DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently running NVX XSP65KIT and I am just not happy withthe sound. I think it is part due to the oversize tweeter assembly with measure about 2 1/4 inches and only fits in the stock location for the 2.5 speakers in my Chrysler 200

I am looking to run something that still allows me you utilize that location and have a tweeter that i can mount into the side pillars 1-1.1 inches max.

I have been looking at these 2 but unfortunately i do not have a way to listen to them locally.

Anyone have any expereince or constructive input about these 2 brands as far as the 3 way components?

Side note:

I am REALLY interested in picking up a pair of ALPINE SPX-17PRO's. Does anyone know where i can get these new or lightly used?

I have previously owned the SPX-17Ref's and I loved the sound and performance. Just as a point of reference.

I was also considering a set of CDT ES-62us 2 ways that i could get for around $500, I am wondering if the sound quality in those would be superior to running a 3 ways of the aforementioned brands.

I am looking to spend no more than $500-$600 on my front stage shipped and I am not all that interested in running something active.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Why not active? It's fan freaking tastic. Haha my input would be to piece something together. Now that I've done that, I cant see myself going back to sets. As for the question, haven't heard the c5, but the the set just under that. I really liked them compared to the rest of the sets they had at the shop. It really impressed me as to how smooth they sounded off the bat like that

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well this is going to sound pretty lame but I never got a chance to listen to them! The shop that I buy from also does my install work. They're a big dealer that also wholesales to most other shops and they have some pretty good experience with a lot of equipment and when I began with my system...they had great things to say about them. Problem is that they were installed and technically used because they did test and tune but I had them removed before I picked the car up because I decided to run active and purchased Dynaudio Esotars :cool: They are in the box and I believe complete with all of the original stuff. But technically they are used. The shop could not return them because I had purchased them and held onto them for 4 months before the install took place. I do know that others have also said really good things about them but one problem was with the crossover. If you like listening to music at high volumes...you will have to perform a little mod to the crossover. It has a protective circuit for the tweeter. It is really conservative and kills power when it gets a little warm. Everyone I have spoken to just simply bypassed it with out any problems. They were taught this by JL!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I have heard about people twisting the resister or whatever to create a constant connection. Well, let me know what you are looking to get for your set. Anyone have an insight on any of the speakers mentioned in this post?

·
Registered
804 Posts
I had a set of the 163's in my Honda Fit off the supplied passives off a JL XD700/5 bridged. I liked them, no complaints. I liked them enough that with my new car I stepped up the a 3 way set of Mille's. I've not heard the C5 three ways but sold and installed a few sets of the C5 two way sets without any complaints.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a set of the 163's in my Honda Fit off the supplied passives off a JL XD700/5 bridged. I liked them, no complaints. I liked them enough that with my new car I stepped up the a 3 way set of Mille's. I've not heard the C5 three ways but sold and installed a few sets of the C5 two way sets without any complaints.
I wish i had the money to buy a set of those, those mids are the perfect size for my stock location. seems like a great set of speakers (mille) I am not sure the c5's will be an option, i think 3 is the biggest i can go in the mid location.

Anyone know any dealors on here that can get me Alpine SPX-17PRO's or REFS?

·
Registered
804 Posts
I'm very happy with the sound of the Mille's and always been a fan of a proper 3 way. My other car has a set of Dyn 7/3/tweet running active so the Mille's have big shoes to fill! Good luck on your quest and keep us informed!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've looking into the NVX XSP65KIT or buying the raw sb acoustics drivers. How do you like woofer? Is the midbass strong? How low do you cross them at? Let me know what you think of the mid.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've looking into the NVX XSP65KIT or buying the raw sb acoustics drivers. How do you like woofer? Is the midbass strong? How low do you cross them at? Let me know what you think of the mid.
I own both the Arc Blacks 6.2 and decided to sell them in favor of the nvx drivers. I was able to use a promotion for 25% off NVX products on Sonic Electronix so I got the set for $300, I was able to sell my Arcs for almost twice that on craigslist. The Arcs tweeter is a bit more pronounced but the woofers performance and virtually identical. Having said that, i dont have real complaints about the nvx except that i dont really have a great spot for the tweeter aside from placing the in my factory dash 3.5 area with a bracket and i dont feel like i am fully able to appreciate them in this vehicle. they will either go in my wives new car when she gets one in late January or I will sell them to make up the difference on one of these drivers. Which is why i am trying to get more information because i dont want to be disappointed with a 3 way "upgrade" if the sound quality if not on par.

Detail in the music is great though. The mids is smooth and well blended. It is not necessarily going to replace a woofer if you listen to rap or trap/dubstep, but performs better than average and with authority with a more traditional kick bass (rock, metal etc) I experience some ear splitting highs with the tweeters imaging off of the glass almost immediately due to their placement but I experimented with the tweeters held in a few other locations and had none of the issues. The tweeters sound great, i am a stickler for vocal quality and when demoing Mariah Carey- My All, is sounds like she is singing in the car with you. Basically only in my dash because i dont have the tools or the desire to fab something for the chrysler 200. I will soon be running a pc utilizing digital out and flac files now, but mp3 files still sounded amazing on the system for what they are.

no complaints aside from the mounting issue with the tweeter. it is in the exact same casing as the black arcs (essentially a 2 1/4 inch casing)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts