DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm entering the second phase of my 2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU project and I have to look at some midbass ideas. Currently running 6" Alpine components actively. The next setup will be a 3 way setup- I'm intrigued by having a "wideband-ish" setup, so I'm in the process of fabricating A-pillar pods for a set of Alpine 3" midranges and the 1" tweeters, likely running them above 300hz. I have the Alpine 6's currently in the factory pods. The "punch" is adequate, but I want more.
I can keep the 6's I have, or pivot to a 6" woofer (like the JL's), or even move up to an 8"
And I'm always up for some unique and ineresting install ideas and theories- in fact, something outside the norm is likely preferred.

Some ideas I've tossed around include:
  • I've looked at modding the pods to utilize AP membranes for the current 6's. It seems to be pretty straightforward on the install.
  • under dash sealed eclosures or kickpanel sealed enclosures- should also give me a wider stage
  • under seat sealed enclosures. Of course, the extra room under the seat means I could go with 8" midbasses (or, even 10's if i was so inclined)
  • keeping the factory pods and adding a second set of 6's to reinforce. Those would need to be mounted in another location, obviously.
  • possible variations on the cone/circle/elipse of confusion idea-
    • the front factory mids would be near the height of the rear cargo area, the larger cone area of the 8's would likely result in lower distortion, and the mids could be mounted at the widest corners of the "trunk" area.
    • maybe the sound bar? angled rearward?
Ideas? Thoughts? Concerns?

·
Super Moderator
2,013 Posts
Have a look at the 7" Hertz ML1800.3 woofer, at only 1/2" larger than 6.5" woofers it provides quite a bit more bass at a reasonable price...

·
Registered
2004 Rav4 (2)JL900/5 MiniDsp 8x12(Dirac) LPG26NA GS25 Epique180-44 (2)Um12
2,233 Posts
I love these

·
Registered
2010 Jeep JK / 2005 Volvo S60R / 1991 Volvo 744TI SE
99 Posts
Been looking into the options to redo my setup, just need to find the spare time and spare money to actually do it. The likely setup will be a wideband/mid setup, using CDT Unit7.5s or AF GS25s in some custom pods (where the current tombstone tweeters are) and the Anarchy 704 woofers (in the stock sealed dash pods). If I'm not happy with the upper range, I can always add add a tweeter.

The Anarchy 704s are very well suited to be used in the stock sealed dash pods, which have roughly 0.11 cu.ft. of volume. A very close second to the Anarchy are the Dayton ES180TiA-8, but they only come in an 8ohm version. The Dayton E180HE-44 isn't the best choice due to the limited enclosure volume, however the smaller E150HE-44 would definitely work and models very well. My only worry on the E150HE-44 would be the weight/leverage on the stock pods...which are not the stoutest enclosures.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Plot
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern
Rectangle Slope Font Plot Parallel

Attachments

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Been looking into the options to redo my setup, just need to find the spare time and spare money to actually do it. The likely setup will be a wideband/mid setup, using CDT Unit7.5s or AF GS25s in some custom pods (where the current tombstone tweeters are) and the Anarchy 704 woofers (in the stock sealed dash pods). If I'm not happy with the upper range, I can always add add a tweeter.

The Anarchy 704s are very well suited to be used in the stock sealed dash pods, which have roughly 0.11 cu.ft. of volume. A very close second to the Anarchy are the Dayton ES180TiA-8, but they only come in an 8ohm version. The Dayton E180HE-44 isn't the best choice due to the limited enclosure volume, however the smaller E150HE-44 would definitely work and models very well. My only worry on the E150HE-44 would be the weight/leverage on the stock pods...which are not the stoutest enclosures.

View attachment 339107 View attachment 339104 View attachment 339105 View attachment 339108 View attachment 339103 View attachment 339106 View attachment 339107
I’m glad you brought this up. When I bought the E180HE-44 half a year ago I feel like parts express listed .12-.16cf as a suitable sealed enclosure, I just looked and see it’s now .3cf. They are absolute monsters that can take power well though. I’ve modeled them ported recently and I could probably be fine 75% of my listening levels with response down to the low 30’s. I’ve found them to perform superbly in my bomb shelter doors. Many times I’ve looked at the Dayton Esoteric series 7” for a super small enclosure solution.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I’m glad you brought this up. When I bought the E180HE-44 half a year ago I feel like parts express listed .12-.16cf as a suitable sealed enclosure, I just looked and see it’s now .3cf. They are absolute monsters that can take power well though. I’ve modeled them ported recently and I could probably be fine 75% of my listening levels with response down to the low 30’s. I’ve found them to perform superbly in my bomb shelter doors. Many times I’ve looked at the Dayton Esoteric series 7” for a super small enclosure solution.
Tthey had it listed at 0.18cu.ft. according to my records, but looks like they updated the recommendation sometime in March or April. Not surprising, as since PE redid their website typos have been a common issue. On the plus side, they do seem to be fixing them...albeit slowly. Haven't had the chance to use one of these (E180HE, E150HE) yet, but I keep hearing good things from those who have. I just don't think it's worth the extra cost for my intended use in the Jeep's small sealed pods.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I just don't think it's worth the extra cost for my intended use in the Jeep's small sealed pods.
For a while I held a minimalist type view on audio. Specifically in the way of not running my drivers any further into a frequently range then is necessary. For instance, I usually wouldn’t really worry about crossing my front woofers below 120hz because it’s perfectly fine to run the subwoofer up to meet it. That’s in a perfect world though, I’ve changed my views on this because there can be response anomalies lurking in any drivers placement and the extra overkill range of response gives a buffer zone to adjust crossover points above or below the initial desired points. If the original poster has room somewhere, having a driver that can reach higher and lower response then many other options can be a lifesaver when everything has been installed and tuning begins. Those gremlins that can show up after the hours of fabrication/installation have the power to bring one’s system to it’s knees if there’s no no wiggle room on crossover selection. If it’s feasible to install the Epique 7” it’s a great option for it’s very wide and clean response capability. Don’t forget having enough power though 💪🏼

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
After taking a look at the anarchy 7” I’m reminded how nice of a little woofer it is. Certainly does more with the power given and has great excursion. I feel like I remember diysound group or who ever keeps it available is largely doing it at little profit but I also remember the 704 page missing a lot of information. It’s been quite a while since I was comparing choices for my midbass but there was something that made me choose the Epique, maybe IB performance, I can’t remember.

·
Registered
402 Posts
What about the Peerless SLS 6.5? They require 0.1 ft3 and would fit into the pod. I’ve got a pair waiting to go into the pods on my JL. The Epique woofer looks awesome but is huge! What about using the Epique 5.25” version sealed?

·
Registered
99 Posts
For a while I held a minimalist type view on audio. Specifically in the way of not running my drivers any further into a frequently range then is necessary.
True, but for me this is more of a limitation imposed by those stock pods. Sadly, the plastic on them is just too thin to provide enough support a very hefty driver. Might be technically possible to reinforce them, although it would be a big pain to do as they fit relatively tightly in there and they're also shaped weird to fit the dash. That limits the available depth and makes replacing them with something custom a royal pain in the $$$.

Only pics I have are from a few years back when I pulled them out to clean, after being caught out without the doors made a mess of the interior. For reference, the drivers installed in the pics are Boston SL60s. According to the spec, they measure 145mm [5.71875"] (basket) and 63mm [2.46875] (depth).

Peerless SLS 6.5
Specs are definitely good on those for the application, but I'd be very hesitant about suggesting anyone run a paper cone woofer in that location in a Jeep. They can get exposed to water and other stuff quite easily, especially if you run without the doors. The mud splatter in the pics was from driving down a dirty road after a surprise spring shower, not an off-road trip.

Headgear Font Machine Metal Watch
Camera lens Camera accessory Cameras & optics Film camera Automotive tire
Eye Automotive tire Motor vehicle Auto part Circle
Automotive tire Cameras & optics Camera accessory Film camera Camera lens
Light Automotive tire Camera lens Gas Font

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
If it’s not been mentioned, maybe a SB acoustics poly 6” if the pods aren’t stout enough to support heavy speakers, they’re not stout enough to support much bass either.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
What about the Peerless SLS 6.5? They require 0.1 ft3 and would fit into the pod. I’ve got a pair waiting to go into the pods on my JL.
Those JK pods pictured look like they would take a larger diameter magnet much better than the JL pods. The JL pods have a more irregular shape and really limit the use of drivers with bigger magnets.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Those JK pods pictured look like they would take a larger diameter magnet much better than the JL pods. The JL pods have a more irregular shape and really limit the use of drivers with bigger magnets.
That's what I'm looking into @old but new to this . The factory mounts seem to be 6.75s- and a bracket is needed to install a standard 6". It has a pretty flat front face, so it may be possible to facbricate an adapter to allow an 8- the depth seems to be there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts