DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want JL Audio but my bank account says no. I see a lot of reviews on YouTube of cheap subwoofers and it seems they are as good, or almost as good at maybe 1/3 the price.

I want sealed, sound quality, low extension. No boom.

This will be in a Camaro trunk. From what I'm told, a high quality 10 inch sub with enough power is sufficient.

Thanks,

Joel

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
Almost limitless options. How much space are you willing to give up for the box? What's the budget? Will you be making the box yourself, having one built to spec, or using a pre-fab? How are you planning on powering it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Almost limitless options. How much space are you willing to give up for the box? What's the budget? Will you be making the box yourself, having one built to spec, or using a pre-fab? How are you planning on powering it?
Well I alluded to the budget already. Less than JL Audio ;)

I can build the box, will be sealed.

Take my whole trunk of you want haha

I'll match the Amp to the sub, whatever it needs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nope nothing like JL,
But hertz copied there design due to the patent end of life u can check this one if you want:

I assume that the Jl tw3 will be better but since they share the same tech and hertz is a decent company It should be good sub.

Reactions: 619Tundra

·
Registered
2018 Honda Accord EXL 2.0 GB 3way doors GB40/10 centre Helix M4dsp/M6 Sundown salt MMats + more
1,385 Posts
Nope nothing like JL,
But hertz copied there design due to the patent end of life u can check this one if you want:

I assume that the Jl tw3 will be better but since they share the same tech and hertz is a decent company It should be good sub.
Lol.... that hertz shallow sub is 550$. I'm sure it's fine if your using it under some truck seats. But it won't compare to the SQL in price and performance. Nothing against hertz, I run the ml2000.3 as a front sub and it's an excellent mid/sub but anything below 40hz it's lackluster

·
Registered
2018 Honda Accord EXL 2.0 GB 3way doors GB40/10 centre Helix M4dsp/M6 Sundown salt MMats + more
1,385 Posts
Everyone on this forum will say SQL everytime, but I don't see alot of talk about them on other forums?
I'm only on this forum and I always suggest it because I have first hand experience with it. What they can do in small sealed boxes is amazing. But if your not willing to run around 2k each you won't see their full potential. I'm a total bass head and I like tons of sub output but I also want it to be as "clean" as possible. The SQL checked all my boxes, low distortion✅️, plenty of output ✅️, small sealed box for space saving✅️, decent price✅️, good customer service ✅️. Only downfall I have to run 4k on 2 to satisfy my crazy 🤪

·
Registered
2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali
1,874 Posts
Cheaper then a JL10w3 - If you can fit it buy it now!

·
Registered
2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
300 Posts
Well I alluded to the budget already. Less than JL Audio ;)

I can build the box, will be sealed.

Take my whole trunk of you want haha

I'll match the Amp to the sub, whatever it needs.
If your reference price is JL’s 13W7, almost every manufacturer is cheaper. Also a wattage constraint is typically dictated by the amount of coin you have or plan to drop into your electrical system.
I have run FI audio for many years with great results both sealed and ported enclosures. The SSD line is good for 1250-2000 watt amps per driver and the HC line is good with 2K-3K. Then they offer 3-5 lines above these for when you want to get a bit nutty.

What is your plan for the front? 2-way, 3-way, active, passive? Knowing this will also help us to steer you in the correct direction.

·
Registered
359 Posts
i also agree with the FI SSD line. i've been running either the 10" or 12" versions of the SSD series for many years (sealed). if looking for lower priced options, the old school JBL GTO and the Image Dynamics IDv.3 have always been excellent sounding lower power performers. my $0.02.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Until op gives a true space measurement he is willing to give up, how much power is truly on tap, hundreds of subs could get Thrown out. Space is a big thing starting out. No need to offer up a sub that likes a full cube if we find out the true useable space is much smaller for instance. Also might help to give an idea what the rest of system is like. Sq means different things to different people and they will offer different brands. Understanding the other pieces of the system may also give insight to the sub selection. Also which jl sub were you looking at to base price off? My local Jl dealer has 1000 dollar subs and 400 dollar jl subs on the floor. This is also why a real dollar amount is helpful

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Kicker: NOT any of the round ones. ANY of the Solo-Baric's, tailored to fit your available space and power. Strongly recommend their "loaded" boxes.

Best bang for the buck though, if you're building a box, is the Morel Primo.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Start with power - as stated previously SQL need healthy power and depending on OEM alternator = electrical upgrades. Even if OP will do IB the SQL is a power sink.

Next - are you really willing to go IB (better known as a trunk baffle) by cramming a wall being the rear seat and mounting a sub? This is the easiest way to get the sound you've described. And on lower power the Dayton Ultimax really likes Trunk Baffle. If not then please define the dimensions of the trunk opening before saying "take up my whole trunk" cause one HT18V3 takes way more space than you have in the trunk.

The Dayton Reference Series are excellent in small sealed enclosures but it would take 2 or 3 HO12D4's to equal the output of one 12W6 or 12W7. The Dayton HE is closer but again requires power.

Skar EVL12 is a value price point leader and Sundown SA12 as well. But there's more efficient 12" subs that can do the same with less power if that's what you need in deference to your electrical. Kicker / IDMax / IDQ / Alpine R - etc.

Using W6/W7 as a reference puts a premium on excursion and efficiency cause that's where they excel. Most high excursion subs (like SQL or Brahma) take huge power so if you don't have a 150 Amp alternator or aren't willing to run dual batteries then it's all for naught.

Help us help you.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: LowBassSubs

·
Registered
2004 Rav4 (2)JL900/5 MiniDsp 8x12(Dirac) LPG26NA GS25 Epique180-44 (2)Um12
2,275 Posts
I second the Dayton subwoofers suggestion, I will probably only run Dayton for subwoofers for the foreseeable future. The reference series might be too clean for spl with one 10” but the ultimax series is a pounder.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts