DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy everyone. So after I fried my JL HD 750/1 (involving water getting into my trunk and short circuiting the subwoofer speaker wires, long story...) I went into my trunk to check some of my electrical connects. Checked:

Main 1/0 at fuse block > main 1/0 at ground block: 14.1V
Main 1/0 at fuse block > chassis: 14.1V
750/1 4AWG at fuse block > 750/1 4AWG at ground block: 14.1V
600/4 4AWG at fuse block > 600/4 4AWG at ground block: 14.1V
750/1 turn on lead > 1/0 ground block: 13.6V
600/4 turn on lead > 1/0 ground block: 13.6V
Resistance across both amp fuses: .1Ohm

All seemed dandy. However today, while moving my car middle of the day to a closer parking lot at work, my music suddenly cut out and I all had was static on all channels. I've had, on only 2 occasions, an issue with *one* of the front channels going out with a crackle of static, only to kick back on a moment or two later (with a nudge of the volume dial) - a problem mentioned in this thread here.. Anyway, I park, check the amp, and see the dreaded protection mode red/green light. "No way did I fry two expensive amps" I think to myself.

So I pulled out both speaker harnesses (rears and fronts) and the RCAs. Power the car back up - amp comes on - no protection mode. "Thank God!" I think to myself. Turn off, plug in RCAs, turn back on. So far so good. Turn off again, plug in just rear speakers. Still good. Repeat process, re-plugging my front speakers. STILL good - as if problem was never there. Car was stationary during all the testing process.

So, my question is, what could be going on? I've checked the speaker leads for continuity but didn't find anything. Going to check the entire speaker wire length for pinched/cut spots - perhaps continuity is only brief so a moving vehicle = bump against chassis metal = protection mode for amp. Is there anything else that could be going on? I've read one thread that implied there could be something strange going on inside the amp dealing with current jumping capacitors or some such? Is there anything else to check?

Posting from work, so need this disclaimer:
"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
perhaps continuity is only brief so a moving vehicle = bump against chassis metal = protection mode for amp.

This i would check first. Hopefully it is not the alternative.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts