DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’m putting together some ideas for a system in my 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR. The stock dash speaker in the top of the dash fires directly up into the windshield. Ideally I’d like to keep the speaker in the stock location, but I’m not opposed to building on axis pods. I will be powering the speaker active with an old 50watt x 2 ADS amp. Would the Dayton Audio PS-95 8ohm be a good choice for the stock location? If not what would you recommend?
I’m looking at doing either a 2 or 3 way active system up front with a sub.

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
If you go 3-way, then I wouldn't use the Dayton point source, since you'd end up doubling up on the tweeter. The Dayton could be fun to play with in a 2-way setup, but i don't have experience with it, so I'd have a tough time committing to it. What are you using for processing? I suspect you'll have a hard time getting the Jeep to sound great without a lot of work (because it's a Jeep) so the Dayton might end up being a pretty cool solution.

The Dayton has a low sensitivity, and low power handling, I'm not sure you'll get the output you want to overcome how noisy a Jeep is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My thought was using the Dayton in a 2 way set up with a 6.5” or 5.25” mid in the lower dash. They are fairly cheap to play around with so I may just try them out and go from there. In the lower dash I’m getting the Metra speaker pod that holds up to a 6.5” woofer. If I go with a 3 way system any recommendations for a 3.5” midrange?

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
My thought was using the Dayton in a 2 way set up with a 6.5” or 5.25” mid in the lower dash. They are fairly cheap to play around with so I may just try them out and go from there. In the lower dash I’m getting the Metra speaker pod that holds up to a 6.5” woofer. If I go with a 3 way system any recommendations for a 3.5” midrange?
It's a speaker that I agree would be fun to play with, but the low sensitivity, and low power handling make me a bit concerned that they won't provide the output you'll want, especially while driving a Jeep down the highway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I was worried the output would suffer. I’ll keep looking for a midrange. I’ll probably stick with my original plan. Does anyone have a good method of enlarging the holes in the plastic lower dash panel?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do the 3-way. Look up davidram he’s using the morels. I’m using the focals View attachment 261842 View attachment 261843
Nice! Would you suggest a small mid and tweeter in the upper dash with a midbass in the lower dash or kick panel? I have a pair of separates but the mid is 5.25” which would require mounting them in the lower dash. I also have a pair of 8” midbass speakers I could build kick panels for if needed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry cannot comment on lower dash speakers. I did door panels. These were my first ones. I’m doing version 2. Because of the lumbar knob. View attachment 261928 View attachment 261929
Very nice. I thought of doing door speakers but I pull my doors off from time to time. Figured a midbass in the kick tucked back out of the way would be better for my situation and I have the speakers already. Just not sure if the 5.25 in the lower dash will pull the soundstage down. That’s the reason I was thinking of a mid and tweeter in the dash.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts