DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a jl audio XR component set that had blown mids, so I emailed JL audio and they said new mids were like $79 each, so i went ahead and bought it and emailed the tech back to tell him I wanted to order 2 mids. He says, Oh, I made a mistake, they are like $200 each. So I go off and say, I just bought a worthless component set because of your mistake and he writes back and says "I sit here and answer 100's of emails a day I make mistakes."

It really pissed me off. Well anyway now I have 2 more sets of components and they are both missing the tweeter cups, and JL's use those little tilt brackets and I can't find any others that fit the JL XR and ZR series components, so I emailed them about getting some pairs. The guy writes back 'we don't sell them in parts but I will check with warranty to see if they have any and get back to you." that was 3 weeks ago. I've emailed him back TWICE and gotten no response. Pretty ridiculous consider the amount of money I've spent on their gear over the years and the fact that I'm trying to buy stuff to use their gear now.

Just venting, really... has anyone actually had good experience with them?

·
Registered
701 Posts
JL has great customer service, but I don't go off on people either. Some folks at JL go above and beyond and out of their way to answer my questions and concerns. And the item I was inquiring about I bought second hand and they haven't produce in several years.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It probably depends on who you interact with, but I've had okay customer service with JL. Nothing to write home about, but never anything awful.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have to say that I have always had great experiences with JL and their CS. In fact last year around this time I too had a set of XR tweets that needed new cups. I gave them a call to see if I could buy a new set. They told me like you that they did not sell them but they would check the warranty dept. Well they came back and said they had a set and asked me for my address so they could send them to me. They shipped them the same day via UPS FREE OF CHARGE! They were sitting on my front porch the next day when I got home from work. If that's not good customer service I don't know what is. I would give them a call rather than email. Talking to someone over the phone is always much more personal than email.

As to the "mistake' that cost you? Well that's a tough one I admit. I would still give them a call and calmly explain what happened. You never know... 954.443.1100

Reactions: andrave

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
I never had to deal with JL Audio's customer service department and I've been running their products since January of 2000.

·
Registered
504 Posts
JL has one of the best customer service departments in the industry, and have for twenty plus years. A better bet for the tweeter mounts is a shop that sells JL. Chances are that they have some parts sitting in the bay, and if you are NICE, they might just help you out. Then again, if you had purchased them there you would already have the parts...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I purchased them used off ebay because I can't afford MSRP on the ZR's or the XR's for that matter. But thanks for being condescending. There are no "local shops" here that deal in anything that high quality or that would install either of those comps in significant numbers anyway.

I will call their number and talk to them tomorrow and see if I can get the stupid tweeter mounts that are holding up my install.

I had a feeling their customer service couldn't be this bad all the time, but I figured I'd ask, because if it is I just wasn't gonna bother with them and was gonna contact an authorized local dealer to see if they could get me some.

Its just tough because I have these comps laying around and I just lost my job so I have a lot of time to install my system finally, but no money. fortunately I have so much extra stuff laying around from the past 16 years the only other additional part I had to buy was a 1/0 fuse holder.

·
18,692 Posts
I tried to find my thread I made here a few years back about the great cs I got from JL but can't find it. :mad:

Anyway, I'll say that when I've dealt with their customer service, they've always gone above and beyond, IMO.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I purchased them used off ebay because I can't afford MSRP on the ZR's or the XR's for that matter. But thanks for being condescending. There are no "local shops" here that deal in anything that high quality or that would install either of those comps in significant numbers anyway.

I will call their number and talk to them tomorrow and see if I can get the stupid tweeter mounts that are holding up my install.

I had a feeling their customer service couldn't be this bad all the time, but I figured I'd ask, because if it is I just wasn't gonna bother with them and was gonna contact an authorized local dealer to see if they could get me some.

Its just tough because I have these comps laying around and I just lost my job so I have a lot of time to install my system finally, but no money. fortunately I have so much extra stuff laying around from the past 16 years the only other additional part I had to buy was a 1/0 fuse holder.
Good luck and let us know how it goes :)

Sometimes you run into one or two bad eggs at a company, but don't let that ruin their image as a whole :thumbsup:

·
Registered
188 Posts

So you purchased them non-authorized and expected Jl to do something for you? No wonder why you think JL has bad customer service. If I was JL I would have just told you to get bent.

·
Registered
503 Posts
So you purchased them non-authorized and expected Jl to do something for you? No wonder why you think JL has bad customer service. If I was JL I would have just told you to get bent.
That is a hell of an attitude.
A company should support there products no matter what.
That builds good relations with the public.
Then when the person gets money or runs into someone that is looking for equipment the first recomendation is that company.

This is one of the first rules of bussiness.

See how this person has a bad taste in there mouth is spreading the word.
If he had been taken care of we may never of heard a peep.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
lol... ok, dont know of any AUTHORIZED selling used anyway.... He was trying to buy MIDS from them to complete a set..

JL even though i dont deal with them, have had customers get things done through them.. They have always been pretty happy... You might try to reach someone else at the company, maybe they can work with you a little better... $200 each for them mids seem pretty high.. Why dont you try to find a local JL dealer to see if they can get you a better deal.. worth a try.. GL

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont' need the mids anymore I bought another set (also used, off ebay), its just the idea that they would quote a price for a customer and then when I relied on that price and bought the components and they made a mistake they wouldn't make any attempt to make it right since they clearly made the mistake, you know? Like ok maybe they couldn't afford to sell the mids to me at the price they quoted, but if he had written back and said "I understand how I screwed this up and it has put you in a bad spot, and since its my fault we will sell you the mids at our cost, which is, $100 each," or whatever.

And to the person that said I bought them unauthorized, I bought them used, just like 1000's of other people. And I paid good money for them because JL has such a good reputation. I didn't call them looking for a hand out, just called them looking for replacement parts I was willing to pay for. But you know what? If a brand got a reputation for not providing support, service, or parts for their older products, their used value would plummet, which would eventually affect how much they could sell their new products for. Thats business, and its one of the reasons a new hyundai is less than a new honda or toyota.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I dont' need the mids anymore I bought another set (also used, off ebay), its just the idea that they would quote a price for a customer and then when I relied on that price and bought the components and they made a mistake they wouldn't make any attempt to make it right since they clearly made the mistake, you know? Like ok maybe they couldn't afford to sell the mids to me at the price they quoted, but if he had written back and said "I understand how I screwed this up and it has put you in a bad spot, and since its my fault we will sell you the mids at our cost, which is, $100 each," or whatever.

And to the person that said I bought them unauthorized, I bought them used, just like 1000's of other people. And I paid good money for them because JL has such a good reputation. I didn't call them looking for a hand out, just called them looking for replacement parts I was willing to pay for. But you know what? If a brand got a reputation for not providing support, service, or parts for their older products, their used value would plummet, which would eventually affect how much they could sell their new products for. Thats business, and its one of the reasons a new hyundai is less than a new honda or toyota.

You paid good money for a set of components with blown mids? You tried to cheat the system and lost the bet.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How did I try to cheat the system? A seller had 2 component sets for sale. everything worked except for 2 of the mids. The seller told me they needed the tinsel leads reconnected at the terminals. I emailed JL thinking, worst case scenario, I will need 2 mids. They said $70 each so the deal the seller was offering made sense and I purchased them. when they arrived I inspected them and noticed the tinsel leads were fine. After testing them I determined that the vc's were fried, and I emailed the JL rep back to order the 2 mids at the price he provided me, only to find out they were several times that price. I wasn't trying to cheat any system. I wasn't trying to make money. I needed 2 sets of components and the deal I got on them made sense at $160 for a pair of mids but would not have made sense at $400 for a set of mids, and I would have asked the seller for the price on just the one set, had I known they were that expensive.

Youre kinda being a ******* here looking to pin this on me like I'm some evil guy who was going rogue and doing something unheard of. I got burned on a set of used components and then got burned again by JL audio when they refused to sell me a set of mids for anything close the price they quoted me before I bought the set.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Disclaimer: I do not work for or having any involvement with JL Audio or any of their employees. So these in no way, shape, or form speak for JL Audio or employees.

Hmm, why didn't you just get your money back from the seller and sent him the blown mids.

Here's my take:
- Seller cheated you
- You bought them cheap hoping they we still be good (big mistake)
- You called JL hoping to help you out with some bad speakers you bought cheap on Ebay.
- JL quoted you a price for a tinsel lead because that is what you believed was wrong with it the first time, and then got another price because what you explained earlier was not the case.
- So now you are pissed at JL for quoting you a price that would have made you happy and then changing it.
- So you come on here on a open forum and want to bash a company's CS because you didn't get to make your cake and eat too.

With that being said, you should be pissed at yourself for buying something that was blown in the first place. I agree every company should support their products no matter what, but they do have a policy that protects everyone. And this is one of those cases, were you should have talked to the seller to get resolution..

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
People do make mistakes and it is unfortunate that you were quoted an incorrect price for the mids.

My personal experience with JL CS has been positive. JL fixed my HD 750/1 amp for no charge including shipping even though I bought it used. Of course this may be a little self serving on JL's part, maybe to avoid lawsuits for amps catching fire :). And Manville has always responded to my questions.

·
Banned
60 Posts
I've only delt with them once, had an issue with my 1000/1 (Lp filter wasnt working) rather then pay for repair I resolved the issue myself with minimal efforts and emailed them back to update the guy incase someone else had the problem (although im sure they would still love to charge the $180 for "repair") They sent me a JL sticker just for the friendly tip..
Why dont you try talking to the ebay seller, if they dont respond then report them. oh and make sure you read the discription of the item to make sure it didnt' state that they were untested or blown. Ebay/ Paypal have always helped me in a time of crisis.

·
Registered
322 Posts
JL has one of the best CS depts in the industry hands down. I could yammer on extensively with stories of their fantastic service.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised they even said they still had XR mids. They have been discontinued for quite a while. I could see having a few still for warranty stragglers, but they are going on 3 yrs since being replaced in the line and they only had a 1 yr warranty to start. I almost wonder if you got priced for a C5 mid.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts