DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all.
I just recently came across 3 very awesome old school jl 10w6. These subwoofer back in the late 90's to early 2000 was a very popular and sounded very nice and pricey back then.
Anyways i was always a fan of 3 subwoofer in a single box. I picked up these used 3 10's for a nice price. I wouldn't say it was cheap but to have a chance to rebuild it to last another 20 years sounded sweet. Who knows they will worth something years from now.

From the way they looked, small bar code label tells me they were built in 2003. Must have been the latest version of the w6 in this form before v2. Both voice coil settled at 5.5 ohms and the spider sag just a little.
Other than that the cone and dust cap look good except 1 but its ok. Definitely need re-foaming.
My question is and seems in one post that someone upgraded the foam surround with heavier duty rubber surrounding. Looks good btw.
Do you doing that is a good idea? And will it change anything that would hurt performance?.
Sorry for the long story lol.
But here's what they looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Great subwoofers, a trio of them is a wonderful thing.

Limp Croissant did a helpful description of how he re-surrounded a W0, identical procedure for the W6.

He also provided useful info on suppliers of surrounds. Stick with foam, I have a feeling that changing the material will affect the parameters of the subs.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Man, back in the day you were hot sh!t if you had some w6's 😁

My good friend in HS had a pair of 15w6's in the back of an '89 Integra. Each one running off their own 500/1.

RIP my friend. He's the reason I'm even on this forum posting right now.

Sorry for the off topic rambles!

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I would only original soft parts

·
Registered
358 Posts
You must be in the PNW!!! I saw those for sale by me and was really tempted to buy those and try and refoam them myself. I figured I could practice on one and hopefully get 2 of them right. I would go with foam surrounds also. If you decide not to do it yourself let me know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have two of these subwoofers. Re-foaming both of them wasn't difficult. I bought the re-foam kit from a company called Simply Speakers. I dont think any rubber surrounds are available for the JL W6 v1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts