DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the JL Audio website, there will be 42 new products this year which would include a newer and third version of the W6 subwoofer--the w6v3.

This would mean the W6 should be vastly improved and the current v2 version should sell for way cheaper, meaning great deals for us!!!

Can't wait to see the specs. Sub looks beefy. Imagine if they took all the things hated about the current model and made it better ie, better sq and more spl. This could possibly be one of the greatest subs ever!!! I didn't say the best but one of the greatest!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
What do you hate about the w6v2 other than the fact that there may be a w6v3 available soon?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
This would mean the W6 should be vastly improved
O rly?

Imagine if they took all the things hated about the current model and made it better ie, better sq and more spl
Let's just add in higher efficiency, smaller box and deeper bass. Then it will be better in every way possible.

I'm not the biggest fan of the W6v2 mainly due to the ridiculous price for the mediocre output level but it is still a good driver when you look past that price, and a V3 will probably be only marginally better.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
There's nothing about the V2 that I hate. I just read where people say it doesn't have enough sq or spl. I like JL products. First subs ever where where w0's and they sounded great. I can only imagine what the newer stuff would sound like.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I don't necessarily think that W6s need more Xmax... That's what W7 is for. I just think they are expensive compared to other brands.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I was only stating what was read from forums. Some did say more sq. Others asked or stated the lack of spl. I think they are great. I am excited abut the newer models. That is all I know.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
O rly?

Let's just add in higher efficiency, smaller box and deeper bass. Then it will be better in every way possible.

I'm not the biggest fan of the W6v2 mainly due to the ridiculous price for the mediocre output level but it is still a good driver when you look past that price, and a V3 will probably be only marginally better.
It's a great driver even for the price. They absolutely do no lack low end. Mine had no problem playing 18hz, what more could you want?. Again, one of the best subs out there period. Any lack of SQ or low end is an enclosure issue, not a sub issue. I got to experience mine in everything from too small of a sealed enclosure which gave them a boomy sound with no low end to ported, to bandpass and finally to IB. I could run them way past xmax and absolutely no motor or suspension noise in IB. Absolutely silent. The suspension is awesome and I believe on the Klippel they were one of the most linear if not the most linear sub tested. I'll probably get a pair of the 13w6v3s and go IB with them.

You do realize higher efficiency, smaller box, and deeper bass don't go together, right?

Looking forward to hearing more about these v3 versions.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
After searching for more info, I can't count the number of people who have called the W6v2 a W6v3 out there. Can't find much except on JL's site but the picture looks interesting. Does Manville still post on here?

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
18Hz.... Hmmmm.... While most HUs only can reproduce 20-20000Hz, you can get 18Hz, that's interesting....
I can get lower than that. It produces a 15hz tone just fine. In fact, if I remember right I've played a 10hz tone through it before. Maybe you should upgrade to a factory Acura HU.

Just checked, found CD players that play 5hz-20khz. It looks like it suggested and normally accepted that 20hz is the cutoff point for CDs but it's not because they can't go any lower. My subs that are jumping all over the place at 15hz wold probably disagree with you too.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Well, you are right and the medical officers are wrong.... Even audiometry measurements also only measures 20-20000Hz... That's why I'm corious how you can hear it....
So now you're changing it from an equipment issue : "18Hz.... Hmmmm.... While most HUs only can reproduce 20-20000Hz, you can get 18Hz, that's interesting..." to "That's why I'm corious how you can hear it..." which is an altogether separate argument.

I never said I could hear it. I did say the sub has no problem playing 18hz as evidenced by the car shaking and the sub surpassing xmax pretty easily. However, 18hz is still audible. Mostly felt and a sense of energy but there's sound as well. Do you think every human's hearing stops at exactly 20hz? Maybe, just maybe it can vary by genetics and age. You might want to educate some of the HT guys with subs that go down to 7hz.

Anything else?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
It's a great driver even for the price. They absolutely do no lack low end. Mine had no problem playing 18hz, what more could you want?.
Whether a subwoofer lacks low end or not should be hard to tell by ear alone. Perhaps some kind of RTA is necessary. Most subwoofers can play low frequency tones. That's not the issue. The issue is there when 20Hz is 20-30dB less loud than 45Hz. This sort of thing can not be measured by ears or be predicted by simple box modeling software.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
You do realize higher efficiency, smaller box, and deeper bass don't go together, right?
Obviously. I was making fun of the guy expecting "more sq and spl."

BTW, Yes, some can hear <20Hz and >20kHz, just that our ears are less sensitive the further you go. I can hear up to at least 24kHz reasonably okay - tested with several other people who lost it around 17-20kHz - but still not as good as I can hear the lower frequencies. (Tested with a signal generator and a 2" driver at pretty low levels - I bet they'd have been able to hear 24kHz with a better/louder setup, too)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So why make fun dragon? Again, I was only stating what the possible upgrades could be based on comments read about w6v2's. So I am assuming they would be improved even more with greater sq and greater spl.

But, all I have seen is a pic. I was excited to see a newer version. Until the facts come out I can only guess or assume.

So Dragon, since it is a newer version do you think nothing has changed or improved?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Key differences are that the W6v3's have more linear excursion, stronger motor systems, a better cooling circuit and a new surround design (rubber). More details after CES.

Best regards,

Manville Smith
JL Audio, Inc.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Well I'm sure they're shooting for better SQ and likely SPL at the same time. The w6's aren't meant to get stupid loud, though multiple youtube users seem to think their video of Late Night Tip rattling the car and moving a water bottle in the vehicle means they are loud. :rolleyes: I would venture to assume that SQ will be improved unless something goes wrong, and I highly doubt that. I've got PLENTY of SPL from my setup in just over 3cuft sealed. SQ is on point.

I've never understood why people ***** about how expensive they are.....I'm selling mine for $250/sub in the Classifieds. That's cheaper than an SSA Icon, WAY cheaper than a Morel, Dynaudio, etc etc. Same people that complain how expensive and overpriced the brand is. Sure, they're pricey because they're in the masses. I think they've done enough to ask that price or close to it. Their w6/w7 and HD/Slash amps are proven to be very good...

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
To most people, SQ and SPL are the only factors there are, and just guessing that the new version will be better in every way possible makes me assume someone doesn't really know what they're talking about.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Manville. Dragon do you think something good could be made better?

I see no reason why that couldn't be a possibility :confused:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts