DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

141 - 160 of 12504 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Best thing about a computer IS support. IF a part screws up, run to a computer store and pick one up.
Very true. Also, no reliance on proprietary stuff you can't change, especially on the software side. There's lots of theoretical benefits to a DIY processor of this kind; I am seriously thinking of trying this out...especially since I have a laptop already.

The MS-8 has some possible advantages too, in the SQ department. They have a proprietary EQ and tuning algorithm which looks very promising on paper, and it remains to be seen whether the software available for a DIY DSP solution can beat that (or perhaps, the other way around).

For an external soundcards, look at the firewire options. USB tends to bog down the CPU. Fireface 400, Firewire 410, MOTU Ultralite are a couple of options.
Good call, I will look into that.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I personally cant see what the problem with using a computer that you no longer use. Effectively it is free.
I would bet that the vast majority of people posting on this forum have one lying around.

It is a bit interesting when a guy criticises a PC for having mods and "not standard" , who happily modded a rane process to work in a car.:D

Same bunch of guys talk about the steep learning curve and time, yet cut up their cars, rebuild them time and time again.:D

I think it is time the big "H" word came out.:p :eek:

Bunch of ostriches.:rolleyes:

·
11,394 Posts
I didn't say anything about mods and nonstandard stuff...you have me confused with someone else. But I have talked about how much of a PITA it was to have a proaudio based processor in the car and getting it to work in the car.

Seems like it is easier to get things to work in their intended native applications.

Just like a radio, I don't have extra computers laying around...and if I were going to use one, I would have to buy either. And I think there are a few people like me...so the initial cost of a deck or a carputer would not be zero.

So, go put your H word back up.

I personally cant see what the problem with using a computer that you no longer use. Effectively it is free.
I would bet that the vast majority of people posting on this forum have one lying around.

It is a bit interesting when a guy criticise a PC for having mods and "not standard" , who happily modded a rane process to work in a car.:D

Same bunch of guys talk about the steep learning curve and time, yet cut up their cars, rebuild them time and time again.:D

I think it is time the big "H" word came out.:p :eek:

Bunch of ostriches.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
987 Posts
Nope I am going still use it.

How many times have you changed that install etc?
Seems like it is easier to get things to work in their intended native applications.
Well the next time you instruct people not to use the doors etc for there speakers (native place) I will be waiting.....

OK you have no second computer lying around.
Guess how much a second hand P4 will cost you?
Wander down to your local shop they will probably give you a trade in one for close to free. It is quite probable most people would give you one. I have three I would happily give away.

So how does the MS-8 control active speakers again?
:D

·
Registered
854 Posts
What kind of machine do you think most of us are using right now? I mean, your talking about upgrade sound card, bigger hard drive, etc. I have an old computer, its going on 3.5 years old. It came with a 40 gig hard drive, and 512 of memory. Cheapest Dell I could find, paid $230 to my door after rebate. It's a mid-tower, not exactly sure why I would put something that size in my car. I would probably have to buy a sound card, a bigger hard drive, a power supply and/or inverter, and a touch screen. Not free by and stretch, and after all is said and done, I'm hot rodding a 4 year old machine with the "free" machine being the weakest link in all of it.

I would bet the vast majority of people here do not have a machine just lying around, nor a desire to take some big mid or full tower and drag it into their car if they did. I'm all for Jan's approach (small form factor hidden in the car). Outside of work related duties (which is why I got a laptop), my 4 year old machine is good enough for using Office, and browsing the net. Not much else it needs to do. If it wasn't for the kids using it, the thing would probably get turned into a media center. Probably won't be replaced until it dies.

Juan

·
11,394 Posts
I do have the POS laptop that I bought to control the Rane. But it has a bad embedded graphics card. So it's pretty much useless.

How many times have I changed the install since the Rane? 2 new complete installs in 5 years. Few minor ones to change amps.

I only say to use doors if you have to.

If I knew that without a shadow of a doubt that the carputer would be reliable, easy to use, and provide me with the same or better sound than what I would get with either the Rane or the MS-8...for a low cost, I know a JBL dealer who can get me a deal on the MS-8 when it comes out, and I already have a nice deck.

So, how is a carputer cheaper for me?

And say if I don't go the MS-8 route and use the Rane. The only thing I would use the carputer for would be a music server. I have no need or desire for the other things. Granted, it would be really nice to have all of my music at one place easy to access. But again, I want music now. When I turn the car on, I want music then. And I don't want finicky or fickle stuff to mess with...part of the reason why I want to get the MS-8 and take the Rane out.

MS-8 controls the sound the same way you car runs. But neither are from a converted desktop/laptop machine.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Are you serious?
They would be collectors items here.
It would cost me more to put my computer in the garbage than what i could sell it for here. this ones a P4 2.6 with 2 gigs of memory, only way I would get anything for it, is someone wanted the genuine XP on it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
$150 > free.

Out here you still have to spend a few bucks either way, and frankly, I'm not spending a ton of time fixing up some old POS computer just to have it die. Like painting a car, getting a new suspension and then putting in a used motor. Not my thing.

Juan

·
11,394 Posts
Yeap, unfortunately so.

Again, might be my particular market.

And I've been flirting with the carputer thing for a couple of years now...and if there is any person who really really wanted it to be a "simple" solution, it would be me. I really hate having to take all of my CDs around with me. I only use the digital input on the Rane, and if there was a way I could get everything in one place AND keep it all in a digital output AND keep the files uncompressed...well, it wouldn't take much to get me onboard. Maybe a couple of years a go I would/could have put up with the fickle nature of the beast, but right now I'm tired of special this and that, and I just want crap to work the first time without any headaches.

Are you serious?
They would be collectors items here.
It would cost me more to put my computer in the garbage than what i could sell it for here. this ones a P4 2.6 with 2 gigs of memory, only way I would get anything for it, is someone wanted the genuine XP on it.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I salvaged a pentium4 mobile 1.6Ghz processor off ebay $25 shipped. Ancient board from tigerdirect $20. 512MB ram, $20.

Runs everything just fine. Audio processing up the wazzoo and I can still use GPS and such. Only time it bogs down is video, but it can still crank it out. I really don't need video, but everyone always asks, does it play DVD's?

Companies practically give away P4's now when they upgrade their office PC's. Find a guy dumping older P4's off of lease. Make a smaller case (we don't need the bulky PSU), buy a DC-DC unit. Call it a day.

Just trying to give you options guys.

If you can compact it down, a microATX board is about 9.6"x8.5".

·
Registered
987 Posts
I would love to give you some of mine (Nice to see them go to a good home.:) )

Make friends with your local small computer store.
They "trade them in" sometimes, otherwise they would get the customer to give you theirs.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
<- needs to find these P4s that are going to these dumpsters. Could use one in the car and a new one in the house.
I don't know about free, but I see them everywhere for about $20-30. Sometimes you can land a good deal off egay for $20 shipped.

I've got a guy I've bought a few things from that he gets pc's off leases and sells them cheap @ mp3car. I picked up P4 2.4Ghz with motherboard and 512MB RAM for $60 shipped and he threw in another 1G of RAM.

141 - 160 of 12504 Posts