DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a USB headunit for awhile now and just came across this while I was at the HD Radio website (I'd also love HD Radio built in).

Welcome to JENSEN

Jensen VM8013HD, it does just about everything I'd want in a car.

What do you guys think? Normally I'd steer away from Jensen but this sounds bada$$ for the money. It would be going in my Jeep so no big deal on sq unless it would suck a lot.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
If you do decide to buy this (and *I* wouldn't) makes sure to buy it locally, so that *when* (notice, I did not say "if") it breaks, they can swap it out for you.
Pioneer screens are soooooo cheap nowadays, spend a little more and get an infinitely better product. We have both brands where I work...

Jay

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What breaks? Everything? I'm not surprised to hear this but their current lineup LOOKS a lot better built than in the past. On top of this I would hardly ever use the CD function with HD radio and both USB and SD card reader. I was thinking of using forum sponsor Sonic Electronix.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
The Jensen screens we sell, it's usually internal issues...occasionally flio out screen gears fall out...they're not horrible *for the price* but for a little more the Pioneer is a better buy.

Also, HD radio isn't all it's cracked up to be. So far we have about a 75% return rate.

Jay

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
75% ouch...I feel that people aren't educated on what HDR is. I think a lot of people think it is some new special transmission (like satellite) when in actuality it is just hidden in the same old frequency modulated signal.

FWIW this isn't a flip out screen, it is built into the face. I'm really not buying it for the video portion, just audio. I figure some time I'm camping on the trail it COULD be cool to have a movie to play (like if it is raining) but I bet I don't use it more than a handful of times.

I dunno, I may just get the JVC Arsenal KD-AHD59 which has HDR and a USB slot and costs about $50 less.

The idea of tossing an SD card into the Jensen HU and using it like a built-in HDD is really cool to me though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what would you guys suggest for a clean looking ~$200 HU with USB and/or SD input, CD and maybe HD radio?

·
Registered
844 Posts
I like the HD radio, it sounds better than satellite to me. It might be a waste though if you don't live in a metro area that has a lot of stations broadcasting in HD.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I'm just going to get the JVC Arsenal KD-AHD59, has anyone here used one? It gets great reviews on CF.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts