DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

5001 - 5020 of 12539 Posts

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
I spoke with the JBL senior Tech on the phone, and he said to unplug everything and plug it back in, and try again, and if it doesn't work it needs to be replaced. Guess what? It needs replaced!!! I am pissed.
This is the case with every single thing you buy these days. Unplug it, plug it back in.....did that fix it?

I went to McDonald's to get a small fries. I said they were stale....they said unplug the box and plug it back in....

·
Registered
178 Posts
they offer you a free replacement with basically no questions asked and you are pissed? i suppose you want them to send someone out and install and tune it for free too huh? how about being thankful they have a presence on this board to help you deal with the problems you are having? some people....
I'm just mad b/c I spent all weekend mounting it up and making everything perfect,and when I went to set it up it does not work. The JBL tech said this particular problem is not very common. JBL did not offer me a replacement. They said to exchange it with the place I bought it, which was an ebay store, which I am not sure if I can get an exchange. I guess we will wait and see.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Tried the cals with everything at min - no improvement, tried the cals without the subs - very marginal improvement in mid bass but tweets too loud at volume.... I don't know - my ears/brain was gettin sonic overload at that point..... just guessing but I think it's a volume/HU output issue? Seems like I can get it to sound great at lower volume levels - but much lower than I prefer to listen at..... then when I push the volume up to where Ilike it..... harsh tweets and booming subs - I have to set the MS-8 volume control to -4db and my head unit up to 70-73 (out of 80 max) to get the volume up where I like it..... could the Eclipse be overdriving the MS-8 at that point? (5v out -...... Iknow....) if so, what do I need to get the great mix at higher volume levels? JPrice - is there a volume correlation to your issues? Are you using an aftermkt HU?

sir, try connecting a mp3 player (Ipod/Iphone/etc) through a 3.5mm to RCA auxiliary Y Cable ( like Walmart.com: Belkin 12' Y Audio Cable: Computers )to ms8's AUX input to see if your eclipse head unit really is clipping the MS8's input. and oh, do change the source to Aux in the input selection menu under the main screen. do let us know about your findings..

and also, after calibration, to what level do you set your MS8's volume setting? just a reminder, -6db is the maximum unclipped volume of the Ms8..

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I'm just mad b/c I spent all weekend mounting it up and making everything perfect,and when I went to set it up it does not work. The JBL tech said this particular problem is not very common. JBL did not offer me a replacement. They said to exchange it with the place I bought it, which was an ebay store, which I am not sure if I can get an exchange. I guess we will wait and see.
tech support on an unauthorized purchase? ya i would be mad too. lesson learned about buying high end electrical equipment on ebay. good luck.

·
Registered
178 Posts
No need for me to be mad anymore...The company I got it from is a JBL dealer and they are going to exchange it and cover the shipping charges...I am in a good mood now...just gotta go uninstall the unit from my car and send it off tomorrow. This will give me a chance to get some other little install items I need as well.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Tried the cals with everything at min - no improvement, tried the cals without the subs - very marginal improvement in mid bass but tweets too loud at volume.... I don't know - my ears/brain was gettin sonic overload at that point..... just guessing but I think it's a volume/HU output issue? Seems like I can get it to sound great at lower volume levels - but much lower than I prefer to listen at..... then when I push the volume up to where Ilike it..... harsh tweets and booming subs - I have to set the MS-8 volume control to -4db and my head unit up to 70-73 (out of 80 max) to get the volume up where I like it..... could the Eclipse be overdriving the MS-8 at that point? (5v out -...... Iknow....) if so, what do I need to get the great mix at higher volume levels? JPrice - is there a volume correlation to your issues? Are you using an aftermkt HU?
No, my issues with no midbass and overpowering sub are there at all volume levels.

I have been setting the volume at -6db on the MS8 after calibration and using my Alpine HU to control volume (I did try setting my volume to 25 out of 35 on the HU, the spot the MS8 got the best signal, and adjusting volume with the MS8).

As my car is right hand drive I tried the drivers calibrations from the passenger seat too, but that didn't help either.

·
Registered
40 Posts
sir, try connecting a mp3 player (Ipod/Iphone/etc) through a 3.5mm to RCA auxiliary Y Cable ( like Walmart.com: Belkin 12' Y Audio Cable: Computers )to ms8's AUX input to see if your eclipse head unit really is clipping the MS8's input. and oh, do change the source to Aux in the input selection menu under the main screen. do let us know about your findings..

and also, after calibration, to what level do you set your MS8's volume setting? just a reminder, -6db is the maximum unclipped volume of the Ms8..
Hooked up the daughters IPOD - same issues, the more I listen at various volume levels the more it seems the same - it just is way more pronounced at higher volumes - I'm not sure if it is too much subs and tweets or just a huge lack of mid bass..... I think if there were more mids and mid bass I would not be turning it up as loud..... or when I did it would be more balanced and sound like I am expecting it to. Initially I was turning the ms8 volume up to -4 but I have been keeping it at -6 and below today - no help.....

·
11,394 Posts
Do you guys with the lack of midbass have the polarities correct? They should all be connected pos-pos and neg-neg, nothing should be flipped.

I have never had a problem with a lack of midbass.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Do you guys with the lack of midbass have the polarities correct? They should all be connected pos-pos and neg-neg, nothing should be flipped.

I have never had a problem with a lack of midbass.
Yeah, that was one of the first things I checked as I had seen posts about the midbass canceling out. Also if it were a phase issue wouldn't there be a midbass problem with processing off as well as on? My system sounds pretty good without processing on...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hooked up the daughters IPOD - same issues, the more I listen at various volume levels the more it seems the same - it just is way more pronounced at higher volumes - I'm not sure if it is too much subs and tweets or just a huge lack of mid bass..... I think if there were more mids and mid bass I would not be turning it up as loud..... or when I did it would be more balanced and sound like I am expecting it to. Initially I was turning the ms8 volume up to -4 but I have been keeping it at -6 and below today - no help.....
I'm having the exact same issues. I have been following the thread and trying all of the suggestions (no sub, gains to zero, gains at 2v, resetting the unit, double checking the polarity, etc) and have had no luck. I even had it professionally installed and the installer spent an hour on the phone with Andy, and he still could not figure it out. LOTS of sub and highs, no mids or midbass. Sounds awful to the point I can't listen to it without getting a headache. :(

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm having the exact same issues. I have been following the thread and trying all of the suggestions (no sub, gains to zero, gains at 2v, resetting the unit, double checking the polarity, etc) and have had no luck. I even had it professionally installed and the installer spent an hour on the phone with Andy, and he still could not figure it out. LOTS of sub and highs, no mids or midbass. Sounds awful to the point I can't listen to it without getting a headache. :(
Heheh, I know that headache well...

Very frustrating, I've spent close to $5k on this system so far, and there is really no 'wow' factor at all.

Starting to think I should have bought a Bit One - at least then when it sounded terrible it would have been because I have no idea what I'm doing (J/K - the plug and play of the MS8 is what made me buy it, and the one time it did work it sounded INCREDIBLE... Just wish I could get that happening again).

·
Registered
236 Posts
I Suggest your gain will make distortion to MS-8 input and your Tweeter above Max db level. I don't know your Tweeter T/S Parameter but i think it over dB Max power that it can handle and makes big distorsion.

For some references please read this collections first : http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-sq-forum-technical-advanced/98699-jbl-ms-8-faq-2.html
Start #33 to #40.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I could be wrong but I think you sit on the left side of the car and do that side as the "driver" (ie first calibration). Then sit on the right side, your "driver's side" and do that as the passenger. Bizzaro style! :D
Thanks T3 .. i don't know what is "Bizzaro style" and sometimes other American style .. :) .. But i'll try that style too.

That's why the manual and the display call it "Driver's Seat" and not "Right front Seat". This way, it's supposed to be completely seamless no matter where in the car you sit to drive. :)
:D Thanks Andy.

I did Accoustic Measurement last night ..
and .. The Result is NOT good ! ...

it's GREAAATTTT. ;) as it should be.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
Yeah, that was one of the first things I checked as I had seen posts about the midbass canceling out. Also if it were a phase issue wouldn't there be a midbass problem with processing off as well as on? My system sounds pretty good without processing on...
From your post, you really should check your polarity.
My system sounds pretty good without processing on...
^ To me, it sounds like you have 1 mid out of phase - making for a centered soundstage with the MS-8 off but out of whack with the MS-8 processing on.

Been said many many many times: + to +, - to - when you use the MS-8 (if you have door mounted drivers, it "shouldn't" sound good due to the PLD and lack of T/A)

Kelvin

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yes it doesnt matter, i drive a right hand drive vehicle too.
Just follow on screen prompts and look to the drivers side mirror when it asks to and the passenger's side mirror when it prompts. It takes a spatial average.
Thanks all ..

Now i feel like Andy Wehmeyer :) + AdamS :) + Gary Biggs :) + Tendean17 :p works together to tune and setup in my car. :D

I Prepared my system very well as i can do ..
Learn and read more and more to all my Senior says ..
Try to implement all JBL MS-8 Recommendation and Suggestion ..
Listen to thehatedguy says about Larger Center will be better ..
Listen to AdamS says about Max Volume and Level Recommendation ..
Listen to Andy Wehmeyer says all about JBL MS-8.

I'm very happy now. :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
From your post, you really should check your polarity.

^ To me, it sounds like you have 1 mid out of phase - making for a centered soundstage with the MS-8 off but out of whack with the MS-8 processing on.

PpBeen said many many many times: + to +, - to - when you use the MS-8 (if you have door mounted drivers, it "shouldn't" sound good due to the PLD and lack of T/A)

Kelvin
Hmmmmm, well both midbass drivers are + to + and - to - from amps to speakers, but I'll try swapping them around to all the other possible combinations after work today and see if it helps anything.

Oh and thanks for the suggestion tendean, I read that thread, very informative :) still don't think the issue is tweeter distortion or clipping though, I have zero audible distortion in my tweeters even at much higher volumes than the sweeps, and the T/A, and staging on the tweeters is better than the other speakers.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ok, just did some testing with surprising results.

Gains on both sub and front amps set to 2v. MS8 sweeps at -40db. Testing drivers side only to begin with. I made polarity adjustments on 6.5" drivers only. I recalibrated after each polarity change.

1st test, left side + to +, right side + to +, (original setup with the problematic sound). Tweeters sound clear and have good staging, no midbass at all, sub totally overpowering.

2nd test, left side + to -, right side + to +. Left channel midbass slightly better, way to much sub.

3rd test, Left side + to +, right side + to -. Left channel more dominant sounding, tweeters volume down, sub too loud.

4th test, left + to -, right + to -. Sounded weird, but hard to put my finger on why. Sub was way too loud still. I decided I wanted to hear this setup with calibration from passenger and drivers seat, and front weighted. Recalibrated from both front seats. Listened to music with processing off, then drivers side, then front weighted. It actually sounded better than with processing off! Sub was still way too loud though. I turned the sub gains down to min and reran calibration - best it has sounded yet (other than the one time it sounded perfect). I have a front stage, imaging is decent, and the frequency response is actually more weighted towards the lower end, which I tend to EQ for anyway...

Is it perfect? No.
Flat response? No.
Everything I had hoped for from my MS8? No way ;)
Better than no processing? Yes!
Enough that I don't feel like I wasted my money? Yes.

So big thanks everyone for such great help, not a fairytale outcome, but it'll do :)

Asat - I hope this help you out too mate...

·
Registered
236 Posts
JPrice ..
I'm not expert of JBL MS-8 but maybe i have some collections from the Experts.

Reading your Midbass Problem .. i try to think why you and others say "No Midbass" is "maybe" cause of you compare your Midbass response level with your previous system without JBL MS-8 that you can choose overlapping and boosting for free. I think MS-8 using some different shelfing filter to make integration between Sub and Midbass more smooth and no overlapping at all .. How you identify "No Midbass" from ? Turn off your Subwoofer and Just leave the Midbass ? Are you use Midrange .. ? if yes what is your x'over point between Midbass and Midrange .. A Narrow Range can cause a problem too as far as i know.

Below is Andy's Post .. and he doesn't like other then + to + and - to - for Midbass and Up. I Think Option No. 3 you should try too.

For those of you who are having trouble integrating the bass with the midbass, here are some tips:

1. The Subwoofer level control in MS-8 isn't a gain control for the sub output. It's basically a target curve adjuster and boosts or cuts bass with a filter that mimics the low-frequency end of the target curve. The target curve includes 9dB of boost below 60Hz with a smooth transition to 160 Hz. The subwoofer level control is a shelf that boosts or cuts below 60 and never above 160 (the slope of the filter changes with the amount of boost or cut. Use it to adjust the level of the bass before going after it with the 31-band EQ.

2. If you're using a factory head unit and your factory system has a subwoofer, disconnect the subwoofer output of the factory amp from MS-8's input and re-run input setup. This will work great if your factory midrange speakers are 6", but not in BMWs with 4" midrange drivers. MS-8 includes enough boost to put the bass back in so long as the factory crossover is near about 80Hz. The reason that this is important is that in many cars with factory subwoofers, the front speakers and the sub crossover aren't well aligned and the electrical combination of the two create a huge dip in the response that MS-8 tries to fix with boost. MS-8 can't determine if the dip is caused by a big "underlap" or because the two signals are out of phase at the crossover (because of alignment of the crossover frequencies and slopes).

3. Reverse the polarity of the subwoofer and re-run acoustic calibration.

4. If any of the first three don't do the job and you're using a little sealed box and your sub amplifier also has a crossover, set the amp's crossover to about 60 or 70Hz. This will change the overall response of the sub by reducing the boomy midbass it makes (which is picked up by MS-8's mic and used to set the sub bass level). Then, run acoustic calibration again.

And, if you're having trouble getting a center image, the sweeps are too loud or one midrange/midbass is wired in reverse polarity. Verify the polarity by plugging a source directly into the amp that drives those speakers and playing a mono signal or use a 1.5V battery and check to see that the speaker moves forward when the battery + is applied to the speaker +. Simply checking the wires may not be sufficient, especially if you're bridging a 4-channel amp to drive the two speakers. If you used the B.S. "put one midbass out of phase to fix the image" trick for two-channel systems, you have to eliminate this for MS-8-based systems. It's a B.S. fix, anyway.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
No, my issues with no midbass and overpowering sub are there at all volume levels.

I have been setting the volume at -6db on the MS8 after calibration and using my Alpine HU to control volume (I did try setting my volume to 25 out of 35 on the HU, the spot the MS8 got the best signal, and adjusting volume with the MS8).
Not that it's going to make a huge difference but with an aftermarket HU you should skip the input setup.

·
Registered
141 Posts
JPrice ..
I'm not expert of JBL MS-8 but maybe i have some collections from the Experts.

Reading your Midbass Problem .. i try to think why you and others say "No Midbass" is "maybe" cause of you compare your Midbass response level with your previous system without JBL MS-8 that you can choose overlapping and boosting for free. I think MS-8 using some different shelfing filter to make integration between Sub and Midbass more smooth and no overlapping at all .. How you identify "No Midbass" from ? Turn off your Subwoofer and Just leave the Midbass ? Are you use Midrange .. ? if yes what is your x'over point between Midbass and Midrange .. A Narrow Range can cause a problem too as far as i know.

Below is Andy's Post .. and he doesn't like other then + to + and - to - for Midbass and Up. I Think Option No. 3 you should try too.
I was comparing my midbass to running the HU into the amps, all EQ turned off. There was no boosting happening. With the MS8 in, when I said it had no midbass, I mean those frequencies were close to nonexistant.

Anyway for me it does appear to mostly be a phase/polarity issue. My sub is still overpowering, but I'm going to rewire it to run at 800w 4ohm instead of 2000w 1ohm - I have a feeling that will fix it ;)

5001 - 5020 of 12539 Posts