DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

401 - 420 of 12504 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
ya sounds great.

Some of it is manual and some is automatic. The user enters the crossover frequencies and assigns the channels. Then the user helps MS-8 make its measurements by placing the microphones and pressing "Go". MS-8 adjusts the EQ and, consequently, optimizes the crossovers and slopes for proper acoustic performance. Then, if you want to make adjustments, you get a 31-band EQ. The 31-band EQ is a separate set of filters that you can use to draw whatever curve you want.

Unlike most 31-band graphic EQs, the response tracks the settings precisely. What many users expect is that if they boost all the sliders by 12dB, that the response should be flat, but boosted by 12dB across the spectrum. This is almost never the case, because making the filter Qs narrow enough to do that makes the response look like a comb. Making the filters wider provides more gain than one would expect when adjacent bands are boosted. Also, adjacent band boosts and cuts are rarely executed by conventional EQs as one would expect. The math used in MS-8's 31-band EQ adjusts adjacent bands automatically so that the curve you draw is the curve you get. This is a big deal, by the way.

For those of you who have an EQ laying around, plug it into your sound card. Make it a loop-back. Generate some pink noise and look at the response as you make adjustments. You may not like what you see and it's one of the reasons that tuning with a conventional 31-band EQ and using a 31-band RTA rarely results in great sound.

The whole point of MS-8 and the point at which it differs most from every other processor that's come to market so far is that it's intended to provide a bunch of tools you can use easily to be successful in making your car sound great. It's not intended to be the tool corral at Home Depot, where almost anything is available, but it's up to you to learn how to use it. If we just took the on-chip library from the TI DSP we're using and added a GUI, this product would have been finished three years ago, but it would have been just like every other DSP EQ/Crossover. There would have been a bunch of people who can pronounce "equalizer" and who have heard the terms "Butterworth", Linkwitz-Riley" and "All-pass filter" raving about the resolution of the available adjustments, but the success rate in making cars sound great and, consequently, the sales rate for the product would have been just as dismal as every one of its predecessors.

This industry doesn't need more tool boxes, it needs more carpenters and more folks who are willing to step up to provide real solutions. Giving a guy with no arms a garden hoe and a shovel doesn't get the carrots planted.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sounds basically like you guys are really trying to "shoot the moon" with the MS-8. Incorporating tools capable of satisfying both the "average" user and the "experts" is quite a challenge. I consider myself somewhere in between, as most on here probably would, and have to say, and I really am looking forward to the finished device. The current crop of "intelligent" DSPs are too inflexible, and traditional solutions don't work well for me due to a combination of "enthusiast" knowledge level, lack of specialized tools and, most significantly, some moderate hearing loss. I can hear a pin drop at 50 meters, but I can barely understand what people with certain types of voices are saying right next to me. I am really looking to the MS-8 to help alleviate some of the frustration I feel when tuning.

Now, about how big is it going to be, so I know how large of an unused area to leave when I get down to 'glassing my trunk. :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Unlike most 31-band graphic EQs, the response tracks the settings precisely. What many users expect is that if they boost all the sliders by 12dB, that the response should be flat, but boosted by 12dB across the spectrum. This is almost never the case, because making the filter Qs narrow enough to do that makes the response look like a comb. Making the filters wider provides more gain than one would expect when adjacent bands are boosted. Also, adjacent band boosts and cuts are rarely executed by conventional EQs as one would expect. The math used in MS-8's 31-band EQ adjusts adjacent bands automatically so that the curve you draw is the curve you get. This is a big deal, by the way.
Very nice. That is indeed a big deal. Will you be able to define several such curves to use as runtime presets? Do you need to re-auto-EQ when you change the 31-band curve?

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Yup. 10 runtime presets. Once the auto EQ has been run, there's no need to do it again. The correction filters for the car don't change when you add your own spin with the 1/3rd octave EQ.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just started searching around about OEM integration...I just bought a '07 Acura TL Type-S. I've found info about this unit since '07 so I hoped it was out by now...oh well...

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK, I haven't read all 17 pages of write-up, I admit, so this may have been covered already... Can the MS-8 perform different time alignments, based of frequency, on the same channel? This would be useful for people like me that have a set of separates with the mids in the kicks and the tweets in the mirror pod and not bi-amping.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
OK, I haven't read all 17 pages of write-up, I admit, so this may have been covered already... Can the MS-8 perform different time alignments, based of frequency, on the same channel? This would be useful for people like me that have a set of separates with the mids in the kicks and the tweets in the mirror pod and not bi-amping.
nope

·
Registered
2 Posts
That sucks, but I guess since it has some built in amplification, I could just use it to bi-amp the separates. Seems like that it wouldn't be difficult for this magic box to perform it though, that way I can use the crossover that was designed for my speakers. I guess I will wait for the MS-9. Should be out in 2015.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
This has to be invented. I've asked for it for another product and it's currently in the works. It isn't simple. MS-8 won't suck for not having it, just like an apple doesn't suck because it can't fly.

·
Registered
402 Posts
That sucks, but I guess since it has some built in amplification, I could just use it to bi-amp the separates. Seems like that it wouldn't be difficult for this magic box to perform it though, that way I can use the crossover that was designed for my speakers.
An active crossover is better than passive. If you know approximately where your passive's xover point is, you are set. Even if you don't know, you can likely guess well enough.

Use the built-in amp on the MS-8 to run the tweeters, and your existing amp to run the woofer.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
until someone develops a touch screen where you can draw your curve, and have the processor "make it happen", and calibrated mic analysis inside the vehicle at the processor mic's identical position shows that you will, indeed, have that curve, I think there's going to be some room for improvement...

this would be a kickbutt option, I think. Pen stylus, nice 20-20k side scrolling graph, and a bank, and corresponding book of preset curves that have been "celebrity" advertised...
This is, essentially, what MS-8 will give you. Instead of a pen and stylus, you get 31 bands to draw your curve once the correction curve has been applied.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
you have to acknowledge that while the RTA is showing amplitude, there's likely some artifacts very near the same intensity but coming in at a small delay, such that by comparison with the original clock one might be able to determine what's reflection and what's decay....
This is a simple gated measurement compared with a non gated measurement. The gated measurement will give you the anechoic response (no reflections). The non gated measurement will give you the total. difference is reflections. This is how MLSSA and all the other analyzers that do this work. However, low frequency resolution depends on the size of the room. In a car, it wouldn't be possible to accurately differentiate between the two below the midrange. Equalizing above that point will be very effective in one tiny spot. None of this is necessary for good sound and is mostly an exercise in technology for technology's sake. Comb filtering isn't nearly as audible or objectionable as people think and that's what the phase dfferences between diect and reflected sound create.

Occasionally, if the stars are aligned, there can be some huge peaks caused by constructive interference, but without a head-tracker and a convolver, they are damn difficult to remove--moving the speaker is the best fix in those cases.

401 - 420 of 12504 Posts