DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

241 - 260 of 12504 Posts

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
That one was Dec '07... Since then I think the MS-8 had to go through a bit of "back to formula" work with the code/firmware/software/other. I wouldn't trust any expected release date except straight from Andy at this point... crossing fingers and hoping for '08 at all. :)

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Andy, another gain question :). On the Carsounds thread you mentioned that the max 2 volt rms input sensitivity of the MS-8 would be adequate for mostly any deck even though they claim to be 4 volts.

What if we have an actually 4 volt source (say for instance a USB DAC that is intended to drive headphones). Would I need to worry about damaging something or will the worse that will happen is that I'll clip the inputs if I happen to max the vol and have a loud track playing. I've heard from an amp designer on here that some inputs could possibly be damaged depending on their design.

It would good to have those extra 2 volts for headroom to use on low volume tracks and not have to worry about blowing something on the MS-8 if I slip on the volume with a loud track.

If this is not an option, can a stepped attenuator or simple pre-attenuation circuit like this be used to match the output to the input (installed as close as possible to the MS-8).

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Nothing will be damaged and the clipping may be inaudible anyway--especially if it happens only on transients. If you play Bass MEchanik at 4V, it'll be nasty, but turning down the volume a bit will also work. Another option is to set the max output of the source with its volume control and use MS-8's.

·
Registered
346 Posts
any arrival time guess?, a week, month, next year? i bought a new car and im thinking about using the bose head unit instead of my DRZ but only if i could use the ms8 with it, but i need to know aproximately how long til it comes out

ill even volunteer for beta testing:)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Have you actually looked at the feature list? If it does 3/4 of what it is said to do it'll be on par with any other external DSP available. I fail to see your logic.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I agree, it'll be a good product, but by the time it's out you could have had an H701 for 3 years and be done with tuning. why wait for this holy grail of technology when you could have something now, and upgrade later if it's actually worth it.

I don't care when it's coming out, if it's worth it at the time it releases, and it proves to be reliable and a good value, then I might go for it, but I'm not going to sit around wondering when I can enjoy today.

ever hear of the IDone? it'll be amazing too... if it ever gets released

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
no eta on this thing... I have a feeling that it's going to be a huge dissappointment by the time it's released.
I doubt it. I'm actually highly impressed that Harman is taking this long (including, as I understand it, a complete code rewrite) to do it, instead of releasing an alpha-level product into the wild. I expect that I'll be buying one of these. Not for the daily driver, as it's probably better served by the simpler Alpine Audyssey MultEQ XT processor. But for the DS, it seems perfect.

Think of it another way: if it's taking Harman, which is to audio brain power what the US Department of Defense is to global military spending, this long to get this kind of processor right, there's a reason nobody else is taking on this kind of project.

·
11,394 Posts
Exactly.

And having heard a prototype unit...it will be worth it. I have a feeling that I will also be sporting one of these processors when it is all said and done.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I've cleaned out most of my car procs for this thing. Obviously the sooner the better, but it's definitly worth the wait...(as long as it is eventually released...)

·
Registered
285 Posts
it'll really suck for everyone who's waiting if it gets to the point where harman says "meh, not worth it, lets cut our losses and forget it"

I have no faith in companies who are bringing out a great product with cutting edge technology. too many have bailed, or just delayed the product until nobody cares anymore.

·
11,394 Posts
Considering the orignal purpose of the processor is for factory integration...I doubt it would be canned. We are the niche market for this thing.

·
Registered
210 Posts
:confused:

The release date is stretching further and further forward...:mad:

I think that this should be released soon so that the 'other' manufactures are made to pull their fingers out of where the sun don't shine and offer real alternatives rather than marketing gimmicks!

241 - 260 of 12504 Posts