DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I would like to say hello. Every time i did a search online asking some type of audio question, google always directed me here. So I finally have became a member. In the early 90s I was definaltly into car audio, but it has been a long time since I have had a decent set up in my car.

I have been planning a system in my 2008 Corvette for a while, and though it seems easy enough to throw some subs in the hatch area and roll with it, I decided I want to be able to store my targa top still, so I am limited by space on what I can use. I found a company that makes corner boxes for 10 W3 that would still allow my top to fit in the car. But I wanted something that could handle a bit more power. After searching for a sub that was close to the same mounting depth as the 10W3 I came across the Epic 10. I had the company modify a couple of the boxes to fit the Epic and they should be in next week. They only had to open the holes up about a 1/4".

I did this without ever seeing an epic 10, I had it shipped to them to use for modeling. The boxes have .65 cubic feet of air each, sealed.

Have I made a mistake? Should I have just stayed with the JL W3 10s? I do like JL, and have had some 12 W6V2s in the past. My only complaint about the JLs were a bit boomy for me, but overall I like the sound quality of them. I have never had the W3V3 line.

Thanks, for any advice you might have.

LionelC5

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Search for some corvette installs on here for more ideas. There is one in particular that turned out REALLY nice and still allowed storage of the top from SimplicityinSound.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have searched here for the Corvette installs and though they are inspiring, they are beyond what I am capable of. I am handy and able, just honestly dont have the time. The sysyem I will be installing will be much simpler.

But just because it will be simple, I hold out hope that it can be simple and still sound good.

The plan is:
2 TC Epic 10" subs, in sealed enclosuers .65 cubic feet of air space each
ID 6X9 component sets in the front (need something loud for when the top is off)
JL 1200/1 HD on the subs
JL 600/4 on the fronts
Still looking for a single din head unit(so lost on this, could really use some advice)
And posibly an MS-8 to bring it all together.

Is the 600/4 a bad choice for the front? I wanted to run active, but im worried that it will be too much for the tweets

Any advice or criticism would be greatly apreciated.

Sincerly,
LionelC
Lionel

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
That is still a badass system! I was just referring you to that one because I remembered they retained the ability to store the top. I think the TC subs will be better. I've run W3's before and they were OK, but the TC sounds has more power handling, linear excursion, and has gotten good reviews on here. Plus they are priced nice and can fit in a pretty small box. That setup you have planned should be awesome! Post a build log when the time comes.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
6.5's are known to be better souding due to it round shape. Might want to do a search on that. As far as going active you'll need a head unit that is capable since that HD600/4 doesn't have the features for it. Most common head units that i've seen used on active setups are 800prs, 880prs, cd7000, and mk7200. There is a lot of info on the forum you just have to look for it. not many like to just hand info to a person when they can easily search on the forum.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is still a badass system! I was just referring you to that one because I remembered they retained the ability to store the top. I think the TC subs will be better. I've run W3's before and they were OK, but the TC sounds has more power handling, linear excursion, and has gotten good reviews on here. Plus they are priced nice and can fit in a pretty small box. That setup you have planned should be awesome! Post a build log when the time comes.
Thanks for the response. I kina felt that I was taking a shot in the dark with the TC subs. I have no experiance with them, but what little I could find on them seemed positive. They are priced nice, but honestly I did not care about the cost as much as the 6" mounting depth. If there was another sub that would fit in the shallow depth and small airspace and handle the power, I would have went with it.

I have just been "out of the game" for a long time....

Sincerly,
Lionel

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the info Adrenalinejunkie. I know there is alot of information here, and it can be a bit overwhelming. But just by you listing a few of the head units that I can use to go active is a great help. I was starting from zero, so you have given me a few to research.

I have always heard that round is better, but I have seen some good reviews on the ID 6 X 9s so figured I would give it a shot....

Thanks again,
LionelC

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I'm pretty sure the round is better myth has been busted.

The W6 sounding boomy would be a function of the enclosure it's in.

The W3s sound a lot like the W6 with less output and a little less low end.

The 600/4 is fine for the tweeters, just adjust the gain accordingly. I've run my tweeters off of it before I got the 900/5.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Check the new pioneer p99 out if your looking for a single din deck, it has all the control you need so you won't need the ms8 if you get this. I have heard this unit in a lot of the forum guys cars from the socal meet and am aiming to buy this one myself.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check the new pioneer p99 out if your looking for a single din deck, it has all the control you need so you won't need the ms8 if you get this. I have heard this unit in a lot of the forum guys cars from the socal meet and am aiming to buy this one myself.
Thanks, I will definatly look at it. I have room for a double din, but honestly I dont like all the "extra" crap that most decks have. I want something that is simply about the sound, no GPS, no bluetooth, nothing extra. It seems like a simple user friendly deck with no frills and good sound quality does not exist. I dont want to have to take a two week class on how to use my radio....lol

LioelC

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad to hear that, I did not know if I could get the 600/4 down enough to use it on the tweets. It fits my plans well because of the power, and the phisical size of the amp.

Lionelc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts