DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

621 - 640 of 12539 Posts

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
I still think I should get a prototype for field testing. If it's tspence-proof then it's ready for market. :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
I still think I should get a prototype for field testing. If it's tspence-proof then it's ready for market. :D
That's what the guys in my lab say to me. We have $25 million in MRI equipment . They say let the boss run it. It it doesn't break, then it must be sturdy and idiot proof. I'm game.

Seriously though, I've got (well my lab technically) a $14k Agilent audio spectrum analyzer. I'd be a good candidate for a beta test unit now wouldn't I ? Plus an HX-650 to compare against.

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
That's what the guys in my lab say to me. We have $25 million in MRI equipment . They say let the boss run it. It it doesn't break, then it must be sturdy and idiot proof. I'm game.

Seriously though, I've got (well my lab technically) a $14k Agilent audio spectrum analyzer. I'd be a good candidate for a beta test unit now wouldn't I ? Plus an HX-650 to compare against.
Hey, no fair. Let the average joe have some kind of fighting chance to obtain a test gadget. :p

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
i just got a chubby

i smell it coming very soon
You could go so many places with that post. But I think I'll just leave it alone for now. Ewwww. LOL!

Hey, no fair. Let the average joe have some kind of fighting chance to obtain a test gadget. :p
Oddly enough, I'm in agreement with Spence. Seeing as how JBL has all of the high end test gear and I have no doubt that they put it to use during the testing phase, it would be nice to see what an "average joe" could achieve with the MS-8. Especially one that is a bit on the inexperienced side tuning wise. Just my .02, not that's it's even worth that. :)

Glad to hear that things are moving along though Andy. I've always wondered if the MS-8 would hit the market before the DSP8. First one to market that is actually "bug free" will be in my car for sure.

Zach

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Me too. Unless the "special deal" means some kind of cool low price or free gear. :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
$800. But I have a special deal for you Spence.
bring your knee pads, some lube, handcuffs and some nice strong rope, then find 2 midgets and a donkey and bring them to andy's house... oh, and don't forget your $800

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
So...I'm back in LA for a week of meetings and spent some time in the MS-8 lab today. Next week, we should have the first fully-integrated software build and we'll start the rest of the debugging. The various modules have been debugged separately.

It sounds great and it works great too.

Here are a few cool features that might go unnoticed:

1. The subwoofer level control is a shelf filter that's applied to all the channels through the crossover instead of the usual gain control that most everyone else uses as a sub level control. The benefit is that once you get the bass sounding like it comes from the front (oh yeah, that's automatic) you can adjust the subwoofer level all you want and it never sounds boomy and never gives away its location. We were listening in the lab and we moved the subwoofer all over the place, ran the auto EQ each time and no matter the location, it always disappeared into the sound of the rest of the speakers. No amount of sub level adjustment with the shelf filter made the location any more obvious.

2. The 31-band EQ precisely tracks the curve you draw with the "sliders". With most graphic EQs, adjusting two adjacent bands in the same direction (say +6dB) will give you quite a bit more boost at a frequency in between the two sliders. If the filter Qs are narrow, you'll get two peaks at the proper amplitude, but with a hole in the middle. The EQ in MS-8 adjusts all the adjacent bands automatically to precisely match the curve you draw. This is a big deal and no other car audio EQ that I know of includes this "math". If you want to see what happens with a regular EQ, hook one up to your analyzer. If you use a PC and sound card, just connect it in a loop, play some pink noise and adjust a bunch of the sliders--you'll be shocked. If you find one that does what MS-8s EQ does, I'll be shocked.

3. The UN-EQ not only flattens the response, but it also removes any channel delay present in the OE system.

I've explained these features in previous posts, but they've basically been little additions to my wish list and today I saw them all working--and working perfectly. Ahhh...like Christmas for a little kid.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Great to hear those features... another suggestion, since you're doing software...

Make the tuning software work on an iPhone... and do two more builds to get it on a Mac and on a Windows machine.

You read it here first. No commission required... ;)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Andy... CONGRATULATIONS !! Man.
"A kid at Christmas" ???
More like a father in the delivery room.
You should be passing out cigars. Haha. :)
Thanks for the update.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Great to hear those features... another suggestion, since you're doing software...

Make the tuning software work on an iPhone... and do two more builds to get it on a Mac and on a Windows machine.

You read it here first. No commission required... ;)
I can see having the ability to use the iPhone as a remote, but I don't see the need for the PC. The menu is simple to use and would just be replicated on the PC, possibly with a colorful GUI. Why is a PC tool an attractive option?

621 - 640 of 12539 Posts