DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It was suggested to me to go from my JL Audio HD750/1 up to a HD1200/1. Now I can get this as a trade for two items that I currently do not use. My understanding is that in order to achieve higher level db,you need to double your power. Is this not true? So would I gain by swapping amps or not really.:confused:

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
It was suggested to me to go from my JL Audio HD750/1 up to a HD1200/1. Now I can get this as a trade for two items that I currently do not use. My understanding is that in order to achieve higher level db,you need to double your power. Is this not true? So would I gain by swaping amps or not really.:confused:
if all you change is the amplifier, then you will get 2.04dB more sound. up to you, not sure I would do it, lol.

and your understanding is correct. you need double the power (or cone area) to get 3dB more. to get 10 dB more you need 10X more power. crazy

·
Registered
898 Posts
What are you running to begin with?

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
JL Audio HD750/1 to a Focal Polyglass subwoofer in a custom fiberglass enclosure.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Is 3 db even noticeable?

That's what JL claims is the difference behind their recommended enclosures. Vented being slightly louder.

·
Registered
274 Posts
10 db to the human ear is twice as loud.
You will notice 3 db.
You will also be working the amp less during average volume.

Party on Garth.

~JH

·
Registered
898 Posts
Looked it up, NO WAY IN HELL you need anymore then what you have.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is music to my ears, thanks for that. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts