DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the spring, I want to try out some of the JL HD amps. I am running a 2way wideband setup (3" H-Audio Trinity in pillars- to be upgraded to XR3 and 6.5" H-Audio Ebony midbass) and a 10" IDQv3. I eventually want to upgrade the sub to a 12" for more output (IDMAX or W6 or similar).

I am weighing the options of a single HD900/5 or a HD600/4 and HD750/1. Obviously, the dual amp setup would be the best options, but when considering price and simplicity of installation, I wonder how much of a audible difference there will be. I know they are super clean, low noise amps, so maybe I would be fine with the 900/5 and running the gains a BIT higher (not into clipping or anything) vs running lower gains on the dual setup. This won't be an SPL setup, but I do want it to be able to get loud and stay clean.

Just wondering if anybody has compared this setup or even run both and had an opinion on if it was worthwhile to go with the 600/4+750/1 for the extra 50 and 250 watts.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
In my opinion for the cleaner more versatile option, I am doing a HD 600/4 and 750/1. This having giving me more options that my previous setup of a HD950/5. Now if cost is your main concern buy them used. Pm me if you have anymore questions. :)

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
In the spring, I want to try out some of the JL HD amps. I am running a 2way wideband setup (3" H-Audio Trinity in pillars- to be upgraded to XR3 and 6.5" H-Audio Ebony midbass) and a 10" IDQv3. I eventually want to upgrade the sub to a 12" for more output (IDMAX or W6 or similar).

I am weighing the options of a single HD900/5 or a HD600/4 and HD750/1. Obviously, the dual amp setup would be the best options, but when considering price and simplicity of installation, I wonder how much of a audible difference there will be. I know they are super clean, low noise amps, so maybe I would be fine with the 900/5 and running the gains a BIT higher (not into clipping or anything) vs running lower gains on the dual setup. This won't be an SPL setup, but I do want it to be able to get loud and stay clean.

Just wondering if anybody has compared this setup or even run both and had an opinion on if it was worthwhile to go with the 600/4+750/1 for the extra 50 and 250 watts.
It would be hard to hear a big SPL difference in 100 vs 150w but the headroom would be nice.

You might decide on the sub and enclosure first though. If you did something like a 12W6 infinite baffle, 200w would be overkill. I have my 900/5 powering my two 15s IB and it's more than enough. A pair of 12s in a small sealed enclosure could easily eat up all 750w of the 750/1.

I have the 600/4 running my mids and midbasses. I've tried the 900/5 on the midbass and there's not a huge difference but there is a difference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I run a 600/4 with a 500/1 on my 10w7 in HO box. Last weekend we popped a buddys 750/1 and yes a pretty good diff between the HD and slash. I'm now planning on a 750/1 for the car and move the 500/1 to my truck. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. Thanks guys. I'll probably end up with the 750/1 and 600/4. The sub will probably be a sealed IDmax12, so the 750 would help out there for sure. My main concern was power to the midbasses though. I'll just do it right the first time.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Pm me when you are ready for an HD 750/1, I will give you a good deal on mine.
:)

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
I was only going to sell you mine if you were in need just to make it easier.
:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts