DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

821 - 840 of 12539 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Lol. I remember seeing that answer a while ago. I haven't been on in a long time and I read the last few pages of this thread to see if there was anything but I didn't see anything.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Andy,
Any chance we could have a group buy on the MS8 as it's released? I'd like to get one as soon as it's released and it sounds like others would too.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sure. that would work. If it were my car, I'd move the display to the front of that hole and mount the center in the top firing into the windsheild. In either case, I think that's an unnecessary number of drivers. Go with the largest single midrange you can find and add a tweeter (half of a 5" component system would be great). If that's not an option, use a 4" or a pair of mids and a tweeter. If you have a bunch of extra amp channels and an external crossover, biamping is OK. If you don't, I suggest a passive for the center.

I find that the best use of MS-8's 8 channels in a car is:

Biamped front (4)
Center (1)
Sub (1)
Sides and/or Rears (2)

If you do sides and rears, run them in parallel.

If you use a 2-way speaker system in front, use separate channels for mids and tweeters. If you do a 3-way, use separate channels for the midbass and a pair of channels for mids and tweeters, together with their own crossovers (passive or active). If you do that, cross the midbass as high as you can stand--1k works well so long as they are 6" or smaller. Our ears aren't good at determining the location of sounds from 1k to 3k, and above 3k, level is the most important criterion. This arrangement provides accurate delay measurements and settings for the midbass and will fix the mids and tweeters using EQ.

Since you'll be using a center speaker, the steering and that speaker will reduce the importance of time alignment for frequencies above the center-channel's cutoff and TA will fix it for lower frequencies using the midbass in the doors.

so, letting aside the front and sub channels, is the above the best configuration even in a Logic7 environment ?

.. no way to get a good result for both the driver and, even to a lesser extent, for rear passengers if leaving
- 2 channels only on front doors (instead of 4)
- 2 channels on rear doors
and 2 for rear satellites ?

thanks

·
Registered
346 Posts
Andy, can you tell me the approximate dimensions of the main unit and display, i bought a new truck and already sold my DRZ so im going to use my stock head unit and im trying to figure out where to put this unit and any other equipment ill run, thanks

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Andy and I exchanged a few PM's and he said that it would be about 8" x 11" x 2".

Unfortunately, no word on pricing or release date though. That could be a deal breaker for me. I'll need a processor sometime in the next month or so and an "unknown" date just isn't possible for me to plan around. I fear that many other people are in the same boat as me and will likely go with other products for lack of a release date.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Andy and I exchanged a few PM's and he said that it would be about 8" x 11" x 2".

thanks for the info, isnt there a display or control unit as well?

·
Registered
402 Posts
If you're gonna skip out on the MS8, at least do something interesting like a CarPC-based EQ. Or a 12V conversion of a pro-sound EQ. The bit-one seems to do very little.

·
Registered
690 Posts
If you're gonna skip out on the MS8, at least do something interesting like a CarPC-based EQ. Or a 12V conversion of a pro-sound EQ. The bit-one seems to do very little.
can you explain to me why you think the bitone does very little. right now it does a whole lot more than the MS-8

·
Registered
402 Posts
ROFL>>>really?
ROFL yes. :)

can you explain to me why you think the bitone does very little. right now it does a whole lot more than the MS-8
Yeah but at the moment that's not saying much is it. AFAICT the BitOne has a few 1/3 octave EQ's, some crossovers, some manual time alignment, and maybe a De-EQer. Anything else?

·
Registered
188 Posts
My impression was that the MS-8 is essentially a BitOne with a bunch of smarts to do a 95% setup in a few minutes where the BitOne would take hours/days to do the same. Is that not the case?

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
ROFL yes. :)

Yeah but at the moment that's not saying much is it. AFAICT the BitOne has a few 1/3 octave EQ's, some crossovers, some manual time alignment, and maybe a De-EQer. Anything else?
Anything else? Well yeah. It exists, for one thing.

·
Registered
402 Posts
My impression was that the MS-8 is essentially a BitOne with a bunch of smarts to do a 95% setup in a few minutes where the BitOne would take hours/days to do the same. Is that not the case?
Nope. Not with a few 31-band EQ's. BitOne isn't even remotely close. It's just a third octave EQ with an xover--we've seen thousands of them before, for millions of years. There's much more to signal processing than that.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Anything else? Well yeah. It exists, for one thing.
Well yeah, we've been over that. But the BitOne is no stand-in for something like an MS8, in the same sense that you can't use your bathtub in lieu of the Suez Canal. If you were thinking about the MS8 but don't want to wait, at least get something in the same category. For $800 you can get a Rane RPM26z. Or even better, for a little more (or less) you can get a CarPC with a bunch of DSP software.

·
Registered
59 Posts
People looking for Group Buys and the dimensions of the unit.
We've been waiting on this thing for about 3 years.
Look, I'd love to see it become reality too, but let's face it, the MS-8 is Vaporhardware.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Nope. Not with a few 31-band EQ's. BitOne isn't even remotely close. It's just a third octave EQ with an xover--we've seen thousands of them before, for millions of years. There's much more to signal processing than that.
I'm with kkant. I never understood the hype on the BitOne for this very reason. I don't mean to rain on anyone's party, but the EQ processor in the BitOne, at the end of the day, is just a 1/3 Octave Graphic EQ. I guess I'm just a parametric EQ or forget it kinda guy. Granted, at least the BitOne is available, but... EQ with no control over EQ points or Q of your filter... there are tons of these type of units out there.

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
I hope the screen is the average size of a navigation console screen so it can get glassed in above the headunit.

821 - 840 of 12539 Posts