DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Stupid question but I don't want to break it! I just got and unboxed a TWK-88 and am thinking about the install. The instructions say, for the DRC200 control knob, to remove the inner and then the outer knobs from the shaft but NOT (their capitals) the preinstalled nut and washer. I take that to mean the knobs should just pull off the shaft. But pulling on the inner knob isn't doing anything. Before I grip the body it in a bench vice and go full cave man on it, have I misunderstood the instructions? I'd hate to break it before I've even installed it!
Circuit component Rectangle Composite material Electric blue Metal

Font Paper Document Paper product Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Disregard. Ran out of patience and attacked it with tools. Managed to pry it off with a trim tool. It now goes on and off properly, don't know how it got jammed on before I got it but it's fixed now.

Now all I have to do is learn the TÜN software :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Mine was pretty tough to get off the first time as well, but didn’t need tools. As far as the software goes, it’s very intuitive. Just remember when you get everything set up you have to click the “upload to device” button on the left. I somehow missed that part and had an hour drive home in silence after installing it.

It’s VERY nice to be able to set everything up beforehand (like crossovers & speaker distances) and then quickly upload the tune. Especially since all I needed to do was transfer settings from my previous DSP.

Reactions: sixpot

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you seen the drc205? Not too pricey but looks much more premium. I picked one up but dont have it installed yet.
I have, but £100 seems a lot when it the included drc200 has the same functionality. That said, the stupid-bright LED that the 200 uses is going to get very annoying very quickly the first time I drive at night. How that got past product testing at JL and into production baffles me. Does it never get dark in Miramar?

I found a twk88 thread on here, from back in 2017, with contributions from a JL trainer who wa saying they were aware the LED was too bright and were working on a hardware or firmware fix. I guess the fix, 5 years on, was to replace the 200 with the 205!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think i paid around $130 cad. Not a fan of the 200 for the fact the led isnt integrated into the controller and id have to drill another hole for it. Ive read a thread where someone tinted the led bulb. May be an option for you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think i paid around $130 cad. Not a fan of the 200 for the fact the led isnt integrated into the controller and id have to drill another hole for it. Ive read a thread where someone tinted the led bulb. May be an option for you.
Thanks, I'm considering tinting it, yes (y). Or snipping it off and soldering on a substitute RGB LED with a more sensible candela rating. Or, the easiest option, just installing the LED out of sight. I'll only need to see it when changing presets, to let me know which I've selected. (Why it couldn't be set to go off after a few secs like the LEDs on the Helix Controller, I don't know)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I succeeded by prying with a plastic tool from under the outer knob, taking them both off together. That was ignoring the instructions to take the inner knob off first and then the outer, but it worked. I just couldn't get a grip on the inner knob to pull hard enough to get it off alone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts