DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it really make a difference?

I've started a down-firing centre console build in my Mitsu truck for a JL 8W7. Space is at a premium, and I will go sealed if I absolutley have to, but I would like to try and fit a ported box in there if I can.

The main body of the enclosure is limited to 7" wide (the space between the seats) and about 34" long. The sub will be mounted at the back behind the seats.

JL specs state 1 cu.ft tuned to 32Hz with a slot port being recommended.
I find it hard to believe there would be any difference if I used a round port (tuned to 32Hz in 1cu.ft) over slot port, assuming all calculations are correct, but then again I am no expert on enclosure design.

Also, if anyone has had success with different box sizes and/or tuning, I'd love to hear them!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
for tuneing, no, makes no difference. your port velocity will go up though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I used a slot ported enclosure built to JL's specifications and was very pleased. No noticeable port noise. I imagine it might be difficult to do so in a fiberglass console enclosure. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Definitely port if if you possibly can. I had an 8W7 for a while, and although it sounded pretty good sealed, it's just too inefficient to produce enough SPL for just about any application that involves amplified highs. Integrating into an OEM system might be alright without a port, but by the looks of things you aren't exactly running stock.

As for the shape, slots are fine but they take up a lot of space. Aero-ports are on sale @ PE, maybe you can make one of those work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts