DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running C5s for the past year and a half or so, the last 8-9 months being on an 600/4 HD on low voltage input. I don't know if it's my head unit or what but it seems like my passenger door tweeter may be getting a little tired. Keep in mind that I use completely flat EQ, my gains on the amp are all the way down, and my Bass/Treble output are always set to -2 or -3 through my head unit.

Question is if I need to replace my tweeters would I be able to keep my C5 midbass and just run a pair of ZR tweeters on my C5 crossovers?

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can swap out the c5 tweets for the ZRs, but keep in mind that it will be a totally different sound. My advice would be to upgrade the components completely, or just get another pair of c5 tweets.
Not sure what you think of the c5s in general, but I owned them for only two months, before I came to the conclusion that there was no more tweaking that I could do to get the midbass I was looking for. Although I'm a big JL fan, the c5s were very overrated at that price piont, although I did like the smooth tweeter.

·
Registered
324 Posts
...never heard of a tweeter 'getting tired'. Is that a volume issue or is there a death rattle?

Tweeters, generally, work or they don't. So my guess is that there's an issue upstream and the symptom is the tweeter not doing what it should. Swap RCA's from side to side & do the same with the speaker wires to diagnose the issue. If the problem moves over to the driver's side after your flip the RCA's; you have bad RCA's or a head unit issue. No change; swap the speaker wires. If the problem moves to the driver's side, you have an install issue. If it doesn't, you have an amp or passive x-over issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts