DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

281 - 300 of 12539 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
In simple terms, the MS-8 does it all for you and the DSP6 leaves it for you to do.

·
Registered
101 Posts
flame suit on anyone know whats the lastest update on ETA? Im hurtin for a processor at the moment.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I already have a fully-aftermarket system, but I'm thinking about going active, and have zero tuning skills. I was really attracted to the Imprint H100 stuff because of this, but I want to use a non-Alpine HU for nav and other various features. Is this the thing for me, or is it really just mainly for people who want to keep their OEM interface or want surround sound or whatever? If I'm already fully-aftermarket and will be running a simple 2-way front or 3-way front + sub setup, should I be looking somewhere else? I'm basically looking for something that will take care of all the crossover, EQ, TA, phase stuff for me.

And since I'd need some kind of crossover/EQ hardware anyway, this thing makes sense right, since the HUs I'm looking at only have very basic functionality seeing as how they're primariy nav/media devices, not SQ devices.

What functionality would I be giving up or what caveats would there be to using the HU's volume controls and not the MS8's - this is pretty much a requirement for me. I can hardly even stand using volume controls on a touch screen or with up/down buttons, let alone a remote. I really want a volume knob. Since I'll be using an aftermarket HU anyway, I'm going to assume (maybe a mistake) that it won't do the thing of different EQ at different volume levels. If that's the case, is there any downside at all to using the HU's volume and not the MS8's?

I'm picturing that I run a single set of RCAs from the HU's front-channel pre-out to the MS8. Then (say 2 way front + sub) I run three sets of RCAs from the MS8 to my amps. That's it (aside from power, ground, and turn-on), right?

By the way, I wish the carputer stuff had been in another thread, since I'm really interested in that, too. It's funny, I've been taking apart and putting back together PCs since I was a kid and I've earned a living doing shocking things to servers worth over a million dollars each, but I'm scared shitless to try to get into the doors on my RSX. I seem the polar opposite of many in this thread. I think the chief advantage of a carputer (never having used one or even being remotely up to date on what they're doing) is that's it's a blank slate - install whatever software you want, configure it however you want. The killer feature for me would be to sit down in the car in the morning and via wifi, download new albums into the carputer from the computers in my apartment, instead of forgetting over and over to bring the mp3 player out of the car, into the apartment, sync it, and bring it back to the car, when I want to get some new albums into the car.

Also, from reading npdang's review of the H650 and then reading this, the H650 seems kind of clumsy in that you can vary from pretty bad to pretty good results depending just on where you put the mics, and with very little user control over the process other than that. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it seems like a step back - instead of having all kinds of directed control (EQs, crossovers), now I go to just trying various locations for the microphone until it sounds good? I like the idea of having control over the target curve, but having a processor take care of getting me there.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Hey Andy, is the MS-8 remote control signal compatible with a PAC steering wheel interface? Can it learn the volume up/down signal from the remote?

How about a USB-UIRT (Universal Infrared Receiver/Transmitter), to be able to send the MS-8 volume up/down commands through girder from a frontend like Centrafuse instead of sending the commands to the OS digital volume control.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
MS-8 is a USB device not a host. It's updatable via PC through the USB, but it won't control a device.

The remote is RF, not IR. You could bury the remote in the wheel and splice the buttons. Or...you could just use the factory volume control and save yourself the hassle.

·
Registered
346 Posts
for the love of God Andy WHEN !!!:D
seriously though, even just an approximate eta would help

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
MS-8 is a USB device not a host. It's updatable via PC through the USB, but it won't control a device.

The remote is RF, not IR. You could bury the remote in the wheel and splice the buttons. Or...you could just use the factory volume control and save yourself the hassle.
Thanks Andy.

By the way, the USB-UIRT device is used to transmit and receive learned exterior IR remote functions and then triggering them using PC software functions (basically a learning remote for the PC). The MS-8 USB port would not come into play with this.

I was hoping to have the volume up/down commands from the front end reassigned to instead of sending the commands to the OS to raise and lower volume it would send them to the IR transmitter and make the MS-8 the master volume control.

I guess the only way to do it now is using a fusion brain and hardwire it to the MS-8 remote so it can trigger volume that way. Then have the PAC device send its IR signal through the USB-UIRT to the front end and then have the front end send it to the fusion brain and so on.

Why not just use the OS volume control? Resolution is there but so is zipper noise. :(

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
The good news is that we have now added another code-writer to the project. He's done a bunch of work on Lexicon processors, so we're making some new progress.

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
The good news is that we have now added another code-writer to the project. He's done a bunch of work on Lexicon processors, so we're making some new progress.
I remember a while back hearin that you may have a solution to our optical input desires. Will that still be the case?

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
The preamps feed the A/D converters directly. It should be no trouble to feed a 48k digital signal to the DSP. When we get closer, I'll dig around a bit more.

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
awesome. are you suggesting that a SPDIF is more likely? MMMMM Nakamichi here I come...

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Hi Andy,
It's good news the ms-8 skunk works hasn't disbanded. :) I'm just amazed at all the delays you poor guys have had with the thing. It's hard to sell a rumor huh.

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
We won't be adding any additional connectors. If anything, I'll make some kind of DIY mod instructions available.
ooooDIY mods...even better...

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
I'm expecting an update by the end of next week with some real dates. I'll update as soon as I know.

I'm really sorry about these delays and we really appreciate your patience...OK...off to kick the beehive.

281 - 300 of 12539 Posts