DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short I wasn’t happy AT FIRST with my C7s which lead me to buy a brand new pair of GB60s. I was feeding my JL VXi Amp with a optical signal from a Pac Audio AmpPro. Rushing to get my system actually playing I never configured the AmpPro module. So the whole time I’ve had my system it was only at about half volume of its full potential. I fixed that this weekend by bumping up the “minimum volume” on the PAC. Now I’m pretty impressed with the C7s and have a pair of brand new GB60s. My plans were to swap the C7s to the back and throw the GBs in the front. I’ve asked this question before but that was before I bought anything now I actually have them BOTH in my possession shaking my head.

What performs better as a SQ woofers?

Should I throw the GB in the front? The back?

Sell and buy another set of C7?

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
You already know the answer ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
964 Posts
Install the 60’s and compare...u have both drivers...I’d see which ones impress me more in my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would listen to both and decide. I have a feeling that once you place the frogs in, you arent going to go back to the JL. I have listened to the GBs and I was very impressed. I also cant say I have heard the C7s either. I also would not put anything in the rear and if I did, I would spend that kinda of money for rear fill. I would find the cheapest decent sounding full range and call it a day.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would listen to both and decide. I have a feeling that once you place the frogs in, you arent going to go back to the JL. I have listened to the GBs and I was very impressed. I also cant say I have heard the C7s either. I also would not put anything in the rear and if I did, I would spend that kinda of money for rear fill. I would find the cheapest decent sounding full range and call it a day.

That’s what I was thinking. I started making another acrylic baffle since the frogs mounting is different from the C7s, I’m going to install a frog on one side and compare.

As far as rear fill can anyone point me in the direction for how to achieve proper rear fill without interfering with my front stage? I have a 3 row SUV and I definitely feel like something is missing without some kind of noise behind me. I have audible physics in the 3rd row D pillars down about -4db and currently nothing in the second row doors.

·
Registered
290 Posts
That’s what I was thinking. I started making another acrylic baffle since the frogs mounting is different from the C7s, I’m going to install a frog on one side and compare.

As far as rear fill can anyone point me in the direction for how to achieve proper rear fill without interfering with my front stage? I have a 3 row SUV and I definitely feel like something is missing without some kind of noise behind me. I have audible physics in the 3rd row D pillars down about -4db and currently nothing in the second row doors.
I am planning on using this thread to guide me when I do my tune:
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/technical-advanced-car-audio-discussion/307730-how-rear-fill-helix-dsp.html

·
Registered
499 Posts
Rear fill (from my readings on this site) should do the following

Delayed around 20ms (+/- depending on your vehicle)
Attenuated around 6-10db (+/- depending on your vehicle)
Should be L-R audio (meaning all of the sound that is common within the left and right signal should be deleted)
Usually full range but it appears that the 300hz-3000hz range is the money maker frequencies for it.

You will have to play with the delay and attenuation until you find that sweet spot. From there it should be an *edited based on skizer's response below*

Note* I haven't done this yet (but have been reading a lot on it to try it out), but will be once I am done with my truck in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
You will have to play with the delay and attenuation until you find that sweet spot. From there it should be an "Oh My GOSH" moment.
i'll correct ya here a bit as someone who has done rear fill plenty of times. There is never an OH MY GOSH moment. Its just a bit better than before when done right

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Agreed. ^ it felt like it gave the stage some depth towards me rather than more to the engine.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
499 Posts
i'll correct ya here a bit as someone who has done rear fill plenty of times. There is never an OH MY GOSH moment. Its just a bit better than before when done right
Thank you for the correction. I edited the above. I was basing that off of a couple threads where they said they could tell quite a bit of difference in the sound. I took that to mean a clear much better, aka oh my gosh, difference.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Awesome right up as always bro very detailed! Have you ever done this on a JL VXi or a FIX?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope, sorry

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

SkizeR! I have a question brotha. I’m making the frog baffles Would it be beneficial to move my speaker higher? Would it raise my stage? See attached pictures.

I centered the C7s like this..

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
SkizeR! I have a question brotha. I’m making the frog baffles Would it be beneficial to move my speaker higher? Would it raise my stage? See attached pictures.

I centered the C7s like this..
Wont make a difference

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
Lol.. here's what my office currently looks like filling orders that include FD1..I really need to figure out how to make accurate shipping rates on my website.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lol.. here's what my office currently looks like filling orders that include FD1..I really need to figure out how to make accurate shipping rates on my website.

Your hard work is NOT going unnoticed brotha! I’m loving this stuff so far my door is starting to sound like a solid oak tree lol and again thanks for the quick ship!

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
Your hard work is NOT going unnoticed brotha! I’m loving this stuff so far my door is starting to sound like a solid oak tree lol and again thanks for the quick ship!
No worries. Let me know what you think when your done. Dont forget that we now have butyl rope coming in and should be here in 4-6 weeks :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts