DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

81 - 100 of 12539 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
When will the JBL MS-8 be released?

Cause I see a lot of posting of forums about the soundprocessor, but still no release?

Also how will it compare to a Rockford Fosgate 3SIXTY.2?

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
When will the JBL MS-8 be released?

Cause I see a lot of posting of forums about the soundprocessor, but still no release?

Also how will it compare to a Rockford Fosgate 3SIXTY.2?
Maybe for the summer. It will be the best and only stereo processor that uses a center and rears for the stereo reproduction. Dunno how it will compare with Imprint on none center channel and rears L/R applications.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
It requires you to controle it with the that god aweful Alpine deck/controler or a damn DVD player which I don't care for in a car and costs near $1000 or more for everything.
I have no problems with the controller. Don't understand why some people don't like it. It could be a little faster.

But for it does you can't beat it.

Even the Zapco DSP-9 is only a 3 way crossover.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Actually.. I kinda like the looks of that controller..

The trick is, feeding the H701 an optical signal without an Alpine DVD head unit such as the 205... I still don't know if it can be done or not.. I'm fairly sure the AiNet signal to the H701 from any other alpine head unit is actually an analog signal.. and from what I've researched, the optical is THE way to go which makes perfect sense to feed digital direct to the 701's dac's.

Not sure what other head units have optical outs, I'm sure just some DVD units from other brands, and if they do, even with the 701 controller, can the 701 accept it?

·
Registered
424 Posts
The trick is, feeding the H701 an optical signal without an Alpine DVD head unit such as the 205... I still don't know if it can be done or not..
I've been running the H701 and RUX-C701 for about 3 years without a headunit at all. I'm running a custom carPC with Toslink out that goes straight into the H701.

The Alpine 701 Works well (for what it is). Sure it has some downfalls, but it's one of the few options out there. I'd love to find a processor designed for car use with a digital coax input and at least all the features of the Alpine 701. Maybe the MS-8 will prove to be the next best thing once it finally comes out. We will wait (and wait, and wait) and see.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I've been running the H701 and RUX-C701 for about 3 years without a headunit at all. I'm running a custom carPC with Toslink out that goes straight into the H701.

The Alpine 701 Works well (for what it is). Sure it has some downfalls, but it's one of the few options out there. I'd love to find a processor designed for car use with a digital coax input and at least all the features of the Alpine 701. Maybe the MS-8 will prove to be the next best thing once it finally comes out. We will wait (and wait, and wait) and see.

You already have the next generation. ;) You just need to step up and put it to use.:D

·
Registered
871 Posts
Agreed, car computer would eat the MS8 alive.
You sure about that? What kind of car computer we talking about? Heck, the MS8 hasn't been released yet. But not many people are using the carputer to do auto correction.

Juan

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
We're talking about a big-dollar carpc with some kind of serious crazy software, a smokin' multi-RCA sound-card or output into an H701 compared to a sub-$1000 OEM unit with analog inputs, auto-summing, de-eq'ing, auto-room-calibration, etc.... It's apples and oranges.. Not even an interesting comparison I think.

I'm waiting to hear a head to head between the biggie three OEM's:
PXE-H650 vs. 3Sixty.2 vs. MS-8 (either internal or externally amp'd)

Even though I read somewhere a rumor that RF is working on a double-super-secret new OEM unit that's all that, a bucket of chicken, and a 1/2 gallon of sweet tea. :rolleyes:

... eh... I just wanna see the MS-8 hit the shelves.. or at least hit the website??? Is it going to? Then I could stare at it and drool and cuss about my wife shutting down the biz and going back to school.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Absolutely sure.

Lets check the "list"

Available?
Decompresser?
Compressor/limiter?:p
Digital input?
Digital output?
Room correction?
Loudness compensation?
Reverberation correction?
Choice of replay modes, Monophonic, stereophonic, surround, Logic7, ambiophonics, quadraphonics, ambisonics, VBAP?
Can correct recordings with VNC or non VNC?
Full active crossovers, using FIR or IIR?
How many independent channels?, IE mine has 48 routable and fully re-clocked.
Time alignment down to nano seconds?
How many EQ Bessel or your choice of FIR filters do you want per channel?
Terabytes storage?
Plays just about any type of audio recording medium?
Full RTA ability?
Can integrate with standard car controls?
Almost unlimited upgrade path?

Main point
Its available.:)

MS-8 has missed the boat, it has already sailed.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
We're talking about a big-dollar carpc with some kind of serious crazy software, a smokin' multi-RCA sound-card or output into an H701 compared to a sub-$1000 OEM unit with analog inputs, auto-summing, de-eq'ing, auto-room-calibration, etc.... It's apples and oranges.. Not even an interesting comparison I think.
Absolutely sure.

Main point

Agreed. BTW, my carpc cost me <$1000 with software, hardware and screen. ;) It is the source unit AND processor. Nothing can even come close at this cost and as Abmolech said it is not bound by some things pointed out which pretty much makes it untouchable.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Absolutely sure.

Lets check the "list"

Available?
Decompresser?
Compressor/limiter?:p
Digital input?
Digital output?
Room correction?
Loudness compensation?
Reverberation correction?
Choice of replay modes, Monophonic, stereophonic, surround, Logic7, ambiophonics, quadraphonics, ambisonics, VBAP?
Can correct recordings with VNC or non VNC?
Full active crossovers, using FIR or IIR?
How many independent channels?, IE mine has 48 routable and fully re-clocked.
Time alignment down to nano seconds?
How many EQ Bessel or your choice of FIR filters do you want per channel?
Terabytes storage?
Plays just about any type of audio recording medium?
Full RTA ability?
Can integrate with standard car controls?
Almost unlimited upgrade path?

Main point

Wow, don't forget, the MS-8 can't play minesweeper either.

Where can you get that for about $900 (with prelim pricing that is out there for the MS-8)?

So sure, you can do better than a MS-8 (based on the specs out there), but a car PC that does all that would cost a fortune.

Juan

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Wow, don't forget, the MS-8 can't play minesweeper either.
Who needs minesweeper?:confused:

Where can you get that for about $900 (with prelim pricing that is out there for the MS-8)?
Tigerdirect, Newegg, mp3car store and forums.

So sure, you can do better than a MS-8 (based on the specs out there), but a car PC that does all that would cost a fortune.
That's a misconception, that's an excuse.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
hehehehe.. I was hoping kinda that you guys would jump all over that post and shoot me down.. bang.. rrrrrrrr... splash!

Good stuff.. I just wish I knew how to do a carPC, then I'd be all over it.. I couldn't care less if it could do anything more than store tunes in lossless and full SQ tuning and processing.. At least I do have a double-din.. but have had sticker shock out the yin-yang looking at carPC companies.

What kind of hardware does a guy need for a simple 2-way front + rear + sub?

... Eh.. sorry I know that's totally off topic.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Lets see now, is this DIY forum?
yep

So what if we have a computer lying around, and can do it for close to free?
How does MS-8 compare?

Oh thats right, we have the computer...
:eek:

Clue
This is a DIY forum, yes all the inane sub woofer threads, and the silly passive car speaker recommendations, are making this forum just another car audio forum.

But this forum used to be about DIY, and that included using drivers that where the best bang for the buck. (mostly home audio), and therefore required ACTIVE crossovers and independent channels for there processors.

Tell me again how the MS-8 even remotely fits the bill?

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Agreed. BTW, my carpc cost me <$1000 with software, hardware and screen. ;) It is the source unit AND processor. Nothing can even come close at this cost and as Abmolech said it is not bound by some things pointed out which pretty much makes it untouchable.
I think its more like $2000 for the bare minimum you'll need for a fully functional no compromises carpc headunit that compares directly to a head unit with a screen.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I think its more like $2000 for the bare minimum you'll need for a fully functional no compromises carpc headunit that compares directly to a head unit with a screen.
I accept your challenge. Let's see

AMD BE2350 - $100
matx motherboard - $100
PSU - M2-ATX - $90
1G RAM - $50
Harddrive - $100
DVD drive - $100
OS - $100
Soundcard (let's make it 2 for 16 channels 1010LT) -$400
Audio software - $50+
Screen - $300
GPS - $100

$1500 and I didn't really skimp too bad. If you know what you are looking for it can be done for less.

Of course it CAN cost more, but again, you guys are making excuses. Again I ahve to agree with Abmolech, lots of excuses...this is DIY right?

81 - 100 of 12539 Posts