed fibre glass/MDF plexi enclosure @ 1.2 cu ft.

will be getting 1300W of RMS power from the Clarion DPX11551 (yea, upgraded to it ;0)

it cost me about $450 in India with a JBL 3 year warranty. The actual MRP in India is $600.

here's a picture of how a sealed MDF/Plexi (with a window) Enclosure COULD look..

***Credit to Invinsible for the design.

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thanks for the credits Franky :)

That was the design as per the previous amp which was delivering just 500 RMS. Now since you have upgraded your amp with almost more than double the power output, I suggest you go in for 1"MDF board with front baffle of 1.25" or 1.5" in thickness. Also make use of some fiber glass resin by applying on the inside wall of the enclosure with 16-20oz of poly-fill along all the sidewalls from inside. (to absorb/cut those standing waves). And add some bracing on the joints before adding to FG.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts