DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

141 - 146 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dr. Who - as Jimmy said you really don’t need much to make the spacers yourself. If someone is offering to make them, well, that’s really nice of them, but if you have a jigsaw you can do it in minutes (literally). Just make sure you sand off any of the fuzzy stuff that doesn’t fully come off when you make your cut. You don’t want that stuff anywhere in your speaker.

Hopefully this will offer you some encouragement...

I just finally got everything in, all wires are good (Jimmy - that pinched wire ended up being between the amp and the OEM wires! Thankfully I didn’t go pulling the driver’s door off again to run another wire. Thanks for making me put the brakes on and think about it a bit!). A lesson to all - it’s almost always the simplest issue that is causing problems! Anyhow, with everything in and a couple of days of tuning under my belt, I am completely awestruck. The sound is out of this world. This is what I’m rocking at the moment:

Amp/Processor
*Mosconi Pro 5/30
*Mosconi Pro 4/10
*Helix SDMI25 Fiber Interface
*Helix DSP Ultra (it is as good as everyone says!)

Front Stage
*Focal TKM tweeters (will put my Esotec2 110s in)
*Dynaudio Esotar2 430 mids
*Audio Developmemt W800-NEO under seat mid woofers

Rear Fill
*Dynaudio Esotec MD102 tweeters
*Dynaudio Esotec MD142 mids

Sub-Duty
*Boston Acoustic Pro 8.5LF subwoofer (using manufacturer recommended 0.30 sealed box)

Happy building and Happy 4th everyone!!!
(y) - Excellent!

;-)

·
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
I literally made a new set of spacer rings this morning... took all of 30 minutes.

My original set were made out of 1" thick HDPE. They worked perfectly in my old 440i. But then I transferred them into my X6M, and the seat rails in the X6M must be lower, because the cone was hitting the underside of the seat rails when I cranked up the volume. Originally, I thought I was bottoming-out the W800-NEO's, but then realized that the noise was actually the cone hitting the under-side of the seat rail.

I pulled them out, made new 3/4" spacer rings, and all-good now!

Here's what I used (2 of these): HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) Sheet, Opaque Off-White, Standard Tolerance, ASTM D4976-245:Amazon:Industrial & Scientific

Seriously, all you need is a jigsaw and a sheet of 3/4" HDPE. Use the OEM speaker as the template. Trace it with a marker and cut it with the jigsaw.
15 minutes each to make the spacers.
1 hour to pull both seats, replace the spacers, and put everything back together...

They aren't fancy... but they're 100% functional. Work perfectly, and I'll never see them again (unless I decide to replace those drivers with Utopia 8WM's).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I literally made a new set of spacer rings this morning... took all of 30 minutes.

My original set were made out of 1" thick HDPE. They worked perfectly in my old 440i. But then I transferred them into my X6M, and the seat rails in the X6M must be lower, because the cone was hitting the underside of the seat rails when I cranked up the volume. Originally, I thought I was bottoming-out the W800-NEO's, but then realized that the noise was actually the cone hitting the under-side of the seat rail.

I pulled them out, made new 3/4" spacer rings, and all-good now!

Here's what I used (2 of these): HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) Sheet, Opaque Off-White, Standard Tolerance, ASTM D4976-245:Amazon:Industrial & Scientific

Seriously, all you need is a jigsaw and a sheet of 3/4" HDPE. Use the OEM speaker as the template. Trace it with a marker and cut it with the jigsaw.
15 minutes each to make the spacers.
1 hour to pull both seats, replace the spacers, and put everything back together...

They aren't fancy... but they're 100% functional. Work perfectly, and I'll never see them again (unless I decide to replace those drivers with Utopia 8WM's).
View attachment 273216
Jimmy,

If it's so easy for you :eek: , PLEASE, make me a set, I WILL PAY!

🤓

·
Registered
82 Posts
One thing to note: you may or may not get the oval-ish metal bits that are under the screws in the hardware package with your NEOs. I did and everyone I asked could not figure out what they were for. After giving it some thought where they are now seemed like a logic place to use them since it protected the frame from being damaged when you put the screws in:
Good call with the oval washers. Without the washer the screw could grab the rubber and twist the rubber off the frame. I saw it happen a couple of times when I was installing a long time ago.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don’t suppose anyone on here could point me in the right direction for hooking up a MS8 in my non MOST BMW? Just feed it from one of the rear speaker wires i am guessing?

Got to do this on our old 2009 1 series e81 before doing same on our 2016 f22 2 series.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
141 - 146 of 146 Posts