DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

221 - 240 of 12543 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Andy (or anyone who knows the answer), I have a couple of quick questions for you.

1) Currently, I plan on installing a set of polk's SR6500 in my car in just a few weeks. However, I have read before that the speaker does not make the system good, rather the tuning. So, with such a good processor/automatic tuner, would such great speakers lose their advantage over middle-of-the-range speakers? If they would lose their advantage, how "good" of a speaker would be required for optimal sound quality?

2) With this new processor, I hear a lot of talk about a center channel. Is there any advantage to a center channel besides giving the other passengers an accurate sound stage?

3) What type of speaker should the center channel be, a full range speaker, a tweeter, or a component set?

4) Assuming the answer to question #1 is better speakers are still advantageous, does the same apply to the center channel? In other words, does the center channel need to be an equivalent speaker to the L and R speakers, or can it be treated like rear fill in the sense that just an decent speaker is required?

Thanks so much. I look forward to owning a MS-8 in the near future! :D

·
Registered
871 Posts
1. Average speaker in a great spot will probably do better than a great speaker in a poor spot. After that, poor tuning can cause issues as well (imagine well prepared Filet Mignon.... with ketchup on top... or no seasoning at all). Good ingredients, plus good location plus good preparation.

2 + 3. Depends, the above still applies. Spectrally you probably want to run similar speakers to the ones you already have in the left and right location, if not the same (sometimes compromises are made or changes made because of how the speaker will be located... but if you notice, lots of systems for home theater have 3 fronts or all 5 speakers (in a 5.1 system) the same. That might create a problem in most cars (since people usually go with as big as will fit in the doors/kickpanels/dash for left and right) and finding "extra" space in the dash might be a problem.

Juan

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Andy (or anyone who knows the answer), I have a couple of quick questions for you.

1) Currently, I plan on installing a set of polk's SR6500 in my car in just a few weeks. However, I have read before that the speaker does not make the system good, rather the tuning. So, with such a good processor/automatic tuner, would such great speakers lose their advantage over middle-of-the-range speakers? If they would lose their advantage, how "good" of a speaker would be required for optimal sound quality?

2) With this new processor, I hear a lot of talk about a center channel. Is there any advantage to a center channel besides giving the other passengers an accurate sound stage?

3) What type of speaker should the center channel be, a full range speaker, a tweeter, or a component set?

4) Assuming the answer to question #1 is better speakers are still advantageous, does the same apply to the center channel? In other words, does the center channel need to be an equivalent speaker to the L and R speakers, or can it be treated like rear fill in the sense that just an decent speaker is required?

Thanks so much. I look forward to owning a MS-8 in the near future! :D
I had damn near the same questions. Visit hear and read the thread in its entirety to get your answers:

http://www.audiogroupforum.com/csforum/showthread.php?t=65668&highlight=ms-8

Ge0

Welcome fellow Detroiter!!!

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
1. Average speaker in a great spot will probably do better than a great speaker in a poor spot. After that, poor tuning can cause issues as well (imagine well prepared Filet Mignon.... with ketchup on top... or no seasoning at all). Good ingredients, plus good location plus good preparation.

2 + 3. Depends, the above still applies. Spectrally you probably want to run similar speakers to the ones you already have in the left and right location, if not the same (sometimes compromises are made or changes made because of how the speaker will be located... but if you notice, lots of systems for home theater have 3 fronts or all 5 speakers (in a 5.1 system) the same. That might create a problem in most cars (since people usually go with as big as will fit in the doors/kickpanels/dash for left and right) and finding "extra" space in the dash might be a problem.

Juan
Actually the rear sides and rears only need to play down to 150Hz to create the affect, Andy actually recommends it like this way instead of playing lower even if you are able to.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
People are still waiting for this?:p

I think the $1,000,000 question to ask Andy is...

why is he building a carpc processor?:D

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
People are still waiting for this?:p

I think the $1,000,000 question to ask Andy is...
why is he building a carpc processor?:D
Don't you have a wedding or something to worry about? Stop badgering people with CarPC propeganda :).

Good Luck!!!

Ge0

·
Registered
2,414 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
LOL. Well I'm in wedding planning neck deep at home. At work I can relax and think about other things...:D

I thought that was a good question no? He didn't answer me but I still want to know. ;)

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/car-audio/118693-help-can-t-get-auzentech-work-console-pc-tuning.html

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/1199224-post7.html
Guess Andy is getting sick of waiting too? Either that, or he knows that even though the MS-8 will be a powerful processor, it is fixed function. There still might be more...

Ge0

·
Registered
871 Posts
Keep in mind Andy competes in sound offs (and probably has a budget to play with stuff that is out there). So he might be trying stuff for the next generation or just so he has something in the car to compete. I'm probably pretty sure he owns the Alpine system that self tunes as well as some of the other integration solutions the MS-8 competes with.

Juan

·
Registered
468 Posts
LOL. It's not profiling in my company ;) Besides, they (my company) rib us on this side of border all the time, so we rib them back. It's all fun and games so don't get your flannel in a bunch (I am currently sitting on flannel so I have nothing against it :p).

But hey, you guys get the kick ass Molson Canadian commercials so you win out in the end :D

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Wow...another super long thread about MS-8.
I think most of the questions about the product have been answered here, thanks to someone pasting responses from the now almost dead carsound forum. Thanks for that.
I agree that there haven't been many room correction algorithms that work well, but the one in MS-8 is a good one. There's a huge difference between room EQ in a room and room EQ in a car. Correcting response in a room with real speakers really requires two different kinds of measurements--a near field measurement of each speaker and a correction scheme for that and a second set of spatially averaged measurements for correcting room modes. In a car, we can combine this into one, since the seating positions are fixed and since the speakers are very close to the listeners (compared to a room). There's so little delay between direct sound and reflections (the time and magnitude) are so close that we hear them all as speakers. In rooms, it's important to differentiate between the two.
Can a person do a better job of tuning than MS-8? I can and I'm sure there are a few others who can too, but MS-8 has been designed to make everyone's car sound better--people like my mom who love music but don't know anything about audio--and for installers to implement. I can do a better job than MS-8 but in order to do it I need lots of bands of parametric EQ (currently I have 176 biquads available for eq and crossover), time alignment, phase shifting parametric all pass filters, separate gain control of all speakers, Logic 7, a mic array and multiplexing mic preamp, an RTA with 1/24 octave resolution, an analyzer than can measure impulse responses and phase, and a couple of weeks.
MS-8 includes all these capabilities and does about 90% of the job in about 10 minutes.
Regarding the debate between Car PC and MS-8: A car PC can include many if these tools all kludged together (except Logic 7). A car PC is like a basket full of groceries and MS-8 is like a great meal.
Why am I building a car PC?
1. Because i'm a glutton for punishment
2. Because the aux adapter I use from USA-SPEC screws with the CAN bus in the car and prevents the steering wheel track up and down button from working properly
3. Because I'm tired of having an iPod controller screen stuck to the top of my dash
4. Because Gary Biggs is building a new car with a MAC Mini as a head unit, asked me for help in figuring out how to configure it and he got me hooked.
5. This is the biggest reason: Our DSP engineers are constantly working on new algorithms to do this and that (top secret) and we need a way to evaluate and car-optimize them as VST plug-ins before they become embedded solutions for home audio.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Andy,
If it's been asked before like a thousand times, I apologize now.

Us Honda / Acura owners with the possibly Alpine-sourced head units that feed out to the cute digi-pioneer factory amps are looking for solutions for tapping into the four channels of differential balanced outs from the head unit (TSX and Civic Premium or Nav do this)... Some amps (JL, Rockford, etc) simply accept them with differential balanced inputs, so bypassing the factory amp isn't a problem, but not so sure about which processor will work in between.

How about the MS-8 with line-level diff balanced signals for input?

... and NO I won't ask WHEN... When I see the MS-8 hit the shelves, then I'll know. :)

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
All inputs of MS-8 are balanced-differential--line level and speaker level.
This is excellent excellent news. Also I'm thinking it just might fit where the OEM amp is located in the center console too. Again, I won't ask "when"... I know your engineers are hard at it forever with this thing. I will let the guys over at 8thcivic know though. Mercman's harness makes getting RCA connections out of the stock head unit a snap... straight into the MS-8, then out to sub amp or full assortment of amps.

Good luck and fear not.. There is still a market for the MS-8 waiting patiently.
If only it had a digi-aux input for a USB hard drive running lossless direct to processor (hint hint).... yeeeehaw! :D

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
This is excellent excellent news. Also I'm thinking it just might fit where the OEM amp is located in the center console too. Again, I won't ask "when"... I know your engineers are hard at it forever with this thing. I will let the guys over at 8thcivic know though. Mercman's harness makes getting RCA connections out of the stock head unit a snap... straight into the MS-8, then out to sub amp or full assortment of amps.

Good luck and fear not.. There is still a market for the MS-8 waiting patiently.
If only it had a digi-aux input for a USB hard drive running lossless direct to processor (hint hint).... yeeeehaw! :D
Once we get this thing done, I'll see if I can get some tech support from engineering for "modders". The Aux input is attenuated and sent directly to an A/D. Seems like a no-brainer to bypass that. I'll check once these guys are finished pulling their hair out.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Eh, if the analog input sounds good (depending on the source of course.. some decent quality media player with fair dacs and post-dac stage).. like you've told me before, it's probably splitting hairs between direct digital vs analog in. It will by nice finally to one day see the MS-8 hit the streets. :)

Now I have to do a little research into the new kappa's.. something different going on with those tweets, huh? (they get little love it seems but I kinda liked the old ones I had for the price in my last install). C608GTi MKII vs 60.9CS vs Perfect 6.1 ??? hmm sorry different topic for different thread. EDIT: Posed the question in a more appropriate thread HERE

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well according to audiojunkies article on the MS-8 this could be ready soon.

Can anyone say "group buy"? Considering there are 24 pages worth in this one thread, I'd say the interest level is fairly high.

I wonder if later down the road, I could find a sucker who will trade the MS-8 for my RF 360.2?

221 - 240 of 12543 Posts