DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

721 - 740 of 12539 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Answers to some likely questions...

2. Maximum input voltage on the RCAs is 2V and 15V on the speaker level inputs. The signal is converted directly into digital after the preamp buffer, so a high signal level is far less important in this device than in conventional ones. The input is fully differential, so there won't be noise. I suggest speaker level connections because they are COMPLETELY isolated from ground...
You noted in your original post on CS&P Forum that the max INPUT voltage is 2V for RCA and 15V for Speaker Level.

Andy -

Can I have further clarification from you please. If I have a aftermarket H/U (i.e. an Eclipse AVN DVD unit) that puts out 5V on the RCAs, then am I correct to assume that it would not be compatible with the MS-8? The solution to this problem would be for me to connect the speaker level outs on the Eclipse to the MS-8?

and...

Line drivers shouldn't be used--the idea is to make this easy.
But a line driver is ok to use after the MS-8, correct?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
You noted in your original post on CS&P Forum that the max INPUT voltage is 2V for RCA and 15V for Speaker Level.

Andy -

Can I have further clarification from you please. If I have a aftermarket H/U (i.e. an Eclipse AVN DVD unit) that puts out 5V on the RCAs, then am I correct to assume that it would not be compatible with the MS-8? The solution to this problem would be for me to connect the speaker level outs on the Eclipse to the MS-8?

and...

Thanks.
This addressed somewhere in this thread from one of my post. search thread for usb dac i think.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You guys do realize this thread was opened 01-19-2007?
Before that it was discussed in the CS&P Forum for 2 or 3 years.

·
Registered
320 Posts
...15V for Speaker Level.
Why OEM integration processors (bit one, 3SIXTY.2, Cleansweep and now the MS-8) insist in having high level inputs up to 20V like we are still in 1990?

Audiocontrol processors -with perhaps 50% the capabilities of any of those OEM processors, and perhaps 5% of what the MS-8 is supposed to be able to do- accept up to 40V which make it virtually compatible with 100% of the OEM systems out there with up to 400W per channel. :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Why OEM integration processors (bit one, 3SIXTY.2, Cleansweep and now the MS-8) insist in having high level inputs up to 20V like we are still in 1990?

Audiocontrol processors -with perhaps 50% the capabilities of any of those OEM processors, and perhaps 5% of what the MS-8 is supposed to be able to do- accept up to 40V which make it virtually compatible with 100% of the OEM systems out there with up to 400W per channel. :confused:
If you have an OEM system that outputs 40 volts, I'll be happy to build you a resistor network that will make this work perfectly.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts

Andy -

and...

Thanks.
I don't think "incompatible" is the right word. It'll work fine, but you'll not want to use the last 10% or so of the voluem control, for recordings that have lots of sustained peaks at 0dB. Do you often listen with the volume all the way up? That's the only time your radio comes close to 5V. 3.5V would be only a 3dB difference in output level or 3dB of clipping if you look at it in the other direction--no big deal. Just turn the control down a little bit. 6dB would be about 2.5V

If the MS-8 goes in the trunk and the amps will too, a line driver is a waste of money.

We've adjusted those max input leves a bit in the last couple of weeks. I'll consult the engineers. In any case, MS-8 is a good excuse not to get hung up on the details that simply don't matter--like all of this boosting of preamp signal levels and worrying about the difference of a volt or two.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't think "incompatible" is the right word. It'll work fine, but you'll not want to use the last 10% or so of the voluem control, for recordings that have lots of sustained peaks at 0dB. Do you often listen with the volume all the way up? That's the only time your radio comes close to 5V. 3.5V would be only a 3dB difference in output level or 3dB of clipping if you look at it in the other direction--no big deal. Just turn the control down a little bit. 6dB would be about 2.5V

If the MS-8 goes in the trunk and the amps will too, a line driver is a waste of money.

We've adjusted those max input leves a bit in the last couple of weeks. I'll consult the engineers. In any case, MS-8 is a good excuse not to get hung up on the details that simply don't matter--like all of this boosting of preamp signal levels and worrying about the difference of a volt or two.

Thanks for addressing my inquiries at such a late hour. Good point on the peak voltage. I use the typical method of turning my volume 3/4 up, play 50Hz and 1KHz test tone and adjust my amp gains accordingly. If I'm reading you correctly, I'll just have to raise the volume up to Max and adjust from there.

Regarding my question about the line driver, it does wonders for my amp. I'm not sure what the MS-8's output voltage is but it wouldn't hurt for me to add the line driver after the MS-8, correct? The reason I'm asking is that the driver is keeping my amp gains really low.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Is your amp noisy when its gains are up high? That's the only case I'd justify the addition of a line driver, otherwise it's just another component in the chain, usually deteriorating the sound quality. Then again, the best solution would be to find a better - not noisy - amp, but I guess that usually costs more. :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
If you have an OEM system that outputs 40 volts, I'll be happy to build you a resistor network that will make this work perfectly.
My OEM system peaks at some 34-37V in a pair of channels at max volume; at a "normal" volume" at 22-23V. This "normal" volume is enough to saturate the bit one into not working properly, a device that supposedly accepts 20V peak in their high level inputs.

But that's not the issue, the issue is that a high level input rating of 15V peak is nothing in 2009, unless you don't want to sell this MS-8 to plenty of Audi/Mercedes/BMW owners with OEM Premium systems. Again, I don't see Audiocontrol having an issue with providing 40V max inputs in all their high level inputs devices, they just provide it. And I think that they have been doing this for the last 6-7 years.

So why nobody else can do the same if their processors are supposed to be more "advanced"?

Like I said personally to the bit one and the 3SIXTY.2 engineers, selling an $600-$800 MSRP processor that requires a $150 Audiocontrol device to install it in my car is not OEM integration, it is a patch. Much less a "resistor network"... :confused:

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
My OEM system peaks at some 34-37V in a pair of channels at max volume; at a "normal" volume" at 22-23V. This "normal" volume is enough to saturate the bit one into not working properly, a device that supposedly accepts 20V peak in their high level inputs.

But that's not the issue, the issue is that a high level input rating of 15V peak is nothing in 2009, unless you don't want to sell this MS-8 to plenty of Audi/Mercedes/BMW owners with OEM Premium systems. Again, I don't see Audiocontrol having an issue with providing 40V max inputs in all their high level inputs devices, they just provide it. And I think that they have been doing this for the last 6-7 years.

So why nobody else can do the same if their processors are supposed to be more "advanced"?

Like I said personally to the bit one and the 3SIXTY.2 engineers, selling an $600-$800 MSRP processor that requires a $150 Audiocontrol device to install it in my car is not OEM integration, it is a patch. Much less a "resistor network"... :confused:
Wait a minute. 22-24 volts when using a 2-ohm or 4-ohm speaker is equal to like 150-watts. Are you saying these premium systems are running large amplifiers? If so, then I would imagine you would want to stick with the OEM system of a BMW, Mercedes, etc because they are likely already calibrated to sound damn good and have more than enough power to satisfy any listener.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Wait a minute. 22-24 volts when using a 2-ohm or 4-ohm speaker is equal to like 150-watts. Are you saying these premium systems are running large amplifiers? If so, then I would imagine you would want to stick with the OEM system of a BMW, Mercedes, etc because they are likely already calibrated to sound damn good and have more than enough power to satisfy any listener.
My OEM system puts out 825W peak into 16 speakers/9 channels.

I'm not "any listener" and I want to calibrate my sound the way I like it. :)

·
Banned
1,808 Posts

I think that JBL could make a varible resistor device for the high-level input section on the MS-8 if needed. Remember that the 825-watts PEAK in 9 channels isn't going to be 22-24 volts on each channel. Probably more like 30-45 watts or 10-14 volts per channel.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I think that JBL could make a varible resistor device for the high-level input section on the MS-8 if needed. Remember that the 825-watts PEAK in 9 channels isn't going to be 22-24 volts on each channel. Probably more like 30-45 watts or 10-14 volts per channel.
Not in the 2 OEM subwoofers channels of the OEM amp, those are the ones with peaks in the measured 30V+ range.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts

the easy solution will be to trade my 1992 toyota for whatever 'piece' you drive and then install what you want :)

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Not in the 2 OEM subwoofers channels of the OEM amp, those are the ones with peaks in the measured 30V+ range.
Now that can be possible. Sub amp channels are typically going to output that much. It's not uncommon. So, then a legit point has been made. When it comes to OEM systems with multi-channel surround, the sub channel from the high-level input could be too hot for the MS-8 processor. What do you think Andy?

·
Registered
193 Posts
If I start fiberglassing the sub in my trunk using HD/Bondo brand resin will the MS-8 be out by the time it hardens?:D

I have been awaiting this unit ever since I read about it in the stock BMW. I have a 2008 328xi that has thus far been the biggest pain to try and find replacement drivers and amps for. I will continue to wait for this product as it will make my life so much easier.

I say hurry up:D but the GF says take your time:mean:

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Hmm... For the price.. All the processing, routing the 4 balanced channels from my OEM and any other player via Aux to the MS-8, then from post1 (20W x 8 at 4 ohms, 30W at 2 ohms). I'm considering the possibilities with this thing by itself, maybe with just a sub amp for heavy duty if the amp channels are clean enough for normal 4ohm drivers of decent efficiency.

Once more, glad to see this little goodie is still in the skunk-works and not moth-balled.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Andy also said that the "8 output channels and they can be pre-amp channels or powered channels." Can some output channels be pre-amp and some be powered? That is to day: is it possible to use the MS-8's internal amp to power the rear speakers and have external amps to power my fronts and sub?

721 - 740 of 12539 Posts