DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1001 - 1020 of 12539 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
The fundamental mistake here was announcing the MS-8 three years ago. Everything else is the normal development process of any consumer product. Sometimes is on time, sometimes it doesn't...
Absolutely agree........Once worked for a Medical device company that promised a certain product by a certain date and had actually collected payment for a few, and down payments on some others ( and hear we're talking about ($150k+ each)......almost a year after promised date they released it.....needless to say they were F'd pretty bad. Not such a good thing to do if you want to keep your customers and share holders on-board, let alone happy.

·
Registered
188 Posts
It's very encouraging to see the testing strategy and how it's progressing. I'm getting really excited about this. Now if I could get a break in the endless home improvement projects so I can strip an interior and start sound control modifications. :cool:

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Release? Hold on... When was that?[/QUOTE]

Ohh you didnt know? Big Lots has exclusive rights to sell them until the official release, picked one up about a month ago. Since you missed the release, check out this picture of the Big Lots ms8 release party!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
So I just found out today that I can output Rhapsody subscription files through the SPDIF output on my EMU-0404PCI. Sure would be nice if that DIY digital input mod for the MS-8 is still on the table. ;):)

(and an input toggle from a remote control button :D)

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Perhaps... But then neither does my MS8.

Release? Hold on... When was that?
Before you get your panties in a bunch, I wasn't implying that the 360 isn't a good piece of gear. It is and it'll support the configuration in question..or a pair will. I was simply pointing out a couple of the differences. Am I the only person on this forum who can remain at least somewhat neutral regarding product comparisons? Why is simply stating the differences between two products like shouting "Allah Akbar" in a Baptist Church in Birmingham?

In any case, MS-8 isn't shipping yet so ALL OTHER PROCESSORS ARE CURRENTLY BETTER THAN MS-8.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Before you get your panties in a bunch, I wasn't implying that the 360 isn't a good piece of gear. It is and it'll support the configuration in question..or a pair will. I was simply pointing out a couple of the differences. Am I the only person on this forum who can remain at least somewhat neutral regarding product comparisons? Why is simply stating the differences between two products like shouting "Allah Akbar" in a Baptist Church in Birmingham?

In any case, MS-8 isn't shipping yet so ALL OTHER PROCESSORS ARE CURRENTLY BETTER THAN MS-8.
Exactly, Andy. I was simply giving a "now" solution to the guy's problem. Like I said before, I'm already in line for your product because I know it will outperform my 3sixty.2's. In fact, I remember when this all first came out years ago... I was in line then, too...lol.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
ok, so I got the answer I that I thought I'd get. use passive crossovers. but Andy, if one "needed" 12(or more) channels in their setup, doesn't using a bunch of passive crossovers diminish the usefullness of the MS-8 somewhat? instead of using the active crossovers of the unit, it's going to be relying on the set crossover points of the passives, which may or may not be ideal for the vehicle/setup. and with more than one speaker per output channel, is the time alignment capability limited as well, especially if the multiple drivers on one channel are in different locations? maybe a midbass in the kick, with mid and tweet in dash pods.

Andy, I hope this doesn't come across as me trying to rag on you or your product. I am very interested in it when it comes out, I just like to know exactly what it will and will not do. is there any possiblity that the ability to link two of them together would be a forthcoming software upgrade after it is released?

Owen

·
Registered
346 Posts
First id like to thank Andy for keeping up with this thread and answering questions about it, with the exception of him and Robert from Zapco it seems rare for companies to be this personal. I think people forget how small of a segment we are probably going to be in the grand sales scheme of this product and technology. I'm sure hes going to need more than a 20 unit group buy to break even, and he seems to be taking a lot of flack for things that seemed to be out of his hands. I'm sure hes more disappointed in the delays than we are, (and Ive been wanting one since i first heard about it)

anyway... my questions for Andy OR anyone else interested in sharing their opinions are...

1) can the 20 w output channels be bridged?

2) how much ventilation is going to be needed, say if i decide to run all channels into amps, would the ms-8 get too hot for a glove box install? or a small storage compartment?

3) what are the dimensions of the controller?, is the main unit still 8.5 x 11.5 x 2.5?

and lastly based on the below description of my new (truck install) what would you recommend for a center channel (size wise) i was thinking of either a 5" revelator or illuminator and the new illuminator tweet, the center speakers are the only ones i don't have yet

i plan on putting my scan 6000 tweets and 12m's (4" mids) in the factory locations in the corner of the dash, my 7" revelators in the doors, a pair of vifa pl's and quart tweets in the back doors, and my aura subs under the rear seats, i was going to use passives on the tweet/mids(since i would need the ms-10 version if i didn't ;) i saw that you recommended crossing the mid bass at 1000hz, (which seems awfully high) in my last two installs with these speakers i had the 7" crossed at 300, and the mid from 300 to 1500-2000, since these tweets play effortlessly down to 1500 with an 18db slope

do you think i should leave the mids out and just do a two way?

would having another 7" rev in the center channel with a two way front stage be a better idea?

if it were your truck and you had everything but the center how would you set it up? and what crossover points would you suggest?

thanks

Vin

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
ok, so I got the answer I that I thought I'd get. use passive crossovers. but Andy, if one "needed" 12(or more) channels in their setup, doesn't using a bunch of passive crossovers diminish the usefullness of the MS-8 somewhat? instead of using the active crossovers of the unit, it's going to be relying on the set crossover points of the passives, which may or may not be ideal for the vehicle/setup. and with more than one speaker per output channel, is the time alignment capability limited as well, especially if the multiple drivers on one channel are in different locations? maybe a midbass in the kick, with mid and tweet in dash pods.

Andy, I hope this doesn't come across as me trying to rag on you or your product. I am very interested in it when it comes out, I just like to know exactly what it will and will not do. is there any possiblity that the ability to link two of them together would be a forthcoming software upgrade after it is released?

Owen
A passive network between midrange and tweeter is sufficient, but for midbass, i'd suggest an additional amplifier with an active filter. For this setup, I'd simply add a 4-channel amplifier and use half of it for the mid/tweeter and the other half for the midbass. If you're using a center channel, the time alignment for left and right is nearly inconsequential, since the left right and center steering nearly eliminates the need for the phantom center, which is what TA provides.

The amplifier channels are designed to drive 2 ohms, but theyt are not bridgeable.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
First id like to thank Andy for keeping up with this thread and answering questions about it, with the exception of him and Robert from Zapco it seems rare for companies to be this personal. I think people forget how small of a segment we are probably going to be in the grand sales scheme of this product and technology. I'm sure hes going to need more than a 20 unit group buy to break even, and he seems to be taking a lot of flack for things that seemed to be out of his hands. I'm sure hes more disappointed in the delays than we are, (and Ive been wanting one since i first heard about it)

anyway... my questions for Andy OR anyone else interested in sharing their opinions are...

1) can the 20 w output channels be bridged?

2) how much ventilation is going to be needed, say if i decide to run all channels into amps, would the ms-8 get too hot for a glove box install? or a small storage compartment?

3) what are the dimensions of the controller?, is the main unit still 8.5 x 11.5 x 2.5?

and lastly based on the below description of my new (truck install) what would you recommend for a center channel (size wise) i was thinking of either a 5" revelator or illuminator and the new illuminator tweet, the center speakers are the only ones i don't have yet

i plan on putting my scan 6000 tweets and 12m's (4" mids) in the factory locations in the corner of the dash, my 7" revelators in the doors, a pair of vifa pl's and quart tweets in the back doors, and my aura subs under the rear seats, i was going to use passives on the tweet/mids(since i would need the ms-10 version if i didn't ;) i saw that you recommended crossing the mid bass at 1000hz, (which seems awfully high) in my last two installs with these speakers i had the 7" crossed at 300, and the mid from 300 to 1500-2000, since these tweets play effortlessly down to 1500 with an 18db slope

do you think i should leave the mids out and just do a two way?

would having another 7" rev in the center channel with a two way front stage be a better idea?

if it were your truck and you had everything but the center how would you set it up? and what crossover points would you suggest?

thanks

Vin
Certainly crossing the mids over lower than 1k is fine--the idea is to use the drivers in their piston ranges (where dispersion is wide). I also think that the rest of your system plan is good. So long as the 5" you plan to put in the center has useful output down to around 100Hz, it'll be great. The bass management system will take care of the rest.

As far as ventilation goes, if you'll use the 20 watt outputs, I suggest mounting this thing under the seat or somewhere that some air will be able to flow. The unit size is about what you've described--I don't have the info in front of me.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
The whole thing is IP and it's the precursor to the rest of recovering the investment. There's not a single on-chip library in use in the TI DSP we're using.

1001 - 1020 of 12539 Posts