DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

well i know that alot will say that i should simply change my mind and go for a diff. amp for the prices are high but im targeting a 1 brand amp set up. so main question is with this 2 mono amp. currently im already happy with my old school 400 watt mono amp for a JL audio W6 but since i want to beautify my trunk, i wanted to change my sub amp to a JL slash and im contemplating on the benefits that i would be getting on the bigger amp.

so what would i really be geeting if i go with the bigger amp? am i better off with the 500/1? well im thinking about future plans also and im aware that if i change my sub the 1000/1 would better for i may have more options to choose for the sub... but then again, on an SQ stand point i know also that 500watts would also be enough to move any sub, especially with the capability of the 500/1.

so which is which?

thanks for any input guys...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Really, they're the same architecture, the 1000 just has more output transistors and therefore more power. It totally depends on your subs. If you have subs that can take 1000 watts, and you like it loud...go for the 1000. If you don't, the 500 is the logical choice. If you have lower power subs now and want to upgrade in the near future, get the 1000 and run it with the gains down a bit until you upgrade.

What kind of subs do you have now?

·
Registered
139 Posts
What kind of subs do you have now?
hi guys,

well i know that alot will say that i should simply change my mind and go for a diff. amp for the prices are high but im targeting a 1 brand amp set up. so main question is with this 2 mono amp. currently im already happy with my old school 400 watt mono amp for a JL audio W6 but since i want to beautify my trunk, i wanted to change my sub amp to a JL slash and im contemplating on the benefits that i would be getting on the bigger amp.
For that especific sub you'll be OK with the 500/1 and it can handle a large variety of subs in case you want to make a change of sub

but if you don't have money or space issues, and you wish to get louder later on, you could get the 1000/1

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well based on the technical aspect, the 1000/1 would be 3dbs louder... would that be enough to justify the price diff? or is there something that im just not seeing on the 1000/1. also i have read somewhere that most people prefer the 500/1 over the 1000/1, but i cant seem to find the specific link therefore not able to get the conclusion?

would i simply be over analizing things? and should really get the 1000/1 or there is really something im not aware where im better off with the 500/1?

·
Registered
115 Posts
well...3dB is nearly twice as loud...buuuuuuuuuuuuttttttt...that's assuming your subs can handle the full power of the amplifier. You really need to tell us what subs you're running or we can't give you an educated answer.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well currently it is a single W6, might be planning on going with 2 of those, or going with 2 AI IB15 or last option would be 2 beefy 8's on a sealed enclosure like a Sound Splinter RL-i 8 or 2 of those Sound Splinter Orphan 8. space is also a consideration... though i'm leaning towards the IB setup or 2 8's on a sealed box.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW: just to add on the list, i could consider 1 W15GTiMkII in IB, or a single W12GTiMkII on a sealed box...

so what do you think guys...

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
Just my 0.02 cents...
If I were in your shoes, I would buy one 500/1, use it on the single W6.
When you feel it is time to upgrade (either the IB15 setup or the 8s setup) I would just use the amp on both - until you can afford a second 500/1 which will be used on each sub.

For the IB15 setup, 500/1 on each sub will show a 4ohm load which will sound better (due to damping factor) instead of the 2ohm load with the 1000/1 for both.
Same deal for the 8s...

Hope that helps,
Kelvin

PS: man... I'm gonna get flamed for this :p

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just my 0.02 cents...
If I were in your shoes, I would buy one 500/1, use it on the single W6.
When you feel it is time to upgrade (either the IB15 setup or the 8s setup) I would just use the amp on both - until you can afford a second 500/1 which will be used on each sub.

For the IB15 setup, 500/1 on each sub will show a 4ohm load which will sound better (due to damping factor) instead of the 2ohm load with the 1000/1 for both.
Same deal for the 8s...

Hope that helps,
Kelvin

PS: man... I'm gonna get flamed for this :p

if i go with this route, would this simply have an increase in the electrical load on the car?

any other inputs guys? im just really confused on what to get... pls help me decide...

lets put it this way,

if i get the 1000/1, im afraid that in the long run i may realize that i just simply wasted the money for its too much for my application...

if i get the 500/1, if afraid of the other way around where in i might just be looking for something more...

would anybody consider a 500watt amp to be a general need for good bass, something like "ideal wattage" and 1000 watt amp for SPL lovers? for if that would be that case then ill stick with the 500/1, but if as for experience of most audiophiles. competitors, enthusiast, and really 1000watts is the way to go, then ill go for the 1000/1.

im into SQ, but i would still like to have enough bass to massage my back but controlled enough not to destroy the car...

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
well...3dB is nearly twice as loud...buuuuuuuuuuuuttttttt...that's assuming your subs can handle the full power of the amplifier. You really need to tell us what subs you're running or we can't give you an educated answer.
3db is not nearly twice as loud....

10db is twice as loud - 3db is hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
small sealed box equals lots of power

mounted with no air spring or "Infinite Baffle" , 1/2 as much power or sub will bottom out when it runs out of suspension

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
small sealed box equals lots of power

mounted with no air spring or "Infinite Baffle" , 1/2 as much power or sub will bottom out when it runs out of suspension
hi, just wondering...

how should i understand this as far as my main question on this thread?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, can i also ask you to comment on my post above... knowing this is what im wanting/needing?

"lets put it this way,

if i get the 1000/1, im afraid that in the long run i may realize that i just simply wasted the money for its too much for my application...

if i get the 500/1, if afraid of the other way around where in i might just be looking for something more...

would anybody consider a 500watt amp to be a general need for good bass, something like "ideal wattage" and 1000 watt amp for SPL lovers? for if that would be that case then ill stick with the 500/1, but if as for experience of most audiophiles. competitors, enthusiast, and really 1000watts is the way to go, then ill go for the 1000/1.

im into SQ, but i would still like to have enough bass to massage my back but controlled enough not to destroy the car... "

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
It is more of a tool used to do a job type thing -vs- are these 2 amps out of over a million the best for what I need :D

From what I've seen ...you buy them , when they quit you buy some more.

Otherwise you would need to study alot to figure out why things do what they do.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
judging from what i think your implying...

well are you one that is implying the 1000/1?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
how about others... any other inputs?

please chime in your thoughts / opinions...

·
Registered
115 Posts
500/1 FTW. If you want more bass later, you can simply get another. IB setups require significantly less power than sealed/ported setups.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
500/1 FTW. If you want more bass later, you can simply get another. IB setups require significantly less power than sealed/ported setups.
So my suggestion was good. Get a 500/1 and wire it to 8ohm if possible or 4ohm
Need more bass later, get another 500/1 + another sub.

Simple Efficient SQ.
Hope that helps,
Kelvin

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, i guess 500/1 it is.

@subwoofery - as far as the 8ohm, why do sudgest that? wouldnt that simply cut the power in half and simply alow the user with 250watts?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts