DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running an Alpine cda-9887 with active crossovers to a JL Audio HD900/5.

*My subwoofer channel has been giving me issues. it appears that output fluctuates between 31.3-31.6 volts occasionally, sometimes as high as 32.2 volts.

I may just be paranoid, but I remember feeling a pop once while adjusting the the input sensitivity(gain).

Before i send my 900.5 back to JL, I was wondering if my crossover could have anything to do with this.

I just realized the Alpine cda-9887 I am running with imprint utilizes an active crossover on the sub channel when using Imprint.

**I had issues with the crossover point Imprint was using so I enabled my crossover on the amplifier.

***I assume this would be considering running 2 crossovers which I remember being unwise. Could this be the source of my problem?

Thanks in advance for any help,

PS: I am running a sealed 12w6v2 (2ohm load)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump! Does anyone know the the cost of out of warranty repair for the JL HD900/5?

Purchased it from Sonicelectronix. They will not honor my warranty because I'm a year past the billing date, but not past the shipping date... I still have 3 days!!!

So remember that sonicelectronix.com does not have strong business morals or ethics!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I do not believe multiple crossovers would cause the fluctuation, unless your test tone frequency is near the crossover frequency - but even then I don't think it would cause the fluctuation.

I notice that my 900/5 does not produce a steady reading unless you get the DMM probes set just right. I usually insert them into the plug and then tighten the screw as if it were speaker wire.

Not sure that helps, just throwing those thoughts out there.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I notice that my 900/5 does not produce a steady reading unless you get the DMM probes set just right. I usually insert them into the plug and then tighten the screw as if it were speaker wire.
This is another interesting component, I lost one of those tiny little metal cylinders from inside one of the comp speaker terminals. After looking around for and hour and nearly pulling out my entire interior I could not locate it. I haven't noticed much of a difference though Imprint has been favoring one side of my car anyway so I guess It could be a factor I haven't grasped yet.

I've been taking my readings from the end of the speaker lead with the sub disconnected. A 50hz sine wave is pretty close to my 83hz crossover and who knows what kind of slope/x-over Imprint throws under that.

I'm going to get a full signal (200hz on cda-9887) reading of the sub channel with a 50hz sine and the Imprint turned off, just using the amp's x-over.

I just realized I haven't taken any volt readings with Imprint off since noticing the fluctuation, that would at least rule out the crossover dilemma.

I guess I'll do that in the parking lot of my local JL dealer who should be able to give me a repair price if the amp is truly the problem's source. I guess i'll inquire about the speaker terminal part number and price as well.

Thanks for the reply Sdevante, what are you running as an HU with your 900.5?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, I recently had my B+ cable replaced in my car, which still seem to be fine.

I've been using the same ground in my car for years without a problem, its a seat bolt, but ground down to metal on both sides.

Sure I get a little dimming when banging full vol @ highway speeds.

The HD 900/5 shouldn't require a big 3 upgrade, should it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm running a JVC Kameleon KD-AVX44 dvd player into an Audiocontrol 6xs crossover, then into the HD900/5.

I don't think that amp should require a big three upgrade b/c its only a 60 amp fuse, which is not (relatively) a lot of current.

Also, you can occasionally catch those speaker plugs on eBay for about $20 I think.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the cda-9887 definitely has an an active crossover on the sub channel.

I am going to send a defeated, full signal to the amp and take a reading of the 50hz sine on my lunch break.

This should be the deciding factor in weather or not my amplifier is malfunctioning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts