DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by the audio shop that I should power a 12W7 with the HD1200/1. Isn't that too much?

And how do I figure out what size fuse I need on the power cable by the battery? I have a 65w x 4 amp and then whatever I choose for the W7.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just get the sub that amp was built for.... the 13w7 :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
i think the hd750 would be a good match, if you want to be on the safe side. you can set gain on the hd1200 to limit power to around 1000w. honestly, though, difference between what the hd750 puts out vs. 1000w isn't going to be much, you can save yourself some cash and just get the 750. as for fusing, add up your 4ch amp fuse(s) and the recommended fusing for the jl amp. your battery fuse should be somewhere between this value and the capacity limit of the wire you are using.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
It isn't too much power, if you set it up properly.

One thing I will say for JL Audio is that they do have great documentation. Seriously, RTFM - we all had to start somewhere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The HD1200 is an excellent amp for a 12w7. Yes, it outputs more power than what the 12w7 can handle, but if your gains are set correctly, and you refrain from making any major boosts in the response curve, you should have no problem at all.
I used to run a 1000/1v2 on my 10w7, and it easily brought it to distortion with anything over a +3db boost, but with the gain set correctly to the appropriate voltage, and with no boost being used, it was an excellent match, despite outputting about 300 more RMS watts than what the 10w7 is rated at.
As far as the fuse goes, check the owners manual or JLAudio.com. Its probably around 100amps, maybe a little more...

·
Registered
615 Posts
The difference in SPL between the HD750 and the HD1200 is less than 3 dB... Barely enough to hear a difference.

Personally, I'd run the HD750...

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
I have the HD 750/1 and I also have a Jl 13W7, and the two shall be as one.:)

·
Registered
898 Posts
750 is a PERFECT power for it. On JL site it requires 750 to play correctly. If you're going ported that will do. Sealed I would give it the extra and go 1200.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts