DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Am I the only one who looks at the Helix Ultra’s new Augmented Bass Processing as a built in Audiocontrol Epicenter?
The Helix version is a massive step-up from the Epicenter.
It is Dynamic... which means it self-adjusts the output level, based on:
  1. The volume level you are listening at.
  2. The actual bass level sample of the original recording.
With the Epicenter; it just takes the bass signal and cranks it up 6dB.
No real brains to it...

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Your thoughts of the W800 under the seat?
The whole idea of putting the midbass under the seat is a bad design, in my opinion...
But the vehicle's interior is beautiful, and I don't want to start hacking it up to do a midbass anywhere else.

So, we are left with replacing the under-seat woofer... and the W800-NEO is as good as it gets.
There's another member (Midway) who recently did the same build, but he used the new Illusion C8 Carbon.

As far as dynamics; you need to put a fair bit of power to those W800's, in order to appreciate their potential.
In this case; I am running 250 watts to each one, from my MMATS HiFi-4250D.

The fact that they are firing up, into the bottom of the seat (and your ass) is good... and bad.
It is good, in that; you really 'feel' the midbass, when it's firing straight up into your body.
It is bad, in that; you don't 'hear' all of the midbass frequencies. EQ'ing helped this a lot.
I have these running from 80Hz to 250Hz.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Thank you so much! I understand about hacking up the car. Did you consider getting some nice door pods made for the speakers to get them out from under the seat? But still keep the niceness of the interior? Something that would look stock and nice?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The one thing I did consider (and may do someday), is something like this:

These are made by Jehnert, and they that look pretty good.
I wouldn't use a Jehnert one. But I would steal their idea, and have something like this fabricated.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Stay tuned... In the next few weeks I'm going to rip my entire trunk out, and re-do it.
  • I've got a new Hertz ML2500.3 sub (blew-apart the Audiofrog GB10D2).
  • I've got a Helix DSP-Ultra that needs to be mounted in a better location.
  • And I've got a Zapco Z150.6-AP coming...

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
WOW, did not like the MMAT HIFI amplifiers?
Nothing wrong with the MMATS... as a matter of fact; they sound excellent!
Seriously, they are incredible amps.

I'm just a sucker for trying new things every few years. I've always been a Zapco fanboy (had Z-LX amps prior to the MMATS).
Swore I'd never go back to A/B after the MMATS... but here we are.

I am going to replace my MMATS 6150 (front stage) with the Z150.6-AP amp, and keep the MMATS 4250 for rear fill and sub.
Should be posting a complete trunk re-do, in a few weeks...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Those classified are dangerous. I was able to get my money back. That pushed me back in a way, where I will have to only deal with certain folks. People I have relationships with and etc.

Outside of car audio. How are you doing?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I agree but I think Jimmydee is on the trusted list. :). But I won’t pay friends and family anyway so I will keep buyers protection. And apparently no WTB threads. :)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts