DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

12521 - 12529 of 12529 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
looking at your FR, I would rise the subsonic filter and increase the overall subwoofer level. What is your crossover between sub and mid bass?

·
Registered
708 Posts
This is the full Logic 7 system with the MS8 processor active. No manual EQ applied other than 32hz -8.5db, 40hz -10.0db & 50hz -5db.

The other frequency graph was with no processing, just the front door speakers & subwoofers.

My crossover is at 80hz @ 24dB slope. Subsonic filter at 23hz @ 12dB slope & box tuning at 26hz.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
I need help. I thought I figured out the kaigoss method but only one under seat sub was running when I split the signal. What I've seen is to run no sub and a 2 way front with a 20 Hz subsonic and 150 Hz Hi/lo. But when I do that there is no sub-sonic option and the hi/lo only goes to 100 Hz when I select a 2 way front. So I selected 2 subs (8s) with a 20 Hz subsonic and 200 Hz hi/lo. 1 way front and it doesn't ask for xover so I thought it was good. Then I just assigned sub1 to one 8" under-seat and sub2 as the other. Then I used y splitter to channel 1-3 and 2-4 to on my sub Amo to send a signal to my 8" and 12". Hp on 8"s and lp on 12".

Does anyone know why I can't set the xover on a 2-way front higher than 100 Hz if I don't select a sub?

I ended up running normal setup with my 12" as sub and a 2 way front with the 8" as FL (Lo) and FR (lo) but they are barely getting any signal and the 12" is doing all the work.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Kaigoss69 :
1. Run set-up with 2-way front and no sub. Set the subsonic at 20Hz. Lo/Hi at 150Hz, 24dB/oct (just do it...). Crossovers on
amp off.
2. Run calibration
3. Set the amp such that the input from ch 1&2 goes to all 4 channels
4. Enable high-pass filter on amp for underseat woofers. Start with 60Hz, 24dB/oct.
5. Enable low-pass filter on amp for subwoofer. Start with 60Hz, 12dB/oct
When I run the 2 way front after selecting no sub, I can't set a crossover past 100. Can anyone explain why that might be? If I select a sub and then a 2 way front, I'm able to select a hi/lo higher. Should I select the sub with a crossover of 20 but just not add it to the channel? That should send the lows to the under seat subs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I haven’t tried that but, are you sure that you are not setting the Subsonic filter?
Thanks for the response KillerBox.

Yes, you are correct. It's just not labelled as sub-sonic which threw me off. It just says High Pass. Once you select 20 hz, you get the Hi/Lo pass.

With that said, I tried the Kaigoss method in my BMW with the 8" under seat subs and a single 12" JL 12W3v3.4 and I barely got ANY bass. I had to increase the gains too much so I simply ran the calibration with a sub.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi, just a note to followers of this thread. I have two MS8 units for sale as a backup. They have some light scratches but they don't appear to have been installed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wanted to update this for other BMW owners. The Kaigoss method resulted in worse bass for me and my setup. Based on a lot of trial and error, my conclusion was that I wasn't providing enough power. I doubled power to everything except rear speakers which I ended up running in series.

I picked up an Alpine V9 in order to get the 500+ watt sub channel along with the 4x100 which I used to bridge the front Morel Components to 200 watts each. That allowed me to use all 4 channels of the F6 to bridge to the 8" subs to 300+ watts. I bridged the Morel Ovation center channel on two channels of the F4 to 200 watts. (I have an Alpine 4.100 for sale if anyone is interested - will probably post that to classifieds)

Alpine PDX V9 (100 watts per channel, plus 500 watts for sub) - verified at 528w on the birth sheet for the sub
Channels 1-2 – Bridged Left Channel - Morel Hybrid Ovation II 4 2-Way 4" Component Speakers - passive at 1800Hz - 200+ watts
Channels 3-4 – Bridged Right Channel - Morel Hybrid Ovation II 4 2-Way 4" Component Speakers - passive at 1800Hz - 200+ watts
Sub - 12” JL 12W3v3.4 - single in smaller sealed box

Alpine PDX F6 (150 watts per channel)
Channels 1-3 – Bridged Left Channel - 8” Morel MW265-4 subs - 300+ watts
Channels 3-4 – Bridged Right Channel - 8” Morel MW265-4 subs - 300+ watts

Alpine PDX F4 (100 watts per channel)
Channels 1-2 – Bridge Center Channel - Morel Integra Ovation 4" (2-way) - passive at 4000Hz 6dB/octave with tweeter output jumpers to +3db - 200+ watts
Channels 3-4 – Factory 4” with tweeter rear deck and rear door – running in series - Around 50 watts per speaker in series

Alpine PDX amps use Y adapters to bridge. I started with Stinger twisted pair y adapters but they don't have male to 2 male and I have very short runs. The RCA female to male couplers are horrible and I couldn't guarantee a good fit so I picked up 6 Fospower Dual shielded male to 2 male adapters. Was really careful to avoid them running next to any power to mitigate the noise they initially picked up. (I know there is a giant philosophical debate stating twisted pair cable running an unbalanced source is useless but I did get engine noise the first time I switched out the twisted pair)

MS8 Input Channels - Speaker out from factory amp (Per Andy, no need to add more than 1 full range signal for R and L). For the subs, however, they are supposed to go on Channel 7 & 8 per the documentation.

1 - Front right
2 - Front Left
7 - Under seat sub Left
8 - Under seat sub Right

Calibration:

Sub - 1 way - 20 Hz sub-sonic 24dB/oct, Lo/Hi 120 Hz 24dB/oct
Front - 2 way - Lo/Hi 240 Hz 24dB/oct
Center - 1 way - 240 Hz 24dB/oct
Sides - 1 way (rear speakers) - 200 Hz 24dB/oct

MS8 Output Channels
1 - FL (Hi)
2 - FL (Lo) - 8" sub
3 - FR (Hi)
4 - FR (Lo) - 8" sub
5 - Center
6 - SL
7 - SR
8 - sub

1. Set amp gains to “Nom” or about 2V for the V9 for the components, bumped sub gain to just under .5V (first notch past NOM)
2. Set amp gains to just under .5V on F6 for the 8" subs
3. Set amp gains to NOM on the F4 for Center channel and Rear speakers

Calibrated and it sounds AMAZING! All I play are flac rips of CDs and everything sounds awesome. From Ziggy Marley, Black Eyed Peas, Cake and Sublime to Ratt, AC/DC and STP to Metallica, Pantera, Sevendust and Tool. Metallica's Of Wolf and Man starts with a throat punch mid bass that sounds awesome! Sevendust Waffle - amazing. I have the Japan remasters of Van Halen's first 5 CD's and they also sound awesome, although I had to bump the bass system levels for those.

I bought a 256gb thumb drive for the center console USB and the BMW reads flac beautifully. It's probably the reason I'm on my 4th BMW since 2006, lol.

20200213_125418.jpg 20200228_134657_HDR.jpg 20200124_162308.jpg 20200124_121245.jpg

12521 - 12529 of 12529 Posts