DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JL 12 W6 in a spec box at 1 cubic foot. I have option to throw it in a 1.5 cubic foot box too. Is it worth it to use the larger box? Both are sealed going in a trunk. Amp is larger than needed (900 watts).

·
Registered
949 Posts
With a 900 watt amp you’re gonna blow it. With a larger box than what JL calls for, it’s gonna blow even faster because now it has less control over the cone.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Not all 900 watts are going to it. Gains about 35% or less.
Agreed, if you measure it out and keep it at 600 it should be fine. JL doesn’t under report what they’re subs can take though, so you gotta be pretty damn close without going over.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Not all 900 watts are going to it. Gains about 35% or less.
JL Specs their boxes small for what are affectionately known as Hi-Q boxes but 1 cuft for the 12W6v3 is not as bad as most of their prefab boxes.

Going to 1.5 will get you slightly more extension with a reduction in power handling as noted by @Granite so you're not likely to even notice unless it's a full on SQ Install.

White is 1 cuft Sealed
Red is 1.5 cuft Sealed
Colorfulness Rectangle Font Slope Line

·
Registered
79 Posts
FWIW, i have run my 12w6v3 in a spec sealed, a box built to spec for a 12w3 (1.25cf) it sounded good hit lower, in a to spec ported (1.3), and I now have it in a larger than spec ported (1.75) tuned to 30. it sound and blends better now. the sub is powered by 800 watts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To be honest my w6 doesn’t get loud enough for me. I think the accord trunk blocks a lot of bass in the vehicle, plus road noise. Daily driver going 60-80 daily. I can’t hear the lowest notes well. Little eq on the DSP there between 40 and 63.
Is 300 watts x2 good for 2 12w6v3s? Running a xSeries amp. [email protected] or [email protected] One at about 600 is weak and I’m not sure how to get what I want. I don’t want to throw money unnecessarily at this.

·
Registered
79 Posts
To be honest my w6 doesn’t get loud enough for me. I think the accord trunk blocks a lot of bass in the vehicle, plus road noise. Daily driver going 60-80 daily. I can’t hear the lowest notes well. Little eq on the DSP there between 40 and 63.
Is 300 watts x2 good for 2 12w6v3s? Running a xSeries amp. [email protected] or [email protected] One at about 600 is weak and I’m not sure how to get what I want. I don’t want to throw money unnecessarily at this.
As suggested to me by others here when i was in the same boat, try ported. I wasn't happy with my W6 till i went ported.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Got it. Appreciate all the feedback. I’ll pass along the 1.5
0.702 Qtc is pretty good, I'd run the 1.5 cubic foot box all day long.

·
Registered
949 Posts
As suggested to me by others here when i was in the same boat, try ported. I wasn't happy with my W6 till i went ported.
Interesting. Now I’ve gotta buy a ported box because my 12w6v3 is way too quiet in a 1.1sqf^3 box. I always wanted to hear what two would sound like, but ended up with two w7’s instead so I’ve had little motivation to get another w6.

Reactions: SkiZZD
1 - 12 of 12 Posts