DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

261 - 280 of 12543 Posts

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
how hard is it for a major electronics company to build a GREAT stand alone processor nowdays?

cant be that hard?

they seem to be able to put swimming dolphins into a dash, why not a GREAT processor?

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
i say we all chip in and build it ourselves, we decide on features etc, then we all chip in oir $$ and get some company smewhere to build it for us.

how many car audio enthusiasts would buy it GLOBALLY?

im guessing 50, 000 units would sell @ $300 each

= $15,000000.

·
Registered
97 Posts
i say we all chip in and build it ourselves, we decide on features etc, then we all chip in oir $$ and get some company smewhere to build it for us.

how many car audio enthusiasts would buy it GLOBALLY?

im guessing 50, 000 units would sell @ $300 each

= $15,000000.
I doubt there would be 50,000 people that would buy a 300 dollar product with no BS marketing and no bling. The people with the technical understanding and audiophile tastes number in the very few. Everyone else wants easy use, simple features and lots of bass.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
I doubt there would be 50,000 people that would buy a 300 dollar product with no BS marketing and no bling. The people with the technical understanding and audiophile tastes number in the very few. Everyone else wants easy use, simple features and lots of bass.
i stand by my guesstimate, theres a lot of car audio fans out here, many of the spl guys are moving towards sq...L we ALL have the same issue.

TUNING.

if it was a great product (zero added noise and worked well), id bet 75% of people who have car audio as a 'hobby'

wold buy it within 18 months

das a lot of peeps.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Who would you get to write the code? And how would you pay for the software part of the processor?
id ask the thoughts and help of all the smart car audio guys, like yourself, and many others, once we agreed on the basics (4 way, ta, parametric etc etc) we could allocate different components of getting the thing designed/built to those that knew those areas best.

prolly involve some legal paperwork OR test trust and friendship?

anyone that wants to be involved to donate as much $$ as they can.

if we can put the design/ideas/concept together for $7000, and contact some 'electronics' build house for a bid on a run of 3000 units?

people involved in the design get paid typical design rates for their work ($75 an hour)?

everyone else gets a % of PROFIT according to how much $$ they invested.

no-one gets a free unit.:cool:

naive maybe, but i believe if 3 or 5 good guys decided to try this, and were backed financially by 140 others, and the product was GREAT,

maybe..just maybe alpine jbl, pioneer and audio control may have a new competitior? i suggest (diymapwnsjou as the company name :))

no reason the first run couldnt be available for christmas, no doubt any bs/greed/ego and the project would fail.

worst case senario? we sell em on e bay @ $130 each for a total loss of $0.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
This thread isn't evidence enough that it ain't that easy to design something that complex?

no reason the first run couldnt be available for christmas
wat

worst case senario? we sell em on e bay @ $130 each for a total loss of $0.
You're not a businessman, are you?

Sorry to be so negative. I just don't comprehend where you are pulling these #'s from. I really like where you're coming from, but I don't think you're being realistic, to say the least.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
This thread isn't evidence enough that it ain't that easy to design something that complex?

wat

You're not a businessman, are you?

Sorry to be so negative. I just don't comprehend where you are pulling these ideas from.
my optomistic ass :p

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
OK. :) It is a sweet idea.

I just doubt that 3 guys in a garage could do it, if Harman can't.

And I think the worst case scenario would be wasting a LOT more money that that, a ton of valuable people's time, and having nothing to show for it whatsoever.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
OK. :) It is a sweet idea.

I just doubt that 3 guys in a garage could do it, if Harman can't.

And I think the worst case scenario would be wasting a LOT more money that that, a ton of valuable people's time, and having nothing to show for it whatsoever.
some of the detail some people go into here about various things, leaves me to believe the knowledge is right here, k.i.s.s. just a quality processor.

if we stay away from anything STUPID AND UNESSESARY ....7.1 anyone?

actually i bet if we gave whiterabbit $5000 and 2 weeks off his regular job he could do most of it on his own :)

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
so if we add a l.o.c and our ears all thing are equal?
Well not exactly....if you can flatten all factory EQ in all types of vehicles that is used to compensate for the OEM system acoustics and driver locations to make a flat signal to start out with. Then have the know how and ears to tune then i guess you can say yes.

I would say its not the absolute best thing in the world, but it does make it convenient for the mass market and those who are not willing to go all out in DSP with multiple highend processors. Also it does 5.1 if that floats your boat. Its not for everyone, but i think it would be useful for the majority compared to what is commercially available now especially how newer cars have their HUs integrated into other factory components :)

·
11,394 Posts
JBL will do 4 way crossovers. Then there is the Logic 7 decoding. Then there are all of the EQ filters. Then there is the frequency dependent phase adjustments. Then there is the built in 8 channels of amplification if you want to use it.

And it does this on it's own from the programming done at Harmon. The guys at Harmon have learned a few things about speakers, speaker performance, and how to make things work in a car.

When you have the bank account that Harmon has, you can do pretty incredible stuff.

·
Registered
346 Posts
so any reliable guess as to the release date???

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
The MS-8 is also less than half the DSP6 package at retail.. Not knocking the zapco piece though... looks like a serious processor. It's like comparing a really good $600 home receiver (1-box solution) to a $1400 pre/pro separate meant for a high end setup. The big difference is probably what comes out of the speaker drivers.

Zapco gear is for that 1% of the 1% market of guys that have a higher point of diminishing returns. The MS-8 will let the average car-owner add big amps and auto-tuning without ripping up the proprietary dash or integrated oem head unit.

I fear H Intl might have missed the boat though.. The H650, 360's and other solutions along with a bump in economy and luxury spending are making it's feasibility for success a throw of the dice.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm thinking that no one will be able to afford to own a car anymore by the time it comes out. ;)

didn't I read some were that gary biggs put one in a newer BMW and said that with just the MS-8 it sounded almost as good if not better than the regal?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
keeping the tech talk to a minimum, what does the jbl unit do that this doesnt

http://www.zapco.com/prod/DC_Ref/DSP_DRC_Frame.htm
Others have mentioned the differences, which are so gigantic and profound as to put the two boxes in entirely different leagues.

But one thing I think is funny is that the Zapco processor is barely different from what Harman offers in many of their pro audio products under the "HiQ" name, such as the Crown XTi-series pro amps. (The Zapcos do have 4 more parametric bands per channel, but I didn't see any shelf filters on their stuff so let's say it has 2 more bands.)

Hey Andy, how about putting that DSP into some of your car amps? :)

I fear H Intl might have missed the boat though.. The H650, 360's and other solutions along with a bump in economy and luxury spending are making it's feasibility for success a throw of the dice.
I'm not sure. The H650 is a very different beast. It only offers 2.1ch of processing, for one thing, and Audyssey takes more of an Apple-style approach (you will do things our way and you will like it!) than Harman traditionally does. The MS8, from what I've read, does a whole lot more stuff, and the one-box approach (maybe 2 boxes with a sub amp) is enormously appealing if the box can be kept to a reasonable size. The 360 lacks the automated processes and is also only 2.1, so it's more of a niche thing even if it ends up being cheaper.

I think they can all find a niche. The 360 is good for people who fancy themselves too advanced for automated processes, and it probably has the best control scheme with the PalmOS bluetooth software that doesn't require the smart user to corrupt her/his Mac with Parallels or another emulator. The H650 is for people with simpler systems. The MS8 is for people who want the most advanced processing possible, either have or are willing to fab speaker locations to make it happen, and are intelligent enough to not obsess

Myself, I could see myself owning both the MS8 and H650, in different cars and for different installs. Unless the price is so compelling as to make it a no-brainer, the MS8 seems over-complicated for the Miata, and the H650's 2-channel Audyssey MultEQ XT implementation just right. (At this point, I think I actually prefer Audyssey's best work to Harman's - Lexicon's - for home room-EQ, though the Lexicon stuff offers so many options that it can be bewildering even to someone who knows what he's doing.) For the DS, the MS8 seems to make an awful lot of sense.

261 - 280 of 12543 Posts