DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks, so I'll start by saying I'm really looking for an SQ solution thats not going to require a ton of power. I have an E39 Body 5-Series, with a custom built 2x12 enclosure with 1cu ft per sub. My amp is the Infinity Kappa Five 300x1 @ 2ohm. I currently have the option of purchasing a good used pair of 12w0-4's (the first gen) but my main concern is that they are 5 years old. Or waiting a bit to pony up for the Peerless woofers. Any other suggestions that will work with this kind of power and enclosure set up? Are the new W0's any good? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
The peerless is a 4ohm subwoofer. At first it may seem like a disadvantage because at 4ohms, your amplifier sends less power, but consider the fact that it's a very high sensitivity subwoofer and it will reach its one way xmax excursion with only 240watts playing a 30Hz tone in a 1.4 cu ft box. So basically, it does not need a lot of power. This is based on WinISD models. At this point it will be about as loud as a lot of 2ohm subs that are being fed 350-400watts.

I haven't heard either, but I would bet that in terms of sound quality Peerless is better. It's been widely used and reviewed, I haven't seen a negative review of a Peerless XLS/XXLS driver yet. JLs on the other hand are old and are JLs lowest end product. Peerless is kind of expensive though, with Madisound and Parts-express selling them for about $250 shipped. The Peerless XLS "home audio" sub is cheaper, but its sensitivity is a lot worse. You'd probably need an amplifier rated around 400watts RMS at 4ohms for it, but it can run in a smaller box. 1cu ft would be fine, but it could run in yet smaller box.

By the way, madisound web site recommends 1cu ft box for 835017, but WinISD recommends something like 1.8cu ft for a perfect 0.707 qtc. Neither option seems great. 1.8cu ft box is pretty big physically and excursion control is pretty bad at lower frequencies. 1cu ft on the other hand results in higher qtc. It seems like 1.4-1.5 cu ft box would be a better alternative with qtc of 0.818, F3 around 43Hz, and better power handling.

Another interesting option is to consider buying two 4 ohm Dayton HF 10 inch subwoofers (12 inch version is kind of like XXLS, requiring even a bigger box). Two of them cost about the same as one Peerless 835017. Put them into 0.6-0.8 cubes each. A new dual chamber 1.5 cu ft box from sonicelectronix would cost something like $30. They are considered to be on a similar SQ level with Peerless, but with two of them you can get probably better SQ due to more cone area and less need for excursion, and they could also give you pretty good SPL, since you can wire them for a final 2ohm load.

Yet another option, since you have the custom built box is to try to buy a couple of 12 inch Dayton Reference HOs SVC subwoofers. With their price of 150 or lower a pop, they're almost as cheap as one Peerless XXLS, but again you get more cone area, and more SPL potential. The common consensus is that you probably need to feed 500-600watts to a single Dayton HO sub, but with two of them you get twice as much cone area, so 3dB more in terms of power efficiency, so they probably sing fine being fed from just one 300watts RMS channel.

Of all of these options, dual HF10 would probably be my top pick. Very good efficiency, on par with XXLS, low end extension is better than HO SVC, good power handling and SPL, etc.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i have a 1.6 cubic box seal for the HO 12 right now it play ok... and want to keep my box so i should go with the peerless do to the box is to big for the the HO

1 - 4 of 4 Posts