DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning an MS-8 install in my BMW 5-series (E60) which would place 4-inch components in the doors, center, and rears; 8-inch midbasses under the front seats; and potentially the JL Stealthbox for my car (I know I can build one better/cheaper, but let's run on that assumption).

I have two options for power:

Option 1 - JL HD
900/5 + 600/4 gives me:
150 x 5 (front, center, and underseats), 100 x 2 (rears), 500 x 1 (sub)

Total cost: let's assume $1,300

Option 2 - JL XD
600/6 + 400/4 + 600/1 gives me:
75 x 5 (front, rear, and center), 200 x 2 (underseats), 600 x 1 (sub)

Total cost: let's assume $1,100

The HD's are smaller, give me more power on the components, and (in theory) are higher quality amplifiers. I also get flexibility on the drivers I choose due to RIPS. They are also stackable, assuming I need that configuration, and wiring up two amplifiers is easier than 3. The only con is cost.

The XD's give me more power on the underseat woofers and subs, but less on the components. They are cheaper and with a 6-channel, they are more flexible as a set.

So which would you go with?

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I Would run the hd's for every reason you stated... More power, smaller, one less component to install, etc.
You also have the option of using the ms-8 built in amp.. I'd possibly use that on The rears. It'd be enough power for your fill, and free up a couple channels on The amps to maybe bridge? Depends on how you configure everything...

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I ran the HD amps, I'd run it like this:

600/4 dedicated to the front (2 channels to the 4" components, 2 channels to the underseats)

900/5 - 1 pair bridged to the center, 1 pair to the rears, sub channel to the sub.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
For a couple of extra bucks you'll get almost the same power if not better with the HD's since they have the R.I.B. design which will provide the power through 11.14V oppose to the XD's not having that design, but you will get an extra 50w on the comps and 100w on the sub with the XD's. Once those numbers are considered and equipment is installed on the vehicle you have to keep in mind that the power rating for the XD's are rated at 14.4v so if you can't have a stable 14v the XD's will not be stronger as far as power oppose to the HD's. That's the way i think of it.. someone correct me if i'm wrong...

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to throw one more item into the mix, I currently own a 900/5...

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Just to throw one more item into the mix, I currently own a 900/5...
I'd say that makes it easy. Lol pick yourself up a 600.4 and get to work!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I thought - figured I'd see if there was any compelling reason not to go down this road.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Sounds like the makings of a nice solid setup. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts